This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear.92384

Reaction score
[ ]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
U should get into another school just do well on the oat

Reactions: 1 users
I think having to flee two hurricanes during your first year constitutes sufficient "extenuating circumstances" for a prospective school to forgive your poor PR grades. I agree with the above. Redo the OAT, get a better score, and reapply to wherever you want to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, this is going to be quite long.

My original plan was to go to optometry school. I graduated with a Bachelor’s in biology (3.45 gpa). I was extremely rushed in trying to get all of my application material together. I was trying to balance a full-time schedule of senior level science classes while completing my OptomCAS and also balancing all the extracurricular activities (president of 3 clubs, including my university’s pre-optomtery club etc.). My application was definitely not as strong as it could have been. What hurt me the most was my OAT score since I did not get enough time to study for it.

I sent my application in very late. I was waitlisted for 2 schools but the only acceptance I got was for the Caribbean school. I hurriedly decided to go there without putting much thought into it (bad decision). Looking back, I should have taking a year off after graduating, re-took the OAT and strengthened my application. I am very sure that I would have been accepted to optometry schools in the mainland.

So I went there and it did not go well at all due to various reasons such as living on my own for the first time, having to fly back home due to the hurricanes 2 times, etc. There was extensive damage to the school from the hurricane the second time around. We had a 1 month “break” in October while the school underwent repairs. Because of this, our schedule was completely disorganized. We had exam after exam instead of them being spaced out. It was overwhelming for me and I couldn’t balance all of the classes. We had classes on Saturdays to make up for the lost time. Instead of having finals in December, they were pushed back to after winter break in January. So we only had 2 days between first and second semester. I will not bash on the school in other aspects (that’s already been done in another thread and I’d have to say that a lot (not all) of it is true).

I also can’t blame the situation 100% on external factors. Even though there were other students in my class in the same position as me, other’s were able to go on to go on to next year. Some students withdrew, some were dismissed, some had to retake classes in the summer and some were able to go on to next year.

So after being at the school for one year, I was academically dismissed. I appealed the decision and my appeal was accepted. Originally, I was told that I would only have to repeat classes in which I received a C or below in. However, when I was home for summer break, I received the official letter of re-admittance but it stated that I would have to retake all of the classes, even one’s I received an A or B in. I thought it was a mistake so I emailed a school official about this. I got a response saying that I shouldn’t have to take the A or B classes but to confirm with another person. So I e-mailed the second person and he said the decision is final and non-negotiable. This was very discouraging because even though those classes weren’t difficult, they still required much time. After giving it much thought, (due to other factors such as the school’s passing rate for boards and overall quality of education) I decided to leave the school and go on to a different path.

So I went back to the school to get all my belongings and sign the official withdrawal letter. I finished packing everything, which took hours, and went to the office to sign and turn in my dorm keys. As soon in I got back to my dorm room, I got an e-mail from the school saying the dean wanted to speak to me. I was taken aback as to why he wanted to see me. (I failed some classes in first semester and I got no outreach from the school before beginning second semester) He had my file open with all my grades and undergraduate grades. He basically was asking me what happened since I never failed a single class in undergrad. After about a 15 minute talk, he stated that if I chose to come back to the school, I would not have to re-take the classes I received an A or B in. I was quite upset and in shock to hear this because why was the school giving me this offer now instead of when I originally inquired about it? Is it just me or is that a little questionable on the school’s part?

Anyways, so I’ve left the school and looking for a plan B now. However, I just don’t know if I would even get accepted into any other Master’s or Doctorate programs due to my horrid transcript from this past year in PR. Optometry was always my plan and I am passionate about it but I highly doubt I would get in any optometry school now given my record. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. :(

Dude eveyrthing i read in your post is 100% your fault.
"since I did not get enough time to study for it."

NO. you didn't make time to study for it. You majored in BIO one of the easiest degrees there is. Stop making excuses for yourself and take some freaking responsibility for once in your life and own all your failures. You dropped out because YOU failed to study and take school seriously.

If you are worried about your bad records just omit them when applying to future schools...

Yours is a complicated situation. I would call the schools you are interested in, express your interest and ask what their recommendation would be to increase your chances of admission.

Reactions: 1 users

NO. you didn't make time to study for it. You majored in BIO one of the easiest degrees there is. Stop making excuses for yourself and take some freaking responsibility for once in your life and own all your failures. You dropped out because YOU failed to study and take school seriously.

If you are worried about your bad records just omit them when applying to future schools...

Please do not omit transcripts when applying to future schools, you can get in a lot of trouble doing that. That's the worst advice I've heard. Be honest and transparent. Like Optogal said above, you definitely had extenuating circumstances. It also sounds like you are passionate and have learned from what happened, so the best route would be to kill the OAT and apply again.

I think having to flee two hurricanes during your first year constitutes sufficient "extenuating circumstances" for a prospective school to forgive your poor PR grades. I agree with the above. Redo the OAT, get a better score, and reapply to wherever you want to go.
thank you

Yours is a complicated situation. I would call the schools you are interested in, express your interest and ask what their recommendation would be to increase your chances of admission.
thank you

Please do not omit transcripts when applying to future schools, you can get in a lot of trouble doing that. That's the worst advice I've heard. Be honest and transparent. Like Optogal said above, you definitely had extenuating circumstances. It also sounds like you are passionate and have learned from what happened, so the best route would be to kill the OAT and apply again.
thank you and yeah it's mandatory to submit every transcript

Yeah I definitely take the blame... I wouldn't say bio is necessarily easy, also minored in chem and psych but ya... had too much on my plate and couldn't focus on studying for oat. You can't just omit transcripts... I wouldn't be posting this if I could do that

Okay, this is going to be quite long.

My original plan was to go to optometry school. I graduated with a Bachelor’s in biology (3.45 gpa). I was extremely rushed in trying to get all of my application material together. I was trying to balance a full-time schedule of senior level science classes while completing my OptomCAS and also balancing all the extracurricular activities (president of 3 clubs, including my university’s pre-optomtery club etc.). My application was definitely not as strong as it could have been. What hurt me the most was my OAT score since I did not get enough time to study for it.

I sent my application in very late. I was waitlisted for 2 schools but the only acceptance I got was for the Caribbean school. I hurriedly decided to go there without putting much thought into it (bad decision). Looking back, I should have taking a year off after graduating, re-took the OAT and strengthened my application. I am very sure that I would have been accepted to optometry schools in the mainland.

So I went there and it did not go well at all due to various reasons such as living on my own for the first time, having to fly back home due to the hurricanes 2 times, etc. There was extensive damage to the school from the hurricane the second time around. We had a 1 month “break” in October while the school underwent repairs. Because of this, our schedule was completely disorganized. We had exam after exam instead of them being spaced out. It was overwhelming for me and I couldn’t balance all of the classes. We had classes on Saturdays to make up for the lost time. Instead of having finals in December, they were pushed back to after winter break in January. So we only had 2 days between first and second semester. I will not bash on the school in other aspects (that’s already been done in another thread and I’d have to say that a lot (not all) of it is true).

I also can’t blame the situation 100% on external factors. Even though there were other students in my class in the same position as me, other’s were able to go on to go on to next year. Some students withdrew, some were dismissed, some had to retake classes in the summer and some were able to go on to next year.

So after being at the school for one year, I was academically dismissed. I appealed the decision and my appeal was accepted. Originally, I was told that I would only have to repeat classes in which I received a C or below in. However, when I was home for summer break, I received the official letter of re-admittance but it stated that I would have to retake all of the classes, even one’s I received an A or B in. I thought it was a mistake so I emailed a school official about this. I got a response saying that I shouldn’t have to take the A or B classes but to confirm with another person. So I e-mailed the second person and he said the decision is final and non-negotiable. This was very discouraging because even though those classes weren’t difficult, they still required much time. After giving it much thought, (due to other factors such as the school’s passing rate for boards and overall quality of education) I decided to leave the school and go on to a different path.

So I went back to the school to get all my belongings and sign the official withdrawal letter. I finished packing everything, which took hours, and went to the office to sign and turn in my dorm keys. As soon in I got back to my dorm room, I got an e-mail from the school saying the dean wanted to speak to me. I was taken aback as to why he wanted to see me. (I failed some classes in first semester and I got no outreach from the school before beginning second semester) He had my file open with all my grades and undergraduate grades. He basically was asking me what happened since I never failed a single class in undergrad. After about a 15 minute talk, he stated that if I chose to come back to the school, I would not have to re-take the classes I received an A or B in. I was quite upset and in shock to hear this because why was the school giving me this offer now instead of when I originally inquired about it? Is it just me or is that a little questionable on the school’s part?

Anyways, so I’ve left the school and looking for a plan B now. However, I just don’t know if I would even get accepted into any other Master’s or Doctorate programs due to my horrid transcript from this past year in PR. Optometry was always my plan and I am passionate about it but I highly doubt I would get in any optometry school now given my record. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

I am sorry for your experience. PR is a nightmare and unless people go there then they have no clue how terrible it is and have no right to say everything is your fault. They have no experience with the crapshow that is IAUPR. no experience with cabello or Romero. You should not have to retake those classes that you passed. Look in the student manual and if that is not listed as a requirement in that handbook then they legally can not hold you to retaking those Classes. Look into it. You are not the only student in that position, that I can promise. In the past, if your grades where good enough to be re-admitted then they would let you take the classes you had a C or lower and thats it ( it creates and issue for financial aid but either way) I have seen students threaten with a lawyer and get whats fair for them. I am sorry you even went there in the first place to be honest. The school should be shut down and at the very least Romero should be removed. GO and talk to Dean Andres Pagan. Romero is a waste of a human who knows he is the problem with that school. Its no wonder they are being investigated by the ACOE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.