MD Importance of volunteering for residency app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariokart101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to continue volunteering as a medical assistant for a free clinic (have been volunteering here throughout college and will be starting medical school in August). It's only a few hours every Sunday morning. I mainly take patient history and vitals (so like basic stuff HS/college students can do). Is it worth it to continue this for residency app competitiveness? Or not really? (Interested in EM). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't mean a lot at all for residency. They don't really care unless you do something crazy huge. Keep doing it if you enjoy it

Reactions: 1 users
This is not premed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Literally all that matters is your step score.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not premed.
says the premed :rolleyes:

Volunteering is not required by any means, but I can say that I was asked about my volunteering experiences at numerous residency interviews. Step score and grades is important for getting interviews, but once there they want to find out who you are as a person and for that you will need to have something to talk about. Volunteer activities is just another thing in your back pocket for that occasional interviewer who is actually interested. If it's important to you and you enjoy it, then definitely continue doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop. As a medical student, your free time will be very limited, so don’t waste time doing something like this. It’s unimportant for residency application, and your role does nothing to enhance your clinical skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.