Importance of your school's affiliated hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2beadoc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that a student’s chance of matching into a competitive residency is highly increased if that person previously did a rotation at that site. Most medical schools assign students to do their core rotations (required first 8 months) at specific affiliated hospitals. Sure you can always take an elective at any other programs during your 4th year but by that time you’ve already applied to residency. Does doing your core rotation at a hospital that has the residency program you want gives you a big advantage in terms of matching into that residency (especially if it’s a competitive one)? And if so should you make sure you attend a medical school that has affiliated hospitals with good residency programs?

Thanks for everyone’s help

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone just tell me if choosing a school that has great affiliated hospitals important when it comes to matching into a competitive residency or is it better to pick a school more based on how well they'll prepare you for the boards?

I'm interested in an answer to this question as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
how well they'll prepare you for boards. You can always go and rotate at those specific hospitals or programs you think are competitive and you want to get in to. But if you dont rock your boards, there's not a huge chance you'll get into a competitive spot, even if its at your institution.

how well they'll prepare you for boards. You can always go and rotate at those specific hospitals or programs you think are competitive and you want to get in to. But if you dont rock your boards, there's not a huge chance you'll get into a competitive spot, even if its at your institution.
True, but you can't really do those independent rotations till 4th year? By that time you've already applied for residency

Eh, you can use the end of 3rd year (summer) and the first few months of 4th year to check out/audition places you want to go. Thats what I'm planning on doing at least. Because as a 3rd year it will be tough to get somewhere you really like at the beginning of the year and then not only not get to do anything because you're a 3rd year, since you havent experienced any clinical medicine you really dont know anything so you wont really know anything about what goes on. Just my $0.02. :D.

It is somewhat important where you do your clinical rotations, and if all other factors are equal to you, I would choose a school based on its affiliation with major hospitals. This is the one area where DO schools suffer in my opinion... as most only have loose affiliations with multiple hospitals rather than one major reputable teaching hospital.

You have plenty of time to do electives and make an impression during 4th year, however. You don't apply to residencies until September of your 4th year, so this gives you July (most ppl use this month to study for boards though), August, and September as your "hot months" for auditioning and getting LORs at places you want to go. By this time, you've done your cores and can perform adequately. Even though you should turn in your LORs by September, keep in mind that interviews continue well into the end of January for most residencies, therefore you also have October, November, December, and January to do electives and at least have someone put in a good word for you to the program director by email or an evaluation.

So isn't best to attend a school that offers more electives with flexibility during clinicals?

It depends on you. One of the reasons I was chose my school was because there was much more flexibility 4th year. The only requirement is that I think 60% of our rotations have to be in our homestate and we have like 3 months of required stuff. The rest is pretty much a free-for-all

from my understanding PCOM has a lot of flexibility as well..we have an Elective and IM/Selective in Third yr. I don't really know anything about this stuff yet though

So isn't best to attend a school that offers more electives with flexibility during clinicals?

Yes, most definitely. But you should factor in the reputation of the core hospital sites as well, and how many rotations ares spent there. Each school should have a list of the core sites... check out the websites for each one. An honors grade and solid LOR from Mt Sinai Medical Center of Miami Beach or Miami Children's Hospital (both NSU-COM affiliates well-established as strong teaching hospitals for both DOs and MDs) will carry more weight than from a small outpatient clinic.

I'm not plugging my school here, it's just what I know.

from my understanding PCOM has a lot of flexibility as well..we have an Elective and IM/Selective in Third yr. I don't really know anything about this stuff yet though

you have two free blocks in third year that can be used for your electives or your selectives or ambulatory surgery. Though many people use this as an oppurtunity to figure out what they want to do when they grow up.

When I applied and had to narrow down my acceptances I looked ahead to 3rd/4th year scheduling and where the core sites would be as I felt that 3rd/4th year education was not of equal quality amongst the DO schools. Some programs give you very little elective time and had a lot of FM/rural requirements, and others had a lot of elective time (KCUMB, DMU, PCOM...etc.). I really wanted to be as flexible as possible, and didn't want my school to pigeon hole me into a lot of rotations.

I am happy with the way KCUMB has 3rd and 4th year set up. For MSIII you have your standard FM rotations, peds, psych, OB/Gyn, surgery and internal medicine. For surgery and internal med you usually do 1 month each of general surgery and general internal med; then you get the choice to do 1 month in a surgical sub-specialty and 1 month in a medical sub-specialty. So if you have an interest in a surgical field like uro/ortho/plastics you can see if you like it 3rd year during that sub-specialty month. Then you also have a 1 month elective (will become 2 months for class of 2012) where you can do any rotation you want. Then 4th year you only have 3 required rotations (EM/cardiology/underserved), and 7 months of elective/sub-i/interview,vacation,elective. So we basically have 8 months of electives (will become 9 for class of 2012). That is the kind of flexibility that I really wanted; since the school doesn't know what field of medicine I will eventually want to go into. Make me take the basics and foundational rotations, then leave the rest up to me.

Yes, most definitely. But you should factor in the reputation of the core hospital sites as well, and how many rotations ares spent there. Each school should have a list of the core sites... check out the websites for each one. An honors grade and solid LOR from Mt Sinai Medical Center of Miami Beach or Miami Children's Hospital (both NSU-COM affiliates well-established as strong teaching hospitals for both DOs and MDs) will carry more weight than from a small outpatient clinic.

I'm not plugging my school here, it's just what I know.

Imho the reputation of the core hospital doesn't really matter. What one should be looking for is a solid teaching environment where one will be able to learn medicine. There are many factors to look for at a core site but there are several that stood out to me when I had to decide;

1) Diverse patient population- I didn't want to be at a core site that was in a ritzy suburban area which only saw middle and upper middle class patients. You really want to see the broad spectrum of patients; from those that live on the streets, to those that drive BMWs. To not have a diverse patient population does one's education a disservice.

2) Variety of pathology- this goes with the above, but I felt it was important to see not only the bread and butter cases like diabetes and MIs, but also gun and knife club trauma, HIV, high-risk deliveries..etc. I wanted the full gambit when looking at a core site.

3) High case load- I wanted to be at a program where I wouldn't have to fight with other med students to be on a case. I wanted enough admits and cases to be done at the hospital to insure there would be enough cases to go around and that there wouldn't be fighting for cases.

4) Student to attending ratio- This goes with the previous. It is important that there are enough attending around to teach and insure the ratio is low. If there are too many students per attending you run the risk of not getting enough hands on experience.

5) Some resident programs, but not a lot- some core sites don't have any residency programs and sell themselves as being better since it is strictly preceptorship based giving you the lime light with your attending. This is very true in many circumstance and I have had friends that were 1st assist for all their surgery rotations. However, this kind of setup can be hit-or-miss imho. If you have a preceptor that isn't really good at teaching/explaining things, or giving you hands on experience, it can end up being a very very long month in which you feel like it was a waste. On the other hand if there are residents, you run the risk of loosing the hands on experience since the residents need to log cases in order to become certified in their residency. However if you go back to #3, if there are enough cases to go around, there should be enough for even a medical student to get hands on experience during a rotation. Also if an attending isn't a good teacher, hopefully you can count on a resident to teach you and show you things.

6) Variety of medical specialties- this is another important factor. Sure it might be nice to have your core site at a place you want to do your EM residency, but what happens if you do that rotation as your elective in 3rd year and found out you don't like it? I think it is important to have the possibility of being exposed to the vast majority of specialties; like plastics, ortho, uro, med specialties, rad onc, trauma surgery...etc. All core sites will have the general rotations of medicine, surgery, peds, FM...etc. I felt it was important that other rotations were available in case I become interested in 3rd year and wanted to do an elective to see if it was something I liked before 4th yea.

7) Didactics- I feel this is an important aspect of any core site/clinical rotation. Some sites don't offer this, and I feel that leaves students at a disadvantage.

Not sure if any of this helped you, but those were some of the thoughts that I had when I had to pick a core site. Each person will have different criteria when looking where to go. Some people want to move closer to family or a significant other. Some will want to go to one particular core site because that has their derm residency that they want to apply to. Others pick a place that they think will be fun. So I think it is important to determine what you want to get out of your clinical rotations.

Last edited:
For those interested here is a list of CCOM's rotation sites.

Anyone from CCOM want to chime in wehther the core rotation sites are regarded high or at least some what comparable to other great sites..?