In a Dual B.S./M.S. - Question on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZRCMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dual B.S./M.S. both in hard science fields and at this stage of the program I've been taking a couple graduate level classes along w/ my undergraduate schedule. However, I'm still classified as an undergraduate by the university. Will my graduate level courses then be counted into my total BCPM gpa along with undergrad courses?

Hopefully at least a few of you have been down this road as well and can give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the AMCAS Instruction Manual in front of me but IIRC if the courses count towards your masters then they are counted separately as graduate courses, regardless of when you took them. Someone better double check me though.

It depends on how your school counts the classes. If they count it towards your undergrad GPA then that is how Amcas will see it. Sometimes they will have dual class codes one for Grad one for undergrad for the same course. Its best to ask our program co-coordinator how they enter it in for your transcript. If your school does not count it as grad units until you finish 4th year then be careful b/c grad school grading can be tricky A vs B work in the eyes of the prof may be very subjective especially if your peers are grad students.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how your school counts the classes. If they count it towards your undergrad GPA then that is how Amcas will see it. Sometimes they will have dual class codes one for Grad one for undergrad for the same course. Its best to ask our program co-coordinator how they enter it in for your transcript. If your school does not count it as grad units until you finish 4th year then be careful b/c grad school grading can be tricky A vs B work in the eyes of the prof may be very subjective especially if your peers are grad students.

This.

Most likely it will count towards you gGPA tho.

If you have enrolled simultaneously in an undergraduate and a graduate program (e.g., Bachelors/Masters dual degree):
The graduate-level course work will count toward a graduate degree. The graduate- level course work should be listed under the graduate status at the time the courses were attempted.
AMCAS instruction manual

I am in a similar program. At our school, the grad courses also count toward our ugrad GPA. So, for my AMCAS, my grad courses counted towards both my ugrad and grad GPAs. hope that helps.

I am in a similar program. At our school, the grad courses also count toward our ugrad GPA. So, for my AMCAS, my grad courses counted towards both my ugrad and grad GPAs. hope that helps.
Yup. The next point of the instruction manual:
If you have enrolled in a dual degree program and the graduate-level course work will count towards both the graduate and undergraduate degrees:
The graduate-level course work should be listed under both the appropriate undergraduate and graduate academic statuses.
You haven't given us enough info, but one of the two quotes should answer your question