Important for doctors to be fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CTSballer11 said:
You have to remember in certain fields(surgery) long hours are required becuase you must closely watch and manage your patients recovery. You are usually paid by how many procedures you perform in a year. SO you are forced to do more and more ( reinbursements are down for procedures) and inturn you are caring for more patients at odd hours. Hey, at least your wife can spend the cash right? :thumbup:
why not just take on fewer patients then? wouldnt it be pretty relaxing to work 40 hours/week and see few patients, and socialize, read and play golf the rest of the time? surely there must be more to it. nobody can be forced to work 80 hours to make 300k vs working 40 for 150k? if that is so then its pure lust for money, at the expense of many of the finer things in life

as for beauty, its all about the symmetry, neoteny, and .7 waist/hip ratio :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

BooMed said:
I would say that a lot of wealth is proportional to inheritance, particularly huge amounts of wealth. It would take me an awfully long time to earn the 2 million dollars that my best friend is going to inherit when she turns 24. And no, she does not have a job nor any motivation to ever get one. Sometimes not working really does pay off! :laugh:
the vast majority of millionaires and billionaries did not achieve that status through inheritance though. although i think quite a few do inherit family businesses and then go on to turn them into money machines. but it takes skill to do that, not pure luck of being an heir. i think if you ask most tycoons how they amassed their wealth, it would not be solely through their family. so, paris hilton is an aberration. but, she is getting involved in business i think, so maybe shes legit. olsens too

I am a fat M4. I agree with whoever said that M3 year and residency would be easier if someone is in shape. My feet and back sure hurt after a long day in surgery and I imagine this would be much less if I were thinner/more fit. However, I really don't think weight has anything to do with being a good doctor or being role models for patients. Everybody knows that it is better for your health to eat well and lose weight (if you're heavy). An interaction with a fat or thin doctor is just not going to have much impact on this when you think about all the messages you get over your entire life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Labslave said:
Before you emphasize this word during one of your interviews and have your interviewer suddenly frown at you, it's preventive medicine, not preventative...

I made this mistake on my personal statement and slap myself in the face at least once a day for doing so. :p

Don't slap yourself anymore :) . In the dictionary, the two words are interchangeable.

This is real important for me, i wanted to see others opinoins. I actually enjoy lifting weight and running and i really think the image you give off is unbelievably important. If you are fat the vast majority of peoples first opinoin of you is that your lazy and sloppy IMO. Anyone can find time each week to workout its not that all you really need is 3-6 hours a week. At the moment i have had a groin injury and have not been able to lift or run as much as id like and have put on about 10 pounds. I can tell you i feel like crap, i have less energy and feel obese all day long.

Wait. . . 0.7 waist/hip ratio? Ok. . . *calculates* 0.65714. Any preferences for wait/bust ratio, or are you not quite that picky, shred?

As far as fitness, I certainly agree that it is possible to be "overweight" but still "in shape". However, I also agree that the majority of people in this country particularly don't get NEARLY enough exercise. I mean, hell, what's 30 mins of cardio 3x/week??! Get up half an hour earlier 3 days a week - really, it's not that much of a stretch.

TBQH I think 80% of the people I know would drop pounds dramatically if they actually watched their portion sizes. :rolleyes: Or maybe did something else with their hands other than snacking when they watch TV.

As far as the image that you project, I think that it's QUITE important for a doctor to be in good health. I mean, it's not ATTRACTIVENESS that's the issue - not everyone can be a beauty queen or an abercrombie model - it's an overall impression of health and vitality that not only could set a good example for your patients, but might also subconsciously affect their motivation to take your advice. Hell, I'd be more likely to exercise more if a fit, athletic Dr. told me to rather than a tubster, despite equal qualifications.

Shredder said:
why not just take on fewer patients then? wouldnt it be pretty relaxing to work 40 hours/week and see few patients, and socialize, read and play golf the rest of the time? surely there must be more to it. nobody can be forced to work 80 hours to make 300k vs working 40 for 150k? if that is so then its pure lust for money, at the expense of many of the finer things in life

as for beauty, its all about the symmetry, neoteny, and .7 waist/hip ratio :thumbup:

I guess 150K is not worth it to the majority of docs out there. I think when you first start out you are obligated to work long hours to make a name for yourself and to make money for your partners.

Gotta love beautiful women. What the world be like without them?

it is hard to find time to work out, but i know i need to do it, because i don't want to be a big guy for interviews. also the stress sometimes is so bad that i have given in with smoking a couple times, but i don't have an addicting personality. i usually smoke for 2-3 weeks, and then quit for 3-6 months. then i lose it again. hopefully i am done for good this time.

jackets5 said:
If you are fat the vast majority of peoples first opinoin of you is that your lazy and sloppy IMO. Anyone can find time each week to workout its not that all you really need is 3-6 hours a week. At the moment i have had a groin injury and have not been able to lift or run as much as id like and have put on about 10 pounds. I can tell you i feel like crap, i have less energy and feel obese all day long.

I agree with you that many people assume you are lazy if you are fat. But your own story (gaining ten pounds from an injury) proves that this is not always true. Personally, I have congenital heart disease and can't really "work out" the way most people do (I can walk, which I do).

I am not using this as an excuse - I have a terrible diet and certainly could weigh less if I ate healthier. But my point is that sometimes people have extenuating circumstances contributing to their weight that is not obvious.

I agree with the stereotype about fat interviewees, but it's really not fair. I have the same thoughts when I see people in the plus-size section buying clothes, or eating dessert at a restaurant when they're obese, but at the same time I am overweight myself. I just found out that I'm insulin resistant, which is why I haven't been able to lose any weight over the past few years, and why all my weight is around my waist.

I hope I am not a reapplicant this year because I wore a size 14 last year. I exercise at least three times a week, usually more, and I have been eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc. for years now. I hardly ever eat at fast food restaurants, yet I still couldn't lose the weight.

I have an endocrine disorder that has caused me to gain some weight. I wonder how many other people have a similar condition and get stereotyped just like I probably do?

I think it's different for doctors, since we do expect them to set an example. But sometimes there are factors that work against you and for some people it's nearly impossible to be at a normal weight (whatever that means!). Sometimes it's bad genes, sometimes it's stress, and sometimes it's hormones and other chemicals in your body.

I hope I can be less judgmental of people when I'm a physician. It's hard in our unforgiving society. :thumbdown:

mustangsally65 said:
I agree with the stereotype about fat interviewees, but it's really not fair. I have the same thoughts when I see people in the plus-size section buying clothes, or eating dessert at a restaurant when they're obese, but at the same time I am overweight myself. I just found out that I'm insulin resistant, which is why I haven't been able to lose any weight over the past few years, and why all my weight is around my waist.

I hope I am not a reapplicant this year because I wore a size 14 last year. I exercise at least three times a week, usually more, and I have been eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc. for years now. I hardly ever eat at fast food restaurants, yet I still couldn't lose the weight.

I have an endocrine disorder that has caused me to gain some weight. I wonder how many other people have a similar condition and get stereotyped just like I probably do?

I think it's different for doctors, since we do expect them to set an example. But sometimes there are factors that work against you and for some people it's nearly impossible to be at a normal weight (whatever that means!). Sometimes it's bad genes, sometimes it's stress, and sometimes it's hormones and other chemicals in your body.

I hope I can be less judgmental of people when I'm a physician. It's hard in our unforgiving society. :thumbdown:

A healthy physician's patients are probably more likely to listen to their docs advice about weight loss, exercise etc. This does not mean that a physician a little on the heavy side will not be a good doctor or have patients that do not comply with their medical decisions. I myself stay in shape for myself not any future patients. Women are attracted to guys who look better, healthy body, healthy mind etc.

seilienne said:
Wait. . . 0.7 waist/hip ratio? Ok. . . *calculates* 0.65714. Any preferences for wait/bust ratio, or are you not quite that picky, shred?
:laugh: no i dont go around with a measuring tape, i only listen to what scientists claim is supposed to be good looking

Waist-to-hip ratio
Scientists have discovered that the waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) is a significant factor in judging female attractiveness. Women with a 0.7 WHR (waist circumference that is 70% of the hip circumference) are invariably rated as more attractive by men, regardless of their culture. Such diverse beauty icons as Marilyn Monroe, Twiggy, Sophia Loren, Kate Moss, and the Venus de Milo all have ratios around 0.7. The ratio signals fertility—as they age, women's waists thicken as their fertility declines.
ctsballer the thing is that leisure is what ppl work for, not money. money is worthless if you cant spend it. theres a balance between how much ppl work and how much time they devote to leisure, and that depends on wage rate. workload increases up to a certain wage rate, but after a certain wage the number of working hours declines as ppl value leisure more. and i think docs who work 80 hrs/week are far beyond that point. do they really work that much by choice? or is the Man telling them to? but which Man is telling them to work that much :confused:

Labour_supply_small.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_economics#Neoclassical_microeconomic_model_.E2.80.94_Supply

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that many people are addicted to working too much, and attached to the lifestyle that it produces. My father-in-law (an internal medicine doc) often tells me about how he used to work too much when he was younger because it was an ego boost. He spent all of his time helping everybody else and really liked being a "perfect doctor." Later he realized that when you have a higher self esteem, you don't need to be constantly validated by others time to feel good about yourself.

Another example is my uncle (anesthesiology). He supports a family of four living an extravagant lifestyle (which he never gets to enjoy). If he didn't work 80+ hours per week, they would have to give up a lot of stuff. It's like he's running in a rat wheel just to buy them more things. :( :scared:

Yes, but the truth is the majority of people dont have a congenital problem or injuries. I know there are people who have phyisically limiting problems but those people are probally small in numbers. Also, ive gained 10 pounds but im really not fat. I just consider it myself fat since i have a little complex with the way i look, if i cant see my abs i think im fat. Didnt mean to offend people with serious congenital and phyisical problems

I also want to clarify something. There is a huge difference between fat and unfit. Playing football there are alot of guys who people may say are "fat", pretty much the lineman who are 6'3+ 280+. They carrry bodyfat but you tell there is alot of muscle mass below it and during conditioning we all work up to running 20x110 yards in specfic times with 30-45 sec rest intervals. Those people are fit. Its the people who eat like crap and do nothing physical out of sheer laziness are unfit. I know i can pretty much tell by looking at someones physique whether or not the person workouts despite their bodyfat levels

beary said:
I agree with you that many people assume you are lazy if you are fat. But your own story (gaining ten pounds from an injury) proves that this is not always true. Personally, I have congenital heart disease and can't really "work out" the way most people do (I can walk, which I do).

I am not using this as an excuse - I have a terrible diet and certainly could weigh less if I ate healthier. But my point is that sometimes people have extenuating circumstances contributing to their weight that is not obvious.

Shredder said:
:laugh: no i dont go around with a measuring tape, i only listen to what scientists claim is supposed to be good looking

ok, i really dont mean to digress from the original topic, but attractiveness (in the objective sense) is based solely on measurements between various body parts and the most "beautiful" people have ratios near phi, also called the golden ratio, 1:1.618

*back to the original topic*
do patients and other people in general view thin doctors in a negative way? or is it "better" (relatively speaking) to be a thin doctor than an overweight one?

jtank said:
do patients and other people in general view thin doctors in a negative way? or is it "better" (relatively speaking) to be a thin doctor than an overweight one?

I certainly think it is "better" to be a thin doctor than an overweight one. I can't see why people would view thin doctors negatively.

beary said:
I certainly think it is "better" to be a thin doctor than an overweight one. I can't see why people would view thin doctors negatively.

oops, i meant underweight, like people that cant gain weight bc of high metabolism (like me) =p
are they seen as less assertive, powerful, mature..?

jtank said:
oops, i meant underweight, like people that cant gain weight bc of high metabolism (like me) =p
are they seen as less assertive, powerful, mature..?

I doubt it. Probably, "perfect weight" > underweight > overweight. But I basically think assertiveness and maturity are a function of attitude.

At least for me, weight and looks are pretty much a first impression thing only. Once I get to know somebody, I don't really notice any of these things.

If you can't gain weight, don't worry about it.

jackets5 said:
Do you guys think it is important for doctors to be physically fit? I think it is very important. how can we tell a patient that he/she needs to lose weight or be at risk for heart disease, diabetes etc. if we are fat ourselves. I also think doctors shouldnt smoke cigarettes as it is probally the most dangerous, disgusting thing anyone can do. My thing is how can you expect a patient to really listen to your advice if you cant do the correct things in your own life.

Hi there,
You can be overweight and fit. I know of no physician that smokes cigarettes at my institution. Many nurses and technicians are the smokers that are crowded around the doors puffing on cigarettes.

Most patients will listen to anyone who gives good information that is understandable. Losing weight is not the most important thing that a patient can do to reduce their risk for cardiovascular disease but becoming active and stopping smoking can do more. The weight loss will generally come so I do not chide patients who are active non-smokers about losing weight. By increasing activity, most people lose weight anyway.

Being overweight is not a character flaw if you are otherwise fit. Living a healthy lifestyle is more of an example to your patients than anything else and giving good understandable strategies for living that lifestyle is paramount. If you just scream about losing weight and you do not provide a good strategy, you are going to find yourself with no patients.

I am a general surgery resident who will do a fellowship in vascular surgery. Most of the amputations that I do are in normal weight, diabetic smokers. My lung cancer patients have all been pretty thin too.

njbmd :)

Labslave said:
Before you emphasize this word during one of your interviews and have your interviewer suddenly frown at you, it's preventive medicine, not preventative...

I made this mistake on my personal statement and slap myself in the face at least once a day for doing so. :p

I made this mistake....AT MY INTERVIEW...as soon as i said it, i knew i had messed up, and was praying that i said it fast enough that it sounded like a badly pronounced preventive :scared:

seilienne said:
Dang, thanks for the heads up!

"pre·ven·tive Audio pronunciation of "preventative" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-vntv) also pre·ven·ta·tive (-t-tv)
adj.

1. Intended or used to prevent or hinder; acting as an obstacle: preventive measures.
2. Carried out to deter expected aggression by hostile forces.
3. Preventing or slowing the course of an illness or disease; prophylactic: preventive medicine; preventive health care."

I guess colloquially "preventative" is fine but "preventive" seems to be the standard phrase in the biz, as it were.

lol, this is funny....now i actually feel much better about myself...all b/c of ones stupid word :laugh:

jackets5 said:
Do you guys think it is important for doctors to be physically fit? I think it is very important. how can we tell a patient that he/she needs to lose weight or be at risk for heart disease, diabetes etc. if we are fat ourselves. I also think doctors shouldnt smoke cigarettes as it is probally the most dangerous, disgusting thing anyone can do. My thing is how can you expect a patient to really listen to your advice if you cant do the correct things in your own life.

a no brainer question....

doctors need to lead by example... not being obese like 60% of the americans are... and quit smoking.... and other things...

jeez, i had to lose 8 pounds in 2 weeks just to look slim at my interviews.

jtank said:
ok, i really dont mean to digress from the original topic, but attractiveness (in the objective sense) is based solely on measurements between various body parts and the most "beautiful" people have ratios near phi, also called the golden ratio, 1:1.618

*back to the original topic*
yeah, the golden ratio is not just in human beauty but i think in lots of different phenomena in nature. interesting how it applies to so many things across the board. i think the most beautiful faces comply to that ratio and fit perfectly into some beauty mask mold that scientists have made. ah, so beauty is not truly in the eye of the beholder.

BMI is a bogus measure of fitness. it needs to be done away with, and instead ppl should use BMR or lean body mass percentage.

mustangsally65 said:

Yeah, I get stereotyped too. Anyone who knows me knows I eat way less than most ppl, and I can rarely sit still. I think I have the same disorder as you (PCOS?) which encompasses a lot of different problems. I've decided finding the right suit and not paying attention to the fact that I'm the only female interviewee above a size 4 in the room helps.

Also, just keep up with the exercise & eating right. I've been insulin resistant for 7 yrs, but I've kept everything else good (BP, cholesterol, fasting glucose), so that way at least I'll be less likely to get diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc.

jackets5 said:
Yes, but the truth is the majority of people dont have a congenital problem or injuries. I know there are people who have phyisically limiting problems but those people are probally small in numbers. Also, ive gained 10 pounds but im really not fat. I just consider it myself fat since i have a little complex with the way i look, if i cant see my abs i think im fat. Didnt mean to offend people with serious congenital and phyisical problems

I also want to clarify something. There is a huge difference between fat and unfit. Playing football there are alot of guys who people may say are "fat", pretty much the lineman who are 6'3+ 280+. They carrry bodyfat but you tell there is alot of muscle mass below it and during conditioning we all work up to running 20x110 yards in specfic times with 30-45 sec rest intervals. Those people are fit. Its the people who eat like crap and do nothing physical out of sheer laziness are unfit. I know i can pretty much tell by looking at someones physique whether or not the person workouts despite their bodyfat levels

I know you're talking about the 50% of americans who are overweight/obese, but you have to understand that just looking at someone can't give you the whole picture. Up to 10% of women have hormone probs that don't allow them to lose weight, among other much more devastating probs, such as insulin resistance, diabetes, amenorrhoea, infertility, etc. Having insulin resistance means you carry your weight around your abdomen, no matter how much you work out, which makes you look fat & lazy, even if you are an exercise instructor at a gym.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
You can be overweight and fit. I know of no physician that smokes cigarettes at my institution. Many nurses and technicians are the smokers that are crowded around the doors puffing on cigarettes.

Most patients will listen to anyone who gives good information that is understandable. Losing weight is not the most important thing that a patient can do to reduce their risk for cardiovascular disease but becoming active and stopping smoking can do more. The weight loss will generally come so I do not chide patients who are active non-smokers about losing weight. By increasing activity, most people lose weight anyway.

Being overweight is not a character flaw if you are otherwise fit. Living a healthy lifestyle is more of an example to your patients than anything else and giving good understandable strategies for living that lifestyle is paramount. If you just scream about losing weight and you do not provide a good strategy, you are going to find yourself with no patients.

I am a general surgery resident who will do a fellowship in vascular surgery. Most of the amputations that I do are in normal weight, diabetic smokers. My lung cancer patients have all been pretty thin too.

njbmd :)

Thank you!

Law2Doc said:
This is certainly a general rule in job interviewing -- those that are in better shape tend to fare better, possibly because if you are heavy, you may get stereotyped by interviewers as lazy. As for staying fit as a physician, it pays to go into med school as fit as possible, because there will be times (esp 3d year and residency) where you will not have time to do much physical activity, won't sleep much and may be surviving on hospital cafeteria comfort food. If you are already heavy or out of shape, or a smoker, this will make this phase of your training that much harder. Plus, for you youngsters - bear in mind that your metabolism won't always be as good as it is now, and may forsake you during residency when you need it most.

Luckily for me, mine forsaked me when I was about 20... I went from being an ittie bittie girl to a girl with giant boobs and a growing belly. I've started drinking light beer.

I know about some of the hormonal problems that can make you hold bodyfat. But you can tell if there is muscle under the fat or if it is just flab. Also, id like to disagree with you on the 50% of overweight people having a hormonal or medical problem that makes them overweight. I truly believe that a large majority of americans are lazy when it comes to their physical fitness. If people were to truly get on a good diet and work out intensely regularly then they wouldnt be fat. We are the fatest country in the world and it isnt because we have more medical issues, we eat to much bad food and dont get enough physical activity

FrkyBgStok said:
it is hard to find time to work out, but i know i need to do it, because i don't want to be a big guy for interviews. also the stress sometimes is so bad that i have given in with smoking a couple times, but i don't have an addicting personality. i usually smoke for 2-3 weeks, and then quit for 3-6 months. then i lose it again. hopefully i am done for good this time.

I've been doing the same thing...except its more like 4 months on, 4 months off. I'm really starting to piss myself off here. Quitting ain't easy! I was doing fine after 7 months last year and then I started dreaming about smoking cigarettes (literally), and fantasizing about that "rush" you get from a nice deep inhale... after 7 months!...and I just couldn't take it any more.
Anyway, DON"T start smoking! I'm going to quit again soon... problem is I have no reason to believe that those cravings will ever go away, it's like a scar I have to carry now :thumbdown:

I guess not getting cancer is a good consolation though :thumbup: ;)

ps..those patches really do work (very well)...for as long as you wear them... I hope Marlboro burns in hell...those bastards. I'm going to go smoke a cigarette.

jackets5 said:

Don't sweat it, patients aren't going to listen to your advice anyway.

Physical fitness is good -- for everyone. If you want to be the best doctor you can be, however, you might be better served by a steady diet of humble pie. Because life is hard. And most people live their lives under the strain of a lot of disappointment and unending demands. So even though you may think their coping mechanisms are "dangerous [or] disgusting," or that they are weak-willed or stupid, the best thing for a doctor to do is to give the right advice in a tone of understanding and humility.

The cliche of the day is: "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

rsfarrell said:
Don't sweat it, patients aren't going to listen to your advice anyway.

I'm not so sure that's true, I've always read that when you tell patients to exercise/stop smoking/etc., you really can make a difference. In fact, doctors used to give MORE advice on losing weight than they do now.

"It was discovered that the patients who were recommended by their doctors to lose weight were around three times more likely to follow through and lose the weight than those patients who weren’t given any recommendations."

It seems like it's better to tell somebody how to be healthier than to just ignore the problem, right?

jackets5 said:

I hope it's not that important for a doctor to be fit because right now I'm a fat cow that is about to give birth to a Thanksgiving meal, complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. I gotta hit the gym later on today and try to burn some of this crap on or there's no way I'm going to fit into my interview suit.

BooMed said:
I'm not so sure that's true, I've always read that when you tell patients to exercise/stop smoking/etc., you really can make a difference. In fact, doctors used to give MORE advice on losing weight than they do now.

"It was discovered that the patients who were recommended by their doctors to lose weight were around three times more likely to follow through and lose the weight than those patients who weren’t given any recommendations."

It seems like it's better to tell somebody how to be healthier than to just ignore the problem, right?

so i've only read the last few responses...this may have been said already, or was probably brought up as a thread a while ago, but:

wasn't there a doctor who told a patient she had to lose weight, and then she sued him?

C.P. Jones said:
so i've only read the last few responses...this may have been said already, or was probably brought up as a thread a while ago, but:

wasn't there a doctor who told a patient she had to lose weight, and then she sued him?

Umm, yeah, that was discussed here awhile back... I kind of got the impression that the doctor was sort of a jerk, but it sounds like the lady who sued him was crazy too. :rolleyes:

So I have a question for everyone:

So do you think it is important for doctors to look fit or for them to be fit (I did not read through every post so this may have been asked already)? People can be slim but less fit than an overweight person.

(I know someone alluded to this when he/she mentioned that you can be fit and be overweight).

Although some people are naturally bigger/more muscular/have difficulty losing weight, most people are overweight because they eat too much and don't exercise. Of course there are thyroid disorders, hormonal problems, etc., but you can't ignore the fact that 90% of Americans don't exercise regularly, 60% eat too much fat and less than 20% eat enough fruits and vegetables.

I do think that it's time to make some cultural changes (healthier school lunches, safe bike/walking paths, public transportation) to help us all get healthier, because it's nearly impossible not to be fat in this country. :( Our poor kids barely have a chance these days.