Important question about medical schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fernj75, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Fernj75

Fernj75 Member

Do schools take your best scores from each section when you have taken the MCAT on more than one occasion? Or do they take the average of each section, or simply look at the most recent MCAT score? I asking because my physical science and writing scores went up considerably but my biological science section dropped slightly. Thanks for your replies.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Most schools take the most recent one, although some will take your highest or an average of all of them. I have NEVER heard of a school taking the best of each section.

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Most of the schools I'm applying to (next year) say that they consider the best set of scores from each section. Some say "all set considered" while others say "most recent". It depends on the school.

5. gower

gower 1K Member

All of the above. Now is not the time to obsess about that detail but focus on good, reasonable choices of medical schools to apply to (whatever they say about how they see the scores) and prepare an unrushed, but not tardy, application paying attention to even small details like spelling, punctuation and grammar in writing the personal statement, and seeking advice fom your premedical advisor on where to apply.

Your MCAT scores will be evaluated in the context of your entire application and not by rigid criteria. What medical schools say about weights given to scores are just guidelines.