impressions from UMich Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marakah2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, but i have a question for all those who had interviews at UofM

I was there on an "off-day" since i'm travelling quite far. I had interviews only, no tour etc.

What type of info. did you get during the more structured parts of the day, and what were your general impressions of the students, etc.

I am just curious since I gauge the school as a whole based on my days there, which makes my visit to uMich kind of bad.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

congrat that you got an interview in UMich!! u should be damn proud of urself, cuz it's such an awesome school. too bad that you didn't get to look around the campus. i am sure there are ppl who go to umich would like to tell u how great that school is. ann arbor is really a nice city, except too too too freaking COLD in the winter. too cold, one might lose one's life in such cold winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by marakah2
Hi all, this is my first post, but i have a question for all those who had interviews at UofM

I was there on an "off-day" since i'm travelling quite far. I had interviews only, no tour etc.

What type of info. did you get during the more structured parts of the day, and what were your general impressions of the students, etc.

I am just curious since I gauge the school as a whole based on my days there, which makes my visit to uMich kind of bad.

Thanks

I interviewed there Oct. 11 and I absolutely loved it. It was my first choice going into the interview and it still is now. A bunch of students ate lunch with us and they seemed pretty happy and laid back. The first year is pass/fail with honors/high pass/ pass/ fail after that. They said since the first year is p/f it is totally noncompetitive and it is really not too difficult to pass. They have multiple choice quizzes every week, which gives you an idea what the midterm and final will be like. The quizzes used to be on Mondays, but now they have it so you can go into the computer lab and take them anytime between Friday afternoon and the following Monday morning, so your weekend does not have to be ruined. The facilities were great and Ann Arbor is a great place. They also gave us an information packet which had a list of the match for the 2002 class, but they probably gave that to you too. Hope this helps.

I interviewed there Oct. 4th, and was very impressed with the facilities and the students. The students I talked with seemed really nice and sincere - definitely not fitting the "hardcore" premed stereotype.

The program also seemed really well thought out - all dissections are online on video so you can watch before or after class, also the students gave the impression that the staff is very receptive to student concerns and any issues that may arise...Another thing to remember is that it is a large (Big Ten) school so you have all the benefits of such a program. Overall I must say I was very impressed...was accepted on the 15th and of the schools I've visited so far it really strikes me as a nice place to spend 4 years.

thanks everyone who had a chance to give their input.

did you guys get to see the anatomy labs? if so, how were they? i've seen some at other places (pitt, case, OSU) so maybe you could compare with those.

Also, did they mention anything about second look weekends in the springg?

Did the students sound like they had fun together, i.e. going to bars/sporting events/etc?

I was also accepted, and just wanted to fill in some blanks for mysel.

Originally posted by marakah2
thanks everyone who had a chance to give their input.

did you guys get to see the anatomy labs? if so, how were they? i've seen some at other places (pitt, case, OSU) so maybe you could compare with those.

Also, did they mention anything about second look weekends in the springg?

Did the students sound like they had fun together, i.e. going to bars/sporting events/etc?

I was also accepted, and just wanted to fill in some blanks for mysel.

Oh, you were already accepted. In that case the school stinks, you should give up your spot.;)

The students I talked to seemed really outgoing and into the bar-hopping/clubbing/socializing scene. In fact, one of my friends who is in his first year told me that he goes out a lot more as a med student than he did as an undergrad!

I was really impressed by how incredibly friendly everyone was at the interview lunch. I'm from California, and several med students from Cali purposely came up to me and introduced themselves (I guess they had received a list of interviewee names beforehand). It's comforting to know that there will be a group of people with whom to complain about the cold, long winters. :)