In accordance with your supreme knowledgey-ness...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madame Defarge

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, and thank you so much for stopping by!
This is the VERY first one, so I appologize for any errors on my part :D.
First of all, I am just beginning my undergraduate journey--I will be entering the majestic sophmore year this fall (ooohhh, aahhh). Anyway, I decided a while back I wanted a career that challenged me to a great extent, would allow me leadership of some sort, and would let me go to Africa and take care of sick people. So, here I am as a pre-med student. My freshman year has been pretty good. Grades have been ok, and I was able to begin doing genetics research which is way cool. I also volunteer in the E.R of my local hospital, and am involved in a pre-med mentorship program. I am also in the honor's program. Like just about everyone else, I am quite confused about all of this still and would give anything for guidence!! After this last semester, I realized research took up more time than I thought and my grades slipped to a 3.76. I was horrified, especially since I know I could have done better. For some reason, I feel the need to give up (which is ridiculous). But I am wary that because my grades slipped so early on, I am in trouble. Anyone have any suggestions/ insight?? I am also a Spanish minor currently, but I am trying to figure out--does having a spanish minor really look good on an application? I only have 3 more classes to take, but I was just wondering...
I know this is really long, Im kinda wordy :D
Have a fantastic day!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, and thank you so much for stopping by!
This is the VERY first one, so I appologize for any errors on my part :D.
First of all, I am just beginning my undergraduate journey--I will be entering the majestic sophmore year this fall (ooohhh, aahhh). Anyway, I decided a while back I wanted a career that challenged me to a great extent, would allow me leadership of some sort, and would let me go to Africa and take care of sick people. So, here I am as a pre-med student. My freshman year has been pretty good. Grades have been ok, and I was able to begin doing genetics research which is way cool. I also volunteer in the E.R of my local hospital, and am involved in a pre-med mentorship program. I am also in the honor's program. Like just about everyone else, I am quite confused about all of this still and would give anything for guidence!! After this last semester, I realized research took up more time than I thought and my grades slipped to a 3.76. I was horrified, especially since I know I could have done better. For some reason, I feel the need to give up (which is ridiculous). But I am wary that because my grades slipped so early on, I am in trouble. Anyone have any suggestions/ insight?? I am also a Spanish minor currently, but I am trying to figure out--does having a spanish minor really look good on an application? I only have 3 more classes to take, but I was just wondering...
I know this is really long, Im kinda wordy :D
Have a fantastic day!!

3.76 is fine... yes, spanish looks great, especially toward the south...
have a fantastic day

I moved your post down to the main pre-allo board, since it's a more suitable location for your topic.

There's certainly no reason to give up. You have 3 more years to do those three courses if you want the minor, and a 3.76 is quite a nice GPA. As long as you're not exhausted, it sounds like you're doing fine. If Spanish interests you and you want the minor, go for it. If you're only doing it for looks, it may not be worth the stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minor in Spanish only if you like it, but yes, it could only help your application.

Stop stressing!!! Enjoy college, your GPA is fine, and don't let minor setbacks get to you. If you are determined enough (which it sounds like you are) you won't let anything stop you from your goals, am I right? :)

OP, how high are you right now?

3.76 is a'ok.

I'm similarly interested in what a Spanish Minor will do for you? I mean does it really make a difference whether or not you get the minor if you put down that you can speak Spanish in the languages section? Seems like a waste of time to get the minor if you can already speak the language just fine. Thoughts?