Improving science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is should i retake some of the classes that i already took to make my sGPA look more competitive, or should i take more bio classes? Im a sophomore, and these are my stats so far

sGPA without math: 3.5 (took a&p, general chem, o-chem and physics)
sGPA with math: 3.66 (calc 1, 2 and 3, and differential equations)

Im planning on taking general bio next year, and start biochem either next spring or senior year. I'm sure i can get a's in those classes, so that'll help. I'm majoring in engineering so i only have room for 2-3 more classes. Maybe take genetics and cell bio?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My question is should i retake some of the classes that i already took to make my sGPA look more competitive, or should i take more bio classes? Im a sophomore, and these are my stats so far

sGPA without math: 3.5 (took a&p, general chem, o-chem and physics)
sGPA with math: 3.66 (calc 1, 2 and 3, and differential equations)

Im planning on taking general bio next year, and start biochem either next spring or senior year. I'm sure i can get a's in those classes, so that'll help. I'm majoring in engineering so i only have room for 2-3 more classes. Maybe take genetics and cell bio?

Thanks!
as far as retaking classes goes, if you earned low grades in any of your prereqs, you could retake those and shoot for As. AMCAS will count both but the A would still benefit you. beyond that, I suggest that you take a couple new classes that interest you. if you work hard and make your grades, you have the opportunity to show an upward trend that will look good. what's your cumulative?

as far as retaking classes goes, if you earned low grades in any of your prereqs, you could retake those and shoot for As. AMCAS will count both but the A would still benefit you. beyond that, I suggest that you take a couple new classes that interest you. if you work hard and make your grades, you have the opportunity to show an upward trend that will look good. what's your cumulative?

What would be considered a low grade? because i don't have any c's so i thought maybe taking extra biology classes would raise my science gpa. Genetics sounds really cool, but i'm not sure if retaking would be better for me. My cumulative is 3.69, and i'm hoping it'll go up by the end of the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you dont have C or below you should just take higher level science courses

by 'low grade' I meant a C or lower, so yeah it's probably not worth retaking anything. go ahead with genetics if you're interested in it! don't give yourself too much anxiety about your gpa; an engineering major is notoriously hard on it and a ~3.7 is still fairly strong. you have two years left; work hard and good luck. :xf:

by 'low grade' I meant a C or lower, so yeah it's probably not worth retaking anything. go ahead with genetics if you're interested in it! don't give yourself too much anxiety about your gpa; an engineering major is notoriously hard on it and a ~3.7 is still fairly strong. you have two years left; work hard and good luck. :xf:

Thanks!