Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Impressions of SLU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by st85, Apr 14, 2004.

1. st85

st85 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm going there for an interview Monday, what do you guys who have interviewed there or are familiar with the area think about the school and the city?

2. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

I can't tell you anything about the school, since i didn't interview there. The only thing that i know is that it's located in midtown/South Grand. There are plenty of SLU students on SDN that can answer your questions about it.

As far as the city goes i can answer all of your questions. What would you like to know?

3. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at SLU on April 5. I did not get a good impression of the school from the start. SLU interviews everyone throughout the day, from 8ish to 4ish I think, so everyone doesn't have to show up at a certain time in the morning like most med schools require. I got there to find only one other person waiting to be interviewed. I didn't get a friendly welcome from an admissions staff member until lunch at 12!!! I just waited until my 945 interview (the interviewer was 15 min late too) and then got the tour and went to lunch. So basically I didn't feel like SLU welcomed me at all. I didn't get a good impression of the students in general, mostly from the comment of a 1st year who said her class is "semi-alcoholic" and many people frequent bars throughout the week. I'm sure the students at SLU are very good, but this comment did not help make SLU look good in my mind. Our 4th year tour guide also said that when he interviewed at SLU the admissions staff didn't do a good job in welcoming you. I hope you get a better interview day than I did. SLU sounds like a good medical school though with great facilities and hospitals.

4. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Who is your interviewer? I heard about other people's interviewers so maybe I can help you out before you go.

5. avicoo

avicoo SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Mike! Hi. I just wanted to say it was so nice to meet you. Has USF accepted you yet? If not, any day now I am sure.

Anyway - Sorry to hijack the thread briefly folks - I couldn't PM Mike or anything so ....

6. j121212

j121212 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got a good impression of the city and university. Although I didn't feel like SLU was trying as hard to sell itself to me like other universities that I interviewed at.

7. lizzylu

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. I was there for an interview in early October and it seemed like they were just showing us the school and crossing their fingers that some people would go there. However, my interviewer was great and he was my favorite of the entire process (the kind of surgeon that I'd want), and of the students I met there they were nice and down to earth.

8. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had the exact opposite experience. My interview at SLU was the most welcoming of all i went to. The whole thing was extremely well organized and well timed. AFter the tour and fin. aid session, we had a great lunch with dean. From then on the interviewers started calling in for their interviewees, i had a lot of free time to chat with other cool students. The interview itself was stress-free and low key. Overall, I had a good impression of slu and quite considering it.

9. SurgeryRA

SurgeryRA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you have an afternoon interview, be prepared for a decent amount of waiting after the financial aid session. That was the only negative about the interview day. The best thing about the day...I would say they had the best food out of the schools I interviewed at.

10. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would say that SLU's lunch wasn't the greatest. We got mediocre greasy pizza. What did you get?

11. size_tens

size_tens Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree that SLU doesn't try to sell itself the way other schools do. To me this was a positive. I was tired of the "rah rah our school is the greatest" attitude. SLU may not be a top 50 school but I still got the impression that it provides its students with quality training. BTW on my interview day we had pasta and bread. I thought the food was average.

12. SurgeryRA

SurgeryRA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On my interview day we had subs from somewhere (I can't remember the name of the place). It was pretty good stuff, and I remember a line of med students trying to get some of the leftovers.

13. WyldeWolf1

WyldeWolf1 Get your own!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SLU was my third interview, after Miami and Penn State. Compared to the other two, SLU "underwhelmed" me. At UM and PSU, it seemed like all of the faculty and students were 1) very enthusiastic about their school and 2) actually prepared to meet the needs and answer the questions of the interviewing students.

There was a LOT of waiting at my SLU interview. I had an afternoon interview, so I sat alone for a while in the morning before the noonish tour and lunch. The tour was okay, but didn't show nearly as much as the other two. There were several points where we had to wait for the next person (admissions representative, financial aid officer, tour guide) to show up. Here's the part that annoyed me the most...

As has already been stated, there are two interview blocks: morning and afternoon. But, all the interviews in a given block are NOT at the same time. My interview was scheduled for over an HOUR after the rest of the day was done, and since my interviewer was a cardiothoracic surgeon who just happened to be in surgery, I got to wait almost three hours. Then, during the interview, he kept getting calls. Because of the circumstances, he basically admitted that he was unprepared for the interview. To his credit, it was otherwise an enjoyable conversation and he answered all my questions; I don't fault him for the way things went. The school as a whole, imho, needs to overhaul their interview.

End result: I scheduled my flight for four hours after my schedule said I would be done, and after the app. 20 minute train ride to the airport, I barely made it. I probably got three useful hours out of an eight hour day. :p

(PS--Lunch at UM by FAR surpassed any others; I guess private schools have that advantage, though.)