1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Important Interview Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PelicanMan, Nov 9, 2002.

1. PelicanMan

PelicanMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got invited to interview at Boston University. They gave me a list of student hosts.

My question is, does it look bad if i request a female host considering i'm a guy.

Does a guy requesting a student host of the opposite sex looked upon as inappropriate.

Thanks for the help future doctors.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siempre595

7+ Year Member

I'm not sure I'd do that unless you have some specific reason that you wouldn't mind sharing with just about anyone. I got a list about hosts at Rush, all of them were guys, I'm not. The host coordinator person said in the email that she "guessed it would be okay if i stayed with one of the guys, since no females were available that nite." she also provided a short list of area hotels. I took that as a hint to get a hotel room.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

err.. I think it is more appropriate to stay with someone of the same sex. Not that I have a problem with staying with someone of the opposite sex, but I think some people would. Maybe if you are gay or something you could request to stay with a girl (I dunno.. that's really the only situation I can see where it might be more acceptable just cause it's possible some guys might be uncomfortable with you there), but otherwise I think you should stay with a guy.

5. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

It's going to look really sketchy!! Seriously, don't request a female host if you're a guy.... unless you have some really good reason. I mean... are you gay? and staying with a guy would make you uncomfortable? Is that it? That's the only half-way decent reason I can think of.

How much you want to tell the adcom is up to you.... but I think requesting a female student host without a REALLY good explaination is a very bad idea.

6. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

dude, why?

7. PelicanMan

PelicanMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Alright, I get the point.

I will stay with a male host.

Just that usually girls are alot cleaner than guys.

I guess it was a stupid question. thanks for setting me straight

8. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

I can't believe how nice you are all being. *OF COURSE YOU DON'T REQUEST THAT!!!!!!!* Very easy. Common sense.. Sorry for the abrasiveness

9. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmmm.. Do I sense some obsessive-compulsive characteristics here?

I advise that you stay with the same sex. :)

10. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, take what you can get. It's free. You ungrateful bastage. :)

mike

11. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
    7+ Year Member

I personally don't think that it will affect anything to do with whether or not you get in. I find it hard to believe that a med school would even care to bother to find out about that. Do you believe that they are looking to set a trap for someone....and that there is a crotcchity old woman saying "AHA !" ....he's a pervert and I knew it !

The reason I say this......we had a patient here at work....she and her partner were having a baby.... ( ok I guess they might fall in the homosexual category ).....anyway....they said that if I ended up applying to her school....that they were student hosts...and that I should stay with them.... she is a she...and i'm a guy.

but....I guess the difference would be that I had met her previously. So......... who knows?!

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure it's not as big of a deal as you percieve it.

12. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did that at a few schools. Some of the girls were VERY uncomfortable with it. You're better off only doing that if they have a male room mate.

Funny part is that some of the girls who said no to me, were later offering me a place after interacting with me for a few minutes (in person)

13. yeah right! ;)

14. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Try and request staying with a married couple. I've done that at a couple of schools and no one raised any eyebrows (I'm female). If both of them are med students, it gives you an even better chance to pump them for info!