Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneOfShempsKids

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools look at your first year courses or at the courses you took first year? By that, I mean, I took some second year courses first year and might not have done well in them. Someone PLEASE help me.

Members don't see this ad.

They look and count all courses. There is no such thing as first year, second year courses because all transcripts are different. All courses are used for your GPA no matter when you take them.

They look and count all courses. There is no such thing as first year, second year courses because all transcripts are different. All courses are used for your GPA no matter when you take them.

If I re-do courses, do any schools take into account the new mark and forget about the old one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember which ones do that. I think it might be the DO schools that only do that, but don't quote me on it. I'm pretty sure all Allo schools count every grade.

If I re-do courses, do any schools take into account the new mark and forget about the old one?

It's pretty much there and on your transcript. If you did that horribly you could always retake the course to demonstrate that you actually learned to material at an acceptable level, but the whole grade replacement thing (which is crap that some schools even offer it), is not recognized by AMCAS. Your new grade will factor into your GPA though (but so does the old one).