In 20 years we may have the ability to live 1000 years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah why not

Members don't see this ad :)
If my family and friends can live on them too, sure I'd consider living that long...

Only geniuses like Albert Einstein and Barry Bostwick should be allowed to live up to 1000 (and Ted Danston aka Becker)

Ya... I don't think the enviornment could handle that many people being alive... I guess we would just have to give up on having babies.

I find it hard to believe that aging is all based on one or even a few genes. Like- how they are looking for the aging gene... it seems to me like it would be a multitude of things that would go into it. No cancer, no heart disease, no stroke, etc....

I think I would get tired of living after a couple hundred years.

sunny123 said:
If Gandalf can do it, why can't we??
But he's got all those cool wizard powers and a really fast horsey. Maybe I could if I had them.

Plus some bitchen fireworks.

it depends how you live, in terms of quality of life

if 200 years old out of the thousand has the same quality of life as 20 does today (and 30 as 300, and so on), then sure, why not if you're enjoying life

but if you age until what we know as 80-90 years old today, and live like that for another 900 years, then I'd give myself a nice IV bolus of KCl and go for a nice long sleep...

after all, who the hell would want to be in diapers not know if you went to the bathroom or not like many 80-90 year olds are today, BUT FOR 900 YEARS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, [homer voice]bichen fireworks[/homer voice] :D

Hermit MMood said:
Only geniuses like Albert Einstein and Barry Bostwick should be allowed to live up to 1000 (and Ted Danston aka Becker)

barry bostwick truly is a genius.

oh ted danson is and forever will be sam malone. i don't care that becker is a doctor.

this idea has been around a while, read francis fukuyama's 'Our posthuman future'

It would really stink to live in England if that were the case...I hear that medical treatments aren't covered anymore after 65. It would be a rough 935 years without a doc checkup or two...Those upper 800's, I tell you, they'll get you every time.

PS...I can't wait till people start making their pets live that long too

Not a chance it will happen.

so you're saying i should go with the lifetime yearly annuity instead of the lump sum on my winning powerball ticket?

the real question is what am i going to do with the extra 537 years? had i known about all this, i would have gone MSTP.

Maybe my math is wrong, but how would they know humans could last 1000 years with 10 years of testing?

Reaching that goal, however, will take at least 10 years of mouse trials and another 15 on humans.

1000 years huh, if that's true then medicare is screwed...

oh yea it's already screwed, nevermind :laugh:

JimmyMallo said:
1000 years huh, if that's true then medicare is screwed...

oh yea it's already screwed, nevermind :laugh:

HAHAHA what about social security?? Oh wait, just raise the retirement age. I'm thinking maybe 965. Get back to world, old crones!

"To the well-organized mind, death is but a wonderful thing. As much money and life as one could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack at choosing precisely those things which are worst for them." -Albus Dumbledore

heheh, i like MD Rapper's response. anyway, this is really interesting.. nanotechnology.. what an interesting field. :)

i cant even imagine what the world would be like 1000 years from now....cant decide whether i would want to stick around and see it or not......hmmmmmmmm?!?!

Blue Scrub said:
i cant even imagine what the world would be like 1000 years from now....cant decide whether i would want to stick around and see it or not......hmmmmmmmm?!?!

I bet it would be hard to stay married to the same person for 970 years... heh... which would lead to multiple "partners" which would lead to the spread of more STDs!!!! :laugh:

so i should go with geriatric meds instead of peds?

First, I was promised a flying car and a robot servant. I never got either. Nanotechnology is excessively hyped.

Second, you can live to be 1000 if the aging process is slowed, conceivably, but we would still need to cure every disease that might come along the way that could kill someone in good health.

Third, it would be a bitch for the first near-millenarian to be hit by a bus at age 999 years, 364 days (unless it was a leap year), but I would still laugh my long-dead ass off.

Dr. Donkey said:
Third, it would be a bitch for the first near-millenarian to be hit by a bus at age 999 years, 364 days (unless it was a leap year), but I would still laugh my long-dead ass off.

Given the overpopulation and crowdedness that would exist in a world where nobody dies of natural causes anymore I would hope that they would invent a better more efficient form of public transportation than a "bus". Hopefully this guy will get run over by some form of bullet-train monorail...

okay, so here is what i am thinking...

you dont go to school until you are 40...

you graduate college at around 210...

you live with your parents until at least 180 (220 and counting for me!)...

you work until you are 650...

HELL YEH, I GOT ME SOME 350 YEARS OF RETIRMENT!!!!!!

I wonder how many years of unused vacations you'd rack up, since most Americans dont use all their vacation time :)

Pourquoi? (I'm a worldly dunkey ;) )

roadrunnerrita said:
You all should read Jitterbug Perfume.

Dr. Donkey said:
First, I was promised a flying car

Yeah, I'm still ticked at Weekly Reader for this one!

Dope, I just got a parking ticket...

My car was only 5 feet above the curb, not 15 :/

roadrunnerrita said:
You all should read Jitterbug Perfume.

Tom Robbins, good stuff. Check out Kurt Vonnegut's story, "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow". Another if we could live forever story.