Important Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PelicanMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got invited to interview at Boston University. They gave me a list of student hosts.

My question is, does it look bad if i request a female host considering i'm a guy.

Does a guy requesting a student host of the opposite sex looked upon as inappropriate.

Thanks for the help future doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I'd do that unless you have some specific reason that you wouldn't mind sharing with just about anyone. I got a list about hosts at Rush, all of them were guys, I'm not. The host coordinator person said in the email that she "guessed it would be okay if i stayed with one of the guys, since no females were available that nite." she also provided a short list of area hotels. I took that as a hint to get a hotel room.

err.. I think it is more appropriate to stay with someone of the same sex. Not that I have a problem with staying with someone of the opposite sex, but I think some people would. Maybe if you are gay or something you could request to stay with a girl (I dunno.. that's really the only situation I can see where it might be more acceptable just cause it's possible some guys might be uncomfortable with you there), but otherwise I think you should stay with a guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to look really sketchy!! Seriously, don't request a female host if you're a guy.... unless you have some really good reason. I mean... are you gay? and staying with a guy would make you uncomfortable? Is that it? That's the only half-way decent reason I can think of.

How much you want to tell the adcom is up to you.... but I think requesting a female student host without a REALLY good explaination is a very bad idea.

Alright, I get the point.

I will stay with a male host.

Just that usually girls are alot cleaner than guys.

I guess it was a stupid question. thanks for setting me straight

I can't believe how nice you are all being. *OF COURSE YOU DON'T REQUEST THAT!!!!!!!* Very easy. Common sense.. Sorry for the abrasiveness

Originally posted by PelicanMan
Alright, I get the point.

I will stay with a male host.

Just that usually girls are alot cleaner than guys.

I guess it was a stupid question. thanks for setting me straight

Hmmm.. Do I sense some obsessive-compulsive characteristics here?

I advise that you stay with the same sex. :)

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
Hmmm.. Do I sense some obsessive-compulsive characteristics here?

I advise that you stay with the same sex. :)

Yeah, take what you can get. It's free. You ungrateful bastage. :)

mike

I personally don't think that it will affect anything to do with whether or not you get in. I find it hard to believe that a med school would even care to bother to find out about that. Do you believe that they are looking to set a trap for someone....and that there is a crotcchity old woman saying "AHA !" ....he's a pervert and I knew it !

The reason I say this......we had a patient here at work....she and her partner were having a baby.... ( ok I guess they might fall in the homosexual category ).....anyway....they said that if I ended up applying to her school....that they were student hosts...and that I should stay with them.... she is a she...and i'm a guy.

but....I guess the difference would be that I had met her previously. So......... who knows?!

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure it's not as big of a deal as you percieve it.

I did that at a few schools. Some of the girls were VERY uncomfortable with it. You're better off only doing that if they have a male room mate.

Funny part is that some of the girls who said no to me, were later offering me a place after interacting with me for a few minutes (in person)

Originally posted by UCLA2000

Funny part is that some of the girls who said no to me, were later offering me a place after interacting with me for a few minutes (in person)

yeah right! ;)

Try and request staying with a married couple. I've done that at a couple of schools and no one raised any eyebrows (I'm female). If both of them are med students, it gives you an even better chance to pump them for info!