In a MS/MD program but looking into other schools. Worried about undergraduate prestige.

Dec 20, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all!

I attend Toledo and am currently in the BS/MD program. I've managed to maintain a 4.0 and am taking the MCAT this coming June. I have a guaranteed interview through the MS/MD program, but nothing is guaranteed. I've lived in Toledo my whole life, and I am kind of interested in moving away and starting in a different location.

Granted this means giving up my seat (if I get in) to apply to other schools more broadly. Would going to a less prestigious school put me at a disadvantage when applying to very competitive schools? Should I even consider denying a seat with hopes of applying elsewhere? This is a lot of speculation, but I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Jan 14, 2021
Hello all!

I attend Toledo and am currently in the BS/MD program. I've managed to maintain a 4.0 and am taking the MCAT this coming June. I have a guaranteed interview through the MS/MD program, but nothing is guaranteed. I've lived in Toledo my whole life, and I am kind of interested in moving away and starting in a different location.

Granted this means giving up my seat (if I get in) to apply to other schools more broadly. Would going to a less prestigious school put me at a disadvantage when applying to very competitive schools? Should I even consider denying a seat with hopes of applying elsewhere? This is a lot of speculation, but I'd appreciate any feedback :)
If you get the seat, go. If you don’t get the seat, apply elsewhere. If you don’t want to go there, withdraw before you are accepted. Other schools will not know if you had that previous acceptance, but it is good form to not waste their time and yours.

Coming from a less prestigious school will not matter whatsoever if the MCAT matches the GPA. But to go to a more prestigious school, MCAT needs to be 515+ do you have a long road ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PatchAdamsWannabe

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
All depends on your application. If you have a strong MCAT and killer ECs, you might do well with competitive schools if you can write about your experiences effectively. If you don't have those things, it might be a good idea to just stick with Toledo, which is a great school.

Anecdotally, I was / am in a similar position-- I went to an undergrad very similar to Toledo and had the opportunity to do a linkage program but elected not to. I had several IIs this cycle and am very thankful to have multiple As, but only one of my IIs was a T25 school and I have been WLed there. I do not feel like my undergrad's lack of prestige was the reason I did not get love from more competitive schools. My application simply did not have the X factor they were looking for.

I think you would be smart to make this decision after you take your MCAT and objectively evaluate your own chances at admission-- perhaps post in a WAMC thread in July? Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you get the seat, go. If you don’t get the seat, apply elsewhere. If you don’t want to go there, withdraw before you are accepted. Other schools will not know if you had that previous acceptance, but it is good form to not waste their time and yours.

Coming from a less prestigious school will not matter whatsoever if the MCAT matches the GPA. But to go to a more prestigious school, MCAT needs to be 515+ do you have a long road ahead.
This is not true with BS/MD programs. It is no more bad form to be accepted and not attend than it is to fail to withdraw all applications in a cycle as soon as you receive your first acceptance.

If the program requires him to give up his seat before applying out, there is absolutely no harm and he is not wasting anyone's time. If they allow him to keep his seat while applying out, he is like anyone else with an acceptance seeing if he can do better. He put in the time and fulfilled his program obligations to date. There is no reason for him not to find out whether or not he has the acceptance before deciding what to do!!!

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.