Important Question About Amcas, Help Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwmed2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people,

A friend of mine will be taking the MCAT this August but she is ready to submit the application . Shouldn't she wait until she take her MCAT? I told her that the AMCAS people will not submit her application to medical schools until her August MCAT scores comes in. Am I telling him the right information?
That way, if she doesn't do well, then she doesn't have to waste all those money. Help her please. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Subit with the lower tier/state school/schools you know you want to apply to even if a dissapointing score. I guess it depends if dissapointing is a 26, or a 30...either way, submit it now! :thumbup:

Your friend should submit now. There is a question on the AMCAS that asks if you are taking the Aug. MCAT. Your friend should make sure he/she checks that off...

I took the Aug. MCATs last year and submitted my AMCAS early July. This is my understanding: After you submit your AMCAS, they will verify it and submit it to the schools you select. If you choose the "I am taking the Aug. MCAT" option, you application will remain incomplete, but the schools can review the application.* This is good, because they start to send secondaries and you can start to fill them out. I had most of my secondaries in before my MCAT scores came out. Submitting in mid/late October can put you way more behind in this process from my understanding.

*FYI - My first rejection letter (Boston U) was dated the day the after the MCATs were released to schools = they reviewed my application and had to "legally" wait until the score was released for them to send one of their famous rejection letters.