Impromptu visit to medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

So I just found out my mom is taking a trip to a city this weekend that one of the medical schools I plan on applying to is located in. Would it be wise to maybe make an impromptu visit and ask for a tour etc? Should I inform them of my plans on applying?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just found out my mom is taking a trip to a city this weekend that one of the medical schools I plan on applying to is located in. Would it be wise to maybe make an impromptu visit and ask for a tour etc? Should I inform them of my plans on applying?

I don't think so, you could ask, but most medical schools don't do tours unless you have been invited for an interview. They give you a tour as part of the interview day. Also, some will have one day that is designated as an open house and give prospective students a tour then. But I don't think they'd be willing to give you a impromptu tour.

If you're going to visit the campus, don't do an unannounced visit. It doesn't hurt to give the dean of admissions a call or an e-mail to see if they could meet with you. Anything to get some name recognition when you're applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to visit the campus, don't do an unannounced visit. It doesn't hurt to give the dean of admissions a call or an e-mail to see if they could meet with you. Anything to get some name recognition when you're applying.

Exactly, I wasn't planning on just busting through the door yellin "I'm here bitches!" or anything like that....I'll probably give the admissions dept a call in a few days and see if we can work something out, if not. Well at least I tried.

In my state, if you call the admissions offices ahead of time, they will arrange to have someone available to show you around. The chances of meeting with a dean on such short notice, is less likely. I certainly wouldn't just show up and expect a tour. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. The worst they can do is say no.

if you want a tour, call the admissions office ahead of time, they might be able to find a student to give one... otherwise there isn't going to be anyone just there to give you a tour. You could probably look around campus on your own, but you wouldn't see everything.

You can tell them you're planning on applying, but I doubt it would make a difference.

Honestly at this stage, it would be more about you getting to know the school. Don't expect anything you do to improve your chances of getting in.

I say go for it. I did a similar thing last year. I contacted the school and told them that I would be in town for a family reunion and asked if I could drop by, meet the dean admissions committee, professors in my area of interest and see the medical campus. They were very receptive and friendly about it too. Good luck.

I've "busted in" to two different schools, and both times, things went great. At both schools, I walked in and just let them know that I was considering applying to the school and just wanted to check it out. At one of the schools, I just happened to be applying for a summer program, and asked to check my status on it. At both schools, I was given a tour by a third-year medical student (one of them lasted an hour and a half) and was allowed to sit in on a class. I say go for it.

I got in touch with the admissions office (well, MD-PhD people) before I visited a school. They actually arranged a whole bunch of stuff for me to do (this was a few months before application season opened).

I would contact the admissions office, give them a heads up, and see if they throw you a bone.

Ive toured 3 schools, and met with the deans. I would definitely go for it, if I were you. Just make sure not to be a douche.

It's a good idea. If you found out you hate the school, save yourself the app fee. :p