Improvements in the practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phuture pharmer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've only had one month of real work experience under my belt but I've noted a couple of things that I think are current bottlenecks or areas which could benefit from changes. It should be noted that I'm in an inpatient pharmacy at a large level 1 trauma center with many specialized clinics at a state funded hospital.

1) Docs should be emailing scripts directly to the pharmacy using a software system that will let them choose drugs within the formulary. There has got to be an easier way than deciphering writers cramp and this would save some order entry.

2) After checking and OKing a script, the order should recieve some sort of tracking code so that all members of the healthcare team and especially nurses, since they administer most of the meds, can track the orders and see exactly where they were last sent/processed. We get a ton of calls asking where the meds for a specific patient are, and the patient foots the bill for missing meds that need to be refilled for whatever reason.

I'm sure there are other innovations which would be applicable in outpatient and retail settings, especially concerning insurance issues and script filling times.

Pharmacists in the inpatient hospital side spend the majority of their time with order entry, answering drug related questions from nurses and docs and checking prescriptions filled by us techs and interns.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Docs should be emailing scripts directly to the pharmacy using a software system that will let them choose drugs within the formulary. There has got to be an easier way than deciphering writers cramp and this would save some order entry.

Funny, I shadowed a doc who has almost this exact system..the only difference being he faxes it to the pharmacy (Pharmacy numbers are already stored on the database). A fairly sweet system, and quick as well.

Originally posted by Monkeyguts
Funny, I shadowed a doc who has almost this exact system..the only difference being he faxes it to the pharmacy (Pharmacy numbers are already stored on the database). A fairly sweet system, and quick as well.

Does he still write out the script? that's the cruddy part. Deciphering is where you lose a lot of time. Multiply the three minutes to figure out each sig by the 200 each day and you've got a lot of potential freed up time.

this is a great thread btw!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, he doesn't write it out anymore. The whole thing is just a checklist from the computer now. Choose which drug, what strength, the pharmacy, and then click....off it goes. I'm sure the pharmacist's around town appreciate it because I've seen the dude's handwriting and it is atrocious to say the least.

Right on. I'm all over that. I've seen that as well at other med ctrs. Surprisingly, UCSf wasn't even close to implementing somthing like that.

I've also seen a lot of places that give you the hard copy script, but it's spit out by a printer. Those are really nice as well, but definitely the e-transfer system would be the ideal way to go or fax