IMPORTANT Texas Southern? Xavier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan711us

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I've read many of the posts and they have been really, really helpful. Quick question.....I will be applying for the 2004 school year and I was wondering if anyone has applied to and interviewed at either Texas Southern or Xavier Pharmacy School. I've heard that they receive a TON of applications so I was wondering if it's difficult to get into either one. If any of you have any personal experiences to share about either of them, that would be GREAT!! Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

According to the AACP website (for 2001) the average GPA for accepted students at TSU was 2.6 and the average for Xavier was 3.11. Most likely both of those numbers have gone up though. GPA certainly isn't the only thing they look at, but as far as objective numbers that'll give you somewhere to start. Both of those numbers seem to be towards the lower end for all schools. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing anyone post in here about either of those schools so you may not get any responses with personal experience.

Originally posted by jordan711us
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I've read many of the posts and they have been really, really helpful. Quick question.....I will be applying for the 2004 school year and I was wondering if anyone has applied to and interviewed at either Texas Southern or Xavier Pharmacy School. I've heard that they receive a TON of applications so I was wondering if it's difficult to get into either one. If any of you have any personal experiences to share about either of them, that would be GREAT!! Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Where are you from in MI? I've been to almost every university there, and why do you want to go to *Texas*? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
jordan711us,

Have u heard anything regarding Xavier? Do they require the PCAT? I believe TSU does.

All pharmacy schools in Texas require the PCAT.

It looks like Xavier doesn't.

Thanks for sharing the info about the two schools. TSU does indeed require the PCAT. Xavier doesn't. They both require interviews though. I'm from Michigan and I was looking to apply elsewhere because it seems that the schools here i.e. U of M, Wayne State and Ferris are so competitive and have really small entering classes. I figured I'd have a better chance applying someplace else. I did call TSU and they told me that to be "competitive" you need at least a 3.0 and score 70% on your PCAT. I plan to take the PCAT for the first time in October and I am totally PETRIFIED! Right now my GPA is a 3.5 so hopefully I'll get a decent score. We'll see....:rolleyes:

jordan711us,

Awhile back I e-mailed some U-Mich pharmacy students who are California natives and from the impression I got, they said it was not that hard to get in. Now that was two years ago (who knows, they might be total geniuses as well), and a lot of things could of changed by then, but you should definitely give U-Mich a try since you are a resident and will end up saving much money, unless you are really tired of the scenary and want a chenge, then by all means, apply to out-of-state pharmacy schools. Your GPA is definitely competitive and the cool thing about U-Mich, from the last time I checked, they neither required an interview nor PCAT scores.

TSU has some "issues" regarding accreditation and board passage rates. The other schools in Texas (including Tech) regard TSU as an underperforming pharmacy school at the moment. Last I checked, they had a low 70% rating in terms of NAPLEX first try. As for Xavier, all of the alumni I know treat it with great respect and hold its training in high regard.