Important Texas Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard/read from a couple of sources that Baylor and UTSW will grant in-state tuition to out-of-state students. Can anyone verify this for sure?

It says on UTSW's website that "a non-resident who is awarded a scholarship of $1000 or more is eligible for in-state tuition." I can't find any information that states ALL non-residents are offered this scholarship.

I know at Baylor, there is scholarship that reduces tuition, by about four thousand dollars, but the rumor is that these two schools offer non-residents, in-state tuition.

Can anyone clear this up?

Members don't see this ad.

UTSW offers in-state tuition for out of state students, Baylor does not. You have to get residency for Baylor to get in-state.

The Texas govt has cut funding to all TX med schools, Baylor got rid of the 4k scholarship for out of state students (starting with the entering c/o 2004, will last for an unspecified amount of time) and I would imagine UTSW will be forced to get rid of their out of state scholarship program as well.

Baylor's site says the 4k scholarship is gone, I cant find anything about UTSW, might be good to ask them. Lots of things are in flux due to budget issues.

Do you mean that UTSW offers instate tuition to ALL admitted non-residents? Or is it just possible to get in-state if you are awarded a scholarship?

Thanks man.

Members don't see this ad :)
All UTSW out-of-staters got the $1K scholarship, which granted them instate tuition. However, like Gleevec says, you need to check that out given the recent budget issues.

Good luck!

Originally posted by jarrod_dale
Do you mean that UTSW offers instate tuition to ALL admitted non-residents? Or is it just possible to get in-state if you are awarded a scholarship?

Thanks man.

All students out of state get the 1k scholarship which qualifies them for the in-state tuition.

But word on the street is all the TX med schools are getting deep cuts in their budget, and I would imagine out of state scholarships would be the first to go (as evidenced by Baylor eliminating its 4k scholarship).

Email UTSW though, they are quite nice about these questions.