• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Importance of taking certain classes

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
    notice that lot of medical schools have recommended classes to take that are not pre req classes, what is the importance of taking recommended classes?
    To make you a more rounded human being and not the average lab rat/hyperacheiver? In reality, it's build up your humanistic domains.

About the Ads

ciestar

All grown up!
    7+ Year Member
  • Sep 18, 2013
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Cause it’s impacting my decision on whether I should take ecology with biochemistry my fall semester or genetics with biochemistry in the fall. I’m having a tough time deciding. Genetics is tougher but might be more relevant

Genetics is for sure more useful. Take what you want, though. Biochem is super important, but you won’t fail med school genetics if you don’t take it in UG. I loved the ecology courses I took in UG and don’t regret it.

gyngyn

Alta California
      Staff member
      Administrator
      Volunteer Staff
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
    • Nov 4, 2011
      1. Attending Physician
        I mean like med schools that say taking classes in genetics, immunology and etc enhance med school success
        Many professors in med school prefer not to have to teach too hard...

Reactions: 1 users
        D

deleted421268

Genetics is for sure more useful. Take what you want, though. Biochem is super important, but you won’t fail med school genetics if you don’t take it in UG. I loved the ecology courses I took in UG and don’t regret it.
          How do medical schools view ecology? Do they consider it an upper level class? At my school it is considered upper level.

mw18

7+ Year Member
          Jan 7, 2014
          1. Medical Student
            Many professors in med school prefer not to have to teach too hard...
            Yeah, the content of the undergrad courses you see again in med school (genetics, biochem) is so much more in depth that having taken it doesn't really impart any content advantage. But knowing the language of the discipline makes it much easier.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Jun 11, 2010
            Somewhere west of St. Louis
            1. Non-Student
              Cause it’s impacting my decision on whether I should take ecology with biochemistry my fall semester or genetics with biochemistry in the fall. I’m having a tough time deciding. Genetics is tougher but might be more relevant
              Take biochem and genetics

Reactions: 1 user

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
              Feb 7, 2017
                As schools are moving away from the archaic two year basic sciences model by integrating more clinical applications and compressing the two years down to 1.5 or even 1 years, they're hoping that you come in with a good amount of foundational knowledge, hence the recommended upper level courses. Won't put you at a significant advantage if you do take them, but simply stated, it'll make life (at the beginning) a tad bit easier for everyone.

D

deleted421268

This is all keeping in mind I won't matriculate to medical school until Fall 2020 assuming I get an acceptance and I'm taking these classes Fall 2018 semester which goes from end of August 2018 to December 2018

D

deleted421268

This whole should I take ecology or genetics with biochem for my last semester is keeping in mind that my fall semester of freshman year I withdrew from bio 1 lecture and bio 1 lab than spring of freshman year withdrew from bio 1 lecture and bio 1 lab, withdrew from ochem 1 and ochem 1 lab fall semester of sophomore year. Took ochem 1 lecture and lab fall of junior year and got A in both and ochem 2 and ochem 2 lab in spring of junior year and got A in both. Took bio 1 lecture and lab fall of senior year and got B I. Lecture and A in lab. Took bio 2 lecture and lab spring of senior year and got A in lecture and A- in lab.

D

deleted421268

Based on above post between genetics and ecology with biochem? Otherwise have a 3.71 gpa haven’t taken mcat yet but going to in March/April 2019. What MCAT score do I need also in my circumstances that will make me in good shape?

Last edited by a moderator:
                      About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.