Importance of USMLE for peds residency as a D.O. (NorthEast)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I'm a current 2nd year in D.O. school in the Southwest, however I'm from the East originally, so I'm striving to return a bit closer to home for my future peds residency. (I do know my interests can chance in rotations but I entered medical school with intent to do peds and I highly doubt I'd want to spend extra years specializing beyond primary care). I'm wondering, especially with both exams going P/F, how important it is for me to take USMLE in addition to COMLEX?

Are there any pediatric residents out there with a COMLEX only or is that basically impossible? Just want to know it's crucial before shelling out $1200+ and twice/triple the mental stress.

Members don't see this ad.

It really is program-specific, and there are probably some doors that would be closed to you. But given that peds is non-competitive I'm almost certain that you can likely find programs on the East coast that would accept a DO student without USMLE.

In general if you do USMLE it opens up more possibilities for you. If you think you can take it and pass I would strongly recommend you take it.

Take both, you are limiting your options significantly if you don’t. Even programs that accept comlex prefer usmle