importance of step 3 for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so how important is step 3 score with regard to fellowship placement after gen surgery residency? do they consider it at all? or is it just another exam u need to pass.

Asking in general, and specifically for IMGs on visa

Members don't see this ad.

nobody has any idea? at least the fellows must be knowing whether it was considered...

I think, in general, step 3 scores do not factor into fellowship placement. But the annual ABSITE exams do count.

Members don't see this ad :)
so if they dont count, no need to study for it right. just enough to pass n get it over with

no one ever asked what i got on step 3 at 10 fellowship interviews.

for transplant fellowship "applications", 90% of the places asked for a CV and letters of recc only. a few places had "standarized" applications but much less involved than the one people do for residency.

Just pass it - I've never known anyone who found that a low Step 3 score was a barrier to getting a fellowship. After all, there are only about 4 surgery questions on the entire darn thing!

thanks guys...seems i should just schedule it and get it over with. thanks

Just need to pass it. All fellowships care about is letters of rec and your ABSITE scores. And sometimes research. :)