Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Impressions of Pitt second look

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheRussian, May 3, 2004.

1. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

For those of you that went to Pitt's second look weekend I was wondering if you could share your impressions of the other perspectives that were there. For me the type of people that I'm going to be in school with matters and might be the deciding factor so I want to get at least an idea of what those planning on going to Pitt in the fall are like.

Some questions:
    1. Are there a lot of students coming straight out of undergrad or have most of the people been out of school a number of years.
    2. Are there a lot of students that have families or are close to one.
    3. Did they seem to be snobby or where they down to earth.

That's all I can think of right. Please help of any thoughts you might have.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

4. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Russian,

The second look weekend was actually the weekend right after my interview, so I didn't get to go. Based on my interview day, the atmosphere at Pitt was not pretentious at all, very down to earth, very cool. I met several students (2nd yrs) who had families (either SOs or SOs with children). I also think that at any med school you're going to have a decent number of students coming right out of undergrad, but for the most part, the people I met had been out of school for a while (again, this is not totally representative of the class). You might want to also ask this question in the allo forum to get the perspective of current students (for more specific answers to your questions) as well.

H&T

5. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you do a search, there's a thread on the Pitt second look. But to quickly answer your questions...

1) Seemed like a mix. Of course, most students came straight from undergrad, as in every other school, but I spoke to three people who were non-trads. Everyone seemed to be very well integrated regardless of background.

2) Do you mean have children? I'm not sure about that. I know there's one woman who's a single mom there. Not really sure otherwise. If it helps, four of the guys I spoke to who were prospectives were engaged.

3) Everyone was really down to earth. I also noticed that there are many different personalities at Pitt - everyone from clubbing, trendy people to the hikers and snowboarders.

Good luck with your decision... btw, Pitt has a pretty large Russian population (i'm Russian myself, so i asked the dean). Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Quid