Important books for 1st yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Outside of the Netters, Atlas and Lippin for Biochem, what else is everyone getting. Since text books are said to be a waste, I'm not really getting them except for the essentials listed above, plus friends at my med schl are lettin me use their other ones.

ok so far I've collected from friends

Board Review series(BRS) for Gross Anatomy, Biochem, Micro/Immunology.

bought: Key facts for anatomy and physiology (10 med students swore by this one, so it must be decent)
anatomy coloring book (as funny as it sounds, I've had 7 med students approve of it, and I'm a visual learner, break out the felt pens:p )

bought 1st aid for usmle step 1 2004, great review for classes

Might get step up by summer

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't bought anything yet, but I would like to hear what people have to say. Anyone... anyone?

Maybe this oughta be in the Allo thread.

Celestron2000 said:
I haven't bought anything yet, but I would like to hear what people have to say. Anyone... anyone?

Maybe this oughta be in the Allo thread.

yeah there are some on allo thread, thats how i decided to get key facts for anatomy/phys and 1st aid. I just wanted to see what other folks were thinkin bout

Members don't see this ad :)
are ya'll talking about for next year's entering class? isn't it a little early to be worried about this? how about just waiting till orientation and finding out what your specific school, and especially the upperclassmen at that school, have to say on the subject.

FWIW, here's what I used in the SMP year at Georgetown (no, I didn't buy all of them ;)):

Embryo
Langman's -- get it, it's great, much better than Larsen which was "required"
Larson -- ok, not always clear though, glad I didn't pay for it

Histo
Wheater's Atlas -- very good, helps if you want to learn instead of memorizing
Junquira -- eh, ok...anyone want it?

Biochem
Metabolism at a Glance -- great help, very well laid out, but large book
Lippincott review -- didn't use it much, but definitely will next year
BRS -- meh, ok, too bad you can't return review books (Edit: It's actually NMS that I didn't like, not BRS)
Molecular Bio of the Cell (Alberts et al) -- actually very helpful

Physio
Boron and Boulpaep -- yuck, too detailed for a short med school course (***** and Bullcrap), gave up reading it after about a week, want my money back! :mad:
Guyton -- seemed much better than Boron, just used for a few sections, may have to get my own as a reference
Costanza -- after giving up on Boron, got the textbook, BRS, and BRS problems, all very helpful, well-written
Vander's Renal Physiology -- great
Berne & Levy's Cardiovascular Physiology -- good
West's Respiratory Physiology -- great

Immunology
Kuby -- :thumbup: already had it, was familiar with it
Micro
Micro Made Ridiculously Simple -- :thumbup: too detailed for the course we had, but saving it

Endocrinology
Hadley -- got text in college, mostly used lecturers' notes, and class notes

Biostats
High Yield -- perfect for the course

Neuro
Neuroanatomy BRS -- good
Haines Atlas -- ok
Nolte Atlas -- much better than Haines
Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple -- suprisingly helpful
Purves -- Nolte text would have been better

This site was great for neuro and the cardio part of physio: http://medlib.med.utah.edu/kw/

Whew, I think that's it!

I'll be adding just a few things for first year:

Anatomy
Netter's Atlas and Flash Cards
Rohen Atlas
"baby" Moore (if necessary)

Neuro
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases (Blumenfeld)
Nolte text

Hutchinson's Clinical Methods -- to remind myself that I will get to do this part of it soon enough ;), and to get clinical correlates for boards

Step 1 First Aid -- to get an idea of what to focus on for boards, and to review in the summer after first year

Wow, thanks! When I get my Karma-granting powers back, you're definately getting some for that post. :clap:

I just wanted to let y'all know that I found some of the coloring books (anatomy + human brain + micro) on overstock.com for $12, which is a little cheaper than amazon.

lessismoe said:
I just wanted to let y'all know that I found some of the coloring books (anatomy + human brain + micro) on overstock.com for $12, which is a little cheaper than amazon.

oh wow nice!

Here is my advice:

Must have books:
BRS Path and Physio
Medical Microbiology made rediculously simple
Netter (for anatomy)
First Aid
Should have books:
Robbins Pathological basis of disease (will use the rest of your life, but should rad at least once)
Costanza's Physiology (Same writer as BRS but more in depth. Can ditch all your physio classes with this book)
Lippencotts Biochem (long, but covers everything)
Lippencotts Pharm (long, way to many drugs, but best source out there. Follow along in class with it)

Probably have:
Rohens for anatomy (great for seeing the actual disections)
BRS Gross Anatomy

Flash card sets I absolutely love:
PharmCards
PathCards
MicroCards
(note, not BRS cards. Those are absolutely HORRIBLE)

Thanks everyone, this is coming along great!

ok i need to get BRS Path and Phy from friends. I dont have Pathology till the spring

So next books for me to get BRS Phys and maybe Constanza

I highly recommend the "Made Rediculously Simple" series, especially microbiology and acid/base/electrolytes.

Other books I liked for 1st/2nd year:
1) Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy (baby version available and highly recommended)
2) Lange: Microbiology and Immunology
3) Lilly: Pathophysiology of Heart Disease (the Bomb!)
4) Dubin: Rapid Interpretation of EKGs
5) Weinberger: Principles of Pulmonary Medicine
6) Compton: Pathologic Basis of Disease: Self Assessment and Review (review book for Robbins)

I still use many of these books as a fourth year. Feel free to email/PM me.

People are buying books already???

Don't the books you need depend on the school, class, professor?

Should I be shopping now? :confused:

Eraserhead said:
Should I be shopping now? :confused:

Honey, you should ALWAYS be shopping, what's wrong with you? ;)

the book i referred to more than any other was robbins' path. other than that the brs series is great for phys and path. maybe a micro made ridiculously simple. its great, you really don't need many books.

i would recommend that you save your money and wait until you get to school. many have book sales for ama or amsa. you can pick up books in good shape on the cheap. another great option is hitting up all the ms2 kids after they take the boards.

at UCSD we do anatomy during the second year, so I definitely won't buy those.

are these books really used by ALL medical students?

japhy said:
the book i referred to more than any other was robbins' path. other than that the brs series is great for phys and path. maybe a micro made ridiculously simple. its great, you really don't need many books.

i would recommend that you save your money and wait until you get to school. many have book sales for ama or amsa. you can pick up books in good shape on the cheap. another great option is hitting up all the ms2 kids after they take the boards.

most of my books are free from friends, i just want to know which ones to ask for :D
so not really buying, just gathering :laugh:

So, with regards to USMLE prep-books, how important do you think it is to have up-to-date ones?

The ones I mainly used in the first year were Netter's, Lippincott's Pharm, Ganong's Phys and CMDT. In second year, I added Harrison's, Goroll and Robbins.