Important things that one can learn as a tech that can help in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofAHogs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been working as a Pharm tech since the first of the month in a local independant pharmacy. This is my first time working in a drug store and I am blown away at the amount of information that I have learned in just the last few weeks. I did this originally to become more familiar with the drugs so when the time comes to learn them, it should be easier. The pharmacy is also a compounding pharmacy and I am hoping to be able to get a little time in the lab.

My question, basically, is there anything that I should try to pick-up or learn during the next few months that would be beneficial to me once school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been working as a Pharm tech since the first of the month in a local independant pharmacy. This is my first time working in a drug store and I am blown away at the amount of information that I have learned in just the last few weeks. I did this originally to become more familiar with the drugs so when the time comes to learn them, it should be easier. The pharmacy is also a compounding pharmacy and I am hoping to be able to get a little time in the lab.

My question, basically, is there anything that I should try to pick-up or learn during the next few months that would be beneficial to me once school starts?

Drug classes. Learn which drugs are betablockers, diuretics, etc. Just learn as much as you can about each agent, nothing you learn will go to waste. Try to learn indications and drug classes I would say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brand/Generic, strengths. indications, interactions, common dosing, third party formularies and billing, state and federal laws... I could go on.

I can't imagine how much less prepared I'd feel for Pharm School without getting my feet wet in everything above.

Brand/Generic, strengths. indications, interactions, common dosing, third party formularies and billing, state and federal laws... I could go on.

I can't imagine how much less prepared I'd feel for Pharm School without getting my feet wet in everything above.

That helped you in school?

Edit: Or perhaps you meant that you think it will help? It won't.

No sorry, I meant work rather than school.

On that note though, do you guys have any lecture spent on insurance, or is this expected to be learned during rotations?

We had an introduction to pharmacy health care systems type class that touched on different types of insurances, what a pbm is (I am still not 100% on this), what a formula is, copay, etc.

IMO, the class is almost meaningless without real world experience. Until you have had to shop for insurance yourself or tried to deal with insurance rejections ad nausium it just won't mean very much to anyone. Like most classes that try to teach real world skills, invariably it focused on all the wrong things, like textbook definitions rather than anything you might accidental use on the job. We did compare health care systems from around the world, which I found interesting. But again it was textbook comparisons, nothing someone might find practical in any sense of the word.