Importance of USMLE Step 3 in getting Residency Interview Calls/Interview/Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

So the title is self explanatory here. How much importance is there of USMLE Step 3 (Pass and /or Scores) in following -

1. getting Interview calls.

2. as a help in actual Interview (and pre-match).

3. getting ranked and matched by Program

Any inputs appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Step 3 taken during your internship/residency years and as such should have no bearing on a residency placement.

You may be referring to step 2

Isn't Step 3 taken during your internship/residency years and as such should have no bearing on a residency placement.

You may be referring to step 2

I am referring to Step 3 only.

Officially Step 3 isn't a requirement for residency admission, but you can give it before your residency application to increase your competitiveness in Match.

I am referring to Step 3 only.

Officially Step 3 isn't a requirement for residency admission, but you can give it before your residency application to increase your competitiveness in Match.

Dude...you need to stop asking the same question over and over again in different posts/threads. It's annoying and against the TOS.

I already answered this question for you but let me do it again. Read carefully this time. NOBODY CARES IF YOU PASS STEP 3 BEFORE THE MATCH...NOBODY.

Actually, that's not entirely true...maybe your mom will. Especially if she paid for it.

Among AMGs and DOs it's probably only ~30-40% who even take Step 2 before applying, and probably 60% or so who have taken it by the ROL deadline. This is why programs generally filter on Step 1. It's the only universal comparator.

Good for you if you take, pass and rock Step 3 before the Match. But your hair color is likely going to be just as (more?) relevant to your ability to match as that score is.

Oh and I've looked into it. Apparently you have to have graduated and your school certify you to take step 3 so that it won't even factor into the Match.

Dude...you need to stop asking the same question over and over again in different posts/threads. It's annoying and against the TOS.

Thanks for replying.

I didn't mean to violate any terms or annoy anyone. I apologize if I did.

And thanks for clarifying. Its just that I heard from few IMG PGY1 & 2 (Neurology) that recently many programs have started looking (and giving preference) for Step 3 Pass (even if not score) in an IMG applicant.

Actually, that's not entirely true...maybe your mom will. Especially if she paid for it.

Good for you if you take, pass and rock Step 3 before the Match. But your hair color is likely going to be just as (more?) relevant to your ability to match as that score is.

Man...you really got angry...sorry once again, but I didn't mean no wrong.

@gutonc
For IMGs some of these things could be different. I heard that this can be important for IMGs in some of the community programs in NY. In fact a friend of mine(resident) told me that in his program if they had to chose between 2 candidates...preference was given to whoever has step 3 Why ? becos there is so much scut work...they will rather take somebody with a passing score than somebody who might not have time to study becos of the workload and hence fail. in other words...they dont screen with step 3....but it could be decisive in giving a pre match.

and i suspect this istrue becos I was calling some community programs in NY last week about their requirements and some of them told me that they prefer to sponsor H1 than J1(strangest thing I have ever heard and dont know the logic behind it). In such programs they probably will chose FMGs with Step 3

Reactions: 1 user
@gutonc
For IMGs some of these things could be different. I heard that this can be important for IMGs in some of the community programs in NY. In fact a friend of mine(resident) told me that in his program if they had to chose between 2 candidates...preference was given to whoever has step 3 Why ? becos there is so much scut work...they will rather take somebody with a passing score than somebody who might not have time to study becos of the workload and hence fail. in other words...they dont screen with step 3....but it could be decisive in giving a pre match....
Totally makes sense. And if one were to rock the Step 3, although it isn't required, doesn't it show your determination/work ethic/knowledge? I think that'd make a pretty big impact on PD's.

In summary, my thoughts are no harm if you don't have it and brownie points if you rock it.

Totally makes sense. And if one were to rock the Step 3, although it isn't required, doesn't it show your determination/work ethic/knowledge? I think that'd make a pretty big impact on PD's.

In summary, my thoughts are no harm if you don't have it and brownie points if you rock it.

That was basically my point as well. If you have it, good for you. If you don't, no big deal. But it sits about 18th or 19th on the list of the Top 10 Things PDs Care About.

ROBINHO and Cyneuron seem to think it's going to be a major determinant of their status in the Match. It is not.

@gutonc
For IMGs some of these things could be different. I heard that this can be important for IMGs in some of the community programs in NY. In fact a friend of mine(resident) told me that in his program if they had to chose between 2 candidates...preference was given to whoever has step 3 Why ? becos there is so much scut work...they will rather take somebody with a passing score than somebody who might not have time to study becos of the workload and hence fail. in other words...they dont screen with step 3....but it could be decisive in giving a pre match.

and i suspect this istrue becos I was calling some community programs in NY last week about their requirements and some of them told me that they prefer to sponsor H1 than J1(strangest thing I have ever heard and dont know the logic behind it). In such programs they probably will chose FMGs with Step 3

The most important use of step 3 is for the H1B visa. Without it, you can't qualify to be sponsored for one.
My guess as to why programs would prefer(and candidates definitely do) to sponsor H1B vs J1 is probably because the process is less complex and much faster.

The most important use of step 3 is for the H1B visa. Without it, you can't qualify to be sponsored for one.
My guess as to why programs would prefer(and candidates definitely do) to sponsor H1B vs J1 is probably because the process is less complex and much faster.

H1B isnt faster...it is more complicated and more expensive as u need authorization from the Department of State, a lawyer, and high fees. For J1...a DS 2019 is routinely issued in 6-8 weeks if your documents are in order.

Btw the pt I was trying to make is that...some programs prefer H1B so obviously Step 3 can be a factor in offering Pre match(check original question in this thread).
My own resident friend told me that his program prefers to select candidates with step 3 already done because of scut work.

Dont kill the messsenger. I have no fixed opinion about S3 as I havent written it and not in a hurry to write it.

I rarely step in to say something unless I know it's true, but as a service to those IMGs that went unmatched...according to the PDs in my field, path, it is important. This may be an exception as a field, but if other PDs react the same, you should be aware---s3 is a filtration mechanism at least applicable to IMG candidates.

H1B isnt faster...it is more complicated and more expensive as u need authorization from the Department of State, a lawyer, and high fees. For J1...a DS 2019 is routinely issued in 6-8 weeks if your documents are in order.

Btw the pt I was trying to make is that...some programs prefer H1B so obviously Step 3 can be a factor in offering Pre match(check original question in this thread).
My own resident friend told me that his program prefers to select candidates with step 3 already done because of scut work.

Dont kill the messsenger. I have no fixed opinion about S3 as I havent written it and not in a hurry to write it.

US IMG here

3 of my friends just tried match
-two took step 3 and passed
-one did NOT take step 3

All had nearly identical step 1 / step 2 scores, no failures, no red flags

My counselor and my school has repeatedly mentioned taking Step 3 as a MUST especially if your score on Step 1 is under 230-240.