In a conundrum with my bio lab prereq fulfillment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moomoodog

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a little bit of a doozy.
Some background about the university I attend: It is a run on a quarter system, with 3 quarters of general bio lectures. Only one of these general bio lecture courses has a lab component. This is the lab component that the vast majority of students take, but I did not because I was able to join an alternative research based lab that could be taken in place of the normal lab component.
As I am getting close to graduation, I've found that I do not have the traditional 3 quarters of bio labs taken in conjunction with lecture.
I have a molecular bio lab, a microbio lab, and the research based lab course that I took in a series of 2 quarters which is not a lab taken in conjunction with any lecture course.
This leaves me with only 2 of the normal lab courses (molec & micro), missing a third quarter of lab. My school is no longer letting me enroll in the intro bio lab now that I declared my major.
I'm really stressing about finding out that I can no longer take that third intro bio lab for my last quarter to fulfill the prereqs, since there are almost no other bio labs to take because they are all no longer offered because of COVID stuff.
Do you guys think that this is something that medschools will look at seriously? What I'm hoping for here is that they will accept the research based labs that I have done for the lab prereqs, as they are considered by my own school as an acceptable replacement, in terms of my graduation.
Hopefully this wasn't too confusing a read,
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have a health professions office/ premed advisory office? I'd ask them how other premeds at your school have dealt with this situation. If I had to guess, you'd be fine for med school but if not, there's not a doubt in my mind your school would allow you to take the missing quarter.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors