Importance of undergrad school for top tiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even people with 40s/4.0s/good ECs from state schools are consistenly denied interviews from elite med schools, but look for yourself on mdapps

That sucks. That's also almost the exact opposite of what everyone else has said.

Some schools actually post info about what schools are represented in their incoming class. If you're interested in a school that provides this information, just browse that list and get an idea of the caliber of schools the tend to accept.

I've been thinking about doing this. Where can I find information like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the deal:

Some people that go to big name schools will say that the extra prestige helps, some people who go to small schools or state schools will say that it doesn't.

Some people from both will say that it probably does make a difference, but not a significant or quantifiable one.

Just do your best where ever you are.

Yes to the second question, I hope...?
:confused::(:confused:
Medical schools typically love to boast about the students they get from Ivy schools. It's an unfortunate fact for many of us, but the truth is that, to some limited degree, medical schools definitely do pay attention to where you come from.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is probably school-dependent. Some committees pay more attention to undergrad name than others. Like others have said, it's pointless mulling over this issue. Just do your best with the resources available to you.

That's life, deal with it. Are people potentially going to have an advantage over you, with all else equal? Yes, IMO, but it doesn't matter because it's up to you to become as attractive a candidate as possible. Factors out of your control are just that, out of your control. Don't worry about them. Just put yourself in as good a situation as you can.

Absolutely agree.

There is no point in getting worked up over these things so early on in the process. The stats/ECs/personalities required for admission at these top medical schools are staggering, no matter where you come from. Of course being from HYP helps, but the overwhelming majority of these students have the stats that would've gotten them the interviews even if they came from State U.

Not everyone with a dream of going to HMS will be remotely competitive enough. Most won't even end up being competitive enough for getting into any US allo school, as the majority of premeds wash out before making it to the MCATs. Aiming high and having dreams are important, but obsessing over getting into the top medical schools makes your motives for want to become a physician suspect.

I feel like it's a dumb question, but how different is a top tier medical school from a lower ranked one? Is it the same as comparing a top ranked undergraduate university to a lower ranked one? I'm assuming the education one receives will be the same no matter what...?

The comparison is not the same. The general consensus is that the training at most/all US allopathic programs will more than prepare you to be a physician. The onus in terms of education is primarily on the student. All-star med students from any allopathic school (Good clinical grades/AOA, good USMLE scores, strong letters, research) can end up at the best residency programs, even if they aren't from HMS.

Absolutely agree.

There is no point in getting worked up over these things so early on in the process. The stats/ECs/personalities required for admission at these top medical schools are staggering, no matter where you come from. Of course being from HYP helps, but the overwhelming majority of these students have the stats that would've gotten them the interviews even if they came from State U.

Not everyone with a dream of going to HMS will be remotely competitive enough. Most won't even end up being competitive enough for getting into any US allo school, as the majority of premeds wash out before making it to the MCATs. Aiming high and having dreams are important, but obsessing over getting into the top medical schools makes your motives for want to become a physician suspect.

Agree. Don't even think about it.

The only people who need to think about this issue are HYP grads with weak or modest stats. Might their degree help them? Perhaps. Will NOT having that degree hurt you? NO!!

That sucks. That's also almost the exact opposite of what everyone else has said.

I've been thinking about doing this. Where can I find information like that?
A lot of times this information is listed on the school's admissions website. I know a few of the "Top Tier" schools post this info. So I would just dig around the admissions site of the schools you're interested in and see what you find.