Importance of Step 2 being higher than Step 1 for Psychiatry residencies?

hat

7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
Hi everyone. I'm a 3rd year most interested in psychiatry trying to finalize my 4th year schedule, in particular deciding when to take Step 2. I had a very high Step 1 score (260) but have not scored as highly on my shelves (typically ~80-90th percentile, though as low at 40th % on IM) and kind of doubt I will score nearly as well on Step 2. I know my Step 1 is much higher than I needed and in fact I'm wondering if it will just be an obstacle if I fail to live up to it on Step 2. The fact is I simply adopted a very formulaic and consistent approach to studying in years 1-2 that allowed me to retain information very effectively, and I have not found or had time to implement anything similar to that in 3rd year.

The way my schedule is currently laid out I will have ~3.5 weeks dedicated to study for Step 2. I feel pretty confident I would pass with that amount of time but think I would most likely see a drop or at the very least no improvement in my score from Step 1, based on my performance on shelf tests. I could potentially reschedule it and take a longer dedicated but that might kind of mess my schedule up in other ways.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I know Step scores are not emphasized as much in Psych as in many other specialties but I have heard a drop from Step 1-2 is kind of a red flag in some specialties and was just wondering if this was also true in Psych.

Mar 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My score went up 6 points, both scores in 240s, but percentile went down. Matched my number one and had more interviews then I could go on. I wouldn't worry, particularly with a score like yours.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.