impress your teachers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durty

Lif is too short
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any reason you would want to impress your teachers, not academically, but in terms of your dress.

Just being on campus at different med schools I've noticed most of the guys look pretty fratty (polo shirts and khaki shorts). I am not opposed to looking nice for golfing or to go to a nice dinner, but should I replace my band shirt with a polo shirt to attend class and impress the teachers?

I'm just wondering if the students know anything I don't about dressing to impress the teachers or are they just generally fratty guys?
-durty

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there is any reason you would want to impress your teachers, not academically, but in terms of your dress.

Just being on campus at different med schools I've noticed most of the guys look pretty fratty (polo shirts and khaki shorts). I am not opposed to looking nice for golfing or to go to a nice dinner, but should I replace my band shirt with a polo shirt to attend class and impress the teachers?

I'm just wondering if the students know anything I don't about dressing to impress the teachers or are they just generally fratty guys?
-durty

Dress is not reflective of academic ability. That being said, the Prof's write your LOR, so if you dress weird, make sure they are aware of your personality if you want an LOR from them.

-durty

If you mean med schools in the bolded above, many med schools have "dress codes" (official or unofficial). So that may dictate what they can and cannot wear to class. Often no jeans, T-shirts, things with holes, exposed midriffs etc. I'm not sure fratty is the right word though -- preppy perhaps.

And once you get to the point where you are going to the wards, expect to be wearing a collared shirt and tie daily under your white coat.
As for undergrad, I don't think anyone cares much what you wear. But if you are hoping to get an LOR or work in someone's lab, you'd want to clean up a bit before interacting with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
People that dress differently just to dress differently are idiots IMHO.

-durty

Just don't become one of the people who wear pj's to class!!!!!!!!!! God I hated that. At least wear jeans and a decent shirt. You don't have to wear a suit or anything similar to that (unless needed to for work). I had several classes with a person that worked as a CNA. She would wear her work clothes to class all of the time....which was fine...during the winter she would wear a sweater, of course.

Take a look at your class. Chances are that the laziest bumbs are the ones wear the pj's. The girls that wear the really tight shirts are selfishe b's. So ignore these type of people.

Haha, close. June.

I knew it was a summer month. The time of month that you were born can dictate a person's personality and thought process. I'm married to a person born in November. I dated a few chicks that were born in Jan., Feb., and March. I couldn't stand any of those girls. The fun girls are born in the spring and summer, and fall months.

Just don't become one of the people who wear pj's to class!!!!!!!!!! God I hated that. At least wear jeans and a decent shirt. You don't have to wear a suit or anything similar to that (unless needed to for work). I had several classes with a person that worked as a CNA. She would wear her work clothes to class all of the time....which was fine...during the winter she would wear a sweater, of course.

Take a look at your class. Chances are that the laziest bumbs are the ones wear the pj's. The girls that wear the really tight shirts are selfishe b's. So ignore these type of people.
You sound like a judgmental prick. Bitter much?

hay-be-nice-emokitteh-is-sensitive.jpg

By the time you are in professional school, you are expected to look and act the part. Although my medical school doesn't have an "official" dress code, most students choose to dress decently for class (I've rarely seen anything lower on the scale than jeans and T-shirts, and many people opt for khakis or dress pants, skirts, dress shirts, etc.) On days when you are in clinic, men are expected to wear shirt & tie, and women are expected to present themselves in a similar manner. You are not dressing this way to "impress teachers" or because you are "fratty." It is simply what will be expected of you in your career and role as a professional. Better to embrace it now.

If you want to roll out of bed and come to class every morning in sweat pants and 4-times-recycled T shirts, you certainly can, but be prepared to not be taken very seriously (and possibly even be the object of jokes and even a few interventions on behalf of your fellow students and possibly faculty/admin). Whether or not this will bother you is the issue, I guess. Personally, I think that these unofficial dress codes are an important part of your professional development.

For many young students, this will be their first time experiencing such "adult" expectations. It can be a rough adjustment, especially if you don't have the budget or a history of keen fashion sense. But when you find that most of your colleagues are consistently coming to school dressed as professionals, it's difficult not to fall in line and follow suit.

(That pun was not intentional.)

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have assumed that every younger person on campus at a medical school is a medical student, but that's certainly not the case. I know that my med school has 800 med students, only 400 of which are on campus on a regular basis, and 5000 employees (many of whom are my age - I even recognize a lot of them from my undergrad). Most people are expected to wear professional attire when they're at work, so you may well be seeing lots of employees, seeing how they outnumber the med students on my campus by 10 to 1.

You sound like a judgmental prick. Bitter much?

What would you say about a professor who complains about this very topic?

Students go from trying to be the best dressed student in high school to wearing pj's to college and then dressing professionaly in graduate school (be it medical school, vet school, law school, etc).

I don't know about you, but the students that I know who were admitted to a graduate program their senior year (for those that applied) of college didn't wear pj's all four to five years of college.

Professors don't expect you to dress up for a college lecture, but you should at least respect YOURSELF. Wearing pj's to class is not respecting yourself. For the amount of time it takes to put on pj's (hopefully not wearn in bed and right to a lecture), you might as well put on pants. For the amount of time it takes to put on a t-shirt, you might as well put on a decent looking shirt.

Even though you are only a college student, you are starting life of independence and trying to making something of yourself. Wearing pj's is not going to accomplish this.

I had many classes where we did group work. The people who didn't show up, came to class drunk, or those that didn't care about the group project were the students (in general) who wear pj's to class.

Where I volunteerd for two years while I was a college student we had other college students come volunteer in their pj's. It was groose.

I wonder what the people on the TLC show called What Not to Wear would say about this topic? I'm sure they would say the same things I have said.

You might have assumed that every younger person on campus at a medical school is a medical student, but that's certainly not the case. I know that my med school has 800 med students, only 400 of which are on campus on a regular basis, and 5000 employees (many of whom are my age - I even recognize a lot of them from my undergrad). Most people are expected to wear professional attire when they're at work, so you may well be seeing lots of employees, seeing how they outnumber the med students on my campus by 10 to 1.

Medical College of Wisconsin, per chance?

Students go from trying to be the best dressed student in high school to wearing pj's to college and then dressing professionaly in graduate school (be it medical school, vet school, law school, etc).

I don't know about you, but the students that I know who were admitted to a graduate program their senior year (for those that applied) of college didn't wear pj's all four to five years of college.

Professors don't expect you to dress up for a college lecture, but you should at least respect YOURSELF. Wearing pj's to class is not respecting yourself. For the amount of time it takes to put on pj's (hopefully not wearn in bed and right to a lecture), you might as well put on pants. For the amount of time it takes to put on a t-shirt, you might as well put on a decent looking shirt.

Even though you are only a college student, you are starting life of independence and trying to making something of yourself. Wearing pj's is not going to accomplish this.

I had many classes where we did group work. The people who didn't show up, came to class drunk, or those that didn't care about the group project were the students (in general) who wear pj's to class.

Where I volunteerd for two years while I was a college student we had other college students come volunteer in their pj's. It was groose.

I wonder what the people on the TLC show called What Not to Wear would say about this topic? I'm sure they would say the same things I have said.
Don't worry about everyone else. I know plenty of people who wore track pants, scrubs and sweats to class who are now very far along (or finished) in med school, pharm school, grad school, etc.

really?!?! i'd say over half the people i know go through a "grungy" phase in college during which they roll out of bed a few minutes before lecture and run to class after popping a piece of gum in their mouths...it doesnt have anything to do with respecting themselves- i think it has more to do with maximizing time sleeping.
to the OP, as long as you do good work in undergrad, the profs won't give a crap if you're in sweats or jeans or even pjs (assuming your clothes don't have extremely offensive slogans or are disgustingly filthy or smell noticeably bad)

I have to dress the part in order to take tests for some reason. I can't stand taking a test feeling all "icky" on the outside. A shower is a must.

Plus, I do think it's a bit disrespectful to your professor if your sitting in the front row with a pair of pajama pants and a tank top on.

I wore pj's and sweats to class all four years, and I am not, by any means, a "lazy bumb," nor am I academically inept (I graduated with a 4.0 from undergrad). Dress does not indicate your ability to perform academically.

I wore pj's and sweats to class all four years, and I am not, by any means, a "lazy bumb," nor am I academically inept (I graduated with a 4.0 from undergrad). Dress does not indicate your ability to perform academically.

Still, one can't blame others for judging them for the way they dress.

I like to keep everyone guessing as to how I'll dress for classes.
Sometimes that means I will be just getting back from practice before class and be wearing sweats over wet spandex (I'm a rower). Other times that means that I'll be completely dressy (dresses, skirts, made up, etc...).

A well dressed man is held in higher regards then a man who wears pj's to class..the same goes for females.

A well dressed man is held in higher regards then a man who wears pj's to class..the same goes for females.

Very true. And I guess it was different being in athletic clothes and all my profs knowing that I had just gotten back from practice is very different than looking like I just rolled out of bed. That being said what are you trying to get from your profs? If you want them to respect you then dressing well wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary if you know them personally.

Come on gentlemen, this is clearly a simple representative heuristic.

We classify something on how well it fits into a prototype. For example, you are sitting in church and some guy walks in wearing a suit, glasses and has a calculator in his pocket. Another second guy's is in sweats and wearing a ball cap. Someone asks you which is a theoretical physicist as opposed to a truck driver?

I'm not saying it's right, but it happens, and everyone has to deal with it. Save yourself the trouble! "Dress to impress."

(Unless otherwise educated, you'd probably say the former. The problem? In this country, which is more common? Truck drivers or theoretical physicists? Exactly. You have to take into account the base rate.)

Very true. And I guess it was different being in athletic clothes and all my profs knowing that I had just gotten back from practice is very different than looking like I just rolled out of bed. That being said what are you trying to get from your profs? If you want them to respect you then dressing well wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary if you know them personally.

I'm only speaking from my own experience. Other people might have had a different experience. There was a tendency for the people who were lazy in their dress to be more of a friend to the professor then a student. This friendship with the professor can back fire as it becomes obvious that the professor plays favorites. Oh my god, I had this one b'ch a's professor who would go right out and just talk to the people who she liked and totally ignored the people who she disliked...the people that she liked dressed like a slob just like she did. The professor would always wear a shirt or sweater that was too large and really old (and I'm talking about college day old clothes) and had the worst hair I've ever seen...she disliked the people who were good looking and wear nice clothes. Sure this professor knew her subject, but no way in h'l would I want to be seen around her outside of the classroom. I had a really hard time taking what came out of that mouth as information that I can trust.

What was really sad was this one chick who came to volunteer at the clinic that I volunteered at (a different volunteer location then the one I touched on before) would always wear sweet pants. Sure we only worked in a closed off office, but still patients would see you walking to the office. I wanted to say, "here is $25, go and purchase a pair of pants."

Some of my classmates that became friends with the professors would go and party with the professors in the bars, go shopping with them, go out and eat with them, and even go the 21'st birthday parties. I'm not saying a professor can't do that, but that is taking getting to know your professor a little to far. Guess how these students dressed? You got it, pj wearing students.

I'm sorry, but the lasting image I have of a few classmates that I had class with often is of them wearing pj's to lecture just about every time. THen for another hand full of classmates that I had class with often that did respect themself with how they dressed, I left college with an image of them dressing more respectfull.

you don't have time to shower and change? How do you pay attention in lecture wearing wet smelly spandex

I have to dress the part in order to take tests for some reason. I can't stand taking a test feeling all "icky" on the outside. A shower is a must.

Good luck on those 24 hour shifts during residency when you have to perform your first lumbar puncture after 22 hours of sweating, no showers, 10 minute nap, and possibly having other bodily fluids crusted onto your skin. :p

For some reason it's just the tests. Rarely do I "get ready" to just go and hang out with friends. I like to walk into a test feeling completely prepared, and being showered and cleaned up is part of that, even if I just finished pulling an all-nighter.

-durty

Dressing to impress will surely get you a great LOR, and a great LOR will mean that you'll never have to take the MCAT. :thumbup: jk

On a serious note, really, professors don't care. Who cares? Don't worry about it. Professors are more likely to be impressed if you can hold a decent conversation, do well in class, and be helpful to your classmates.

If your professors would like you to dress professionally, they'll let you know. But, I'd imagine those cases would be limited to special events, etc.

Last edited:
Me too. I usually pull a semi-allnighter for harder tests (biochem cough), where I would study till 8 PM, sleep till 1 AM, then wakeup, study till 8 AM, take shower, study for about 30 mins and then head to the 9 AM exam. It made me feel more awake

For some reason it's just the tests. Rarely do I "get ready" to just go and hang out with friends. I like to walk into a test feeling completely prepared, and being showered and cleaned up is part of that, even if I just finished pulling an all-nighter.

Haha, that gave me a great idea for the personal statement. Somebody could be like, "I want to be a doctor because I love the feeling of having bodily fluids crusted onto me. But I'm a well-rounded person, so I don't need this feeling all the time. For example, before organic chemistry exams, I would purposely shower and get cleaned up, even if I just finished pulling an all-nighter. And then, I would dress into my pj's, milk three cows, and take the city bus down to the homeless shelter to volunteer until midnight. I know I'll make an excellent doctor because I don't mind, in fact I love, being in the line of projectile vomiting, projectile diarrhea, projectile urination, projectile bleeding, and projectile pus-ing."

Hey, at least they couldn't knock that person for a lack of vividness! In fact, I think I'll scrap my current personal statement and get cranking on the new & improved.

you don't have time to shower and change? How do you pay attention in lecture wearing wet smelly spandex

Having 9 AMs every semester so far and getting back on the bus at 8:30 (or later) from the water often makes it difficult to change.

So yes I have attended quite a few classes in spandex, or just in sweats since I took off my spandex for being too wet with lake water.

The real challenge isn't paying attention because I have wet (not normally too smelly since I never rewear dirty spandex) spandex on, the challenge is to stay awake. I never really fall asleep in class, but having been up since 4:45 AM and never going to sleep before 11PM makes it difficult to stay awake. So wet clothing probably helps me focus.

PS... I normally have enough time to change out of my spandex into normal clothes, but occasionally there is not enough time and I have to go straight to class.