PhD/PsyD In an attempt to make reports and psych terms more accessible how would you define the following?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to make my reports more succinct, readable, and accessible. How would you guys define the following terms:
  • executive functions
  • verbal comprehension
  • visual spatial reasoning
  • fluid reasoning
  • working memory

I might be over thinking this. But, I am kind of looking for little ways to describe these to parents in a clear an accessible way.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My explanation is similar to WisNeuro for EF (although depending on who you ask, there are folks that don't view EF as an actual cognitive domain, in part because it's so multi-faceted). I'll describe it as higher-level thinking skills like multi-tasking and problem-solving. And in general, the skills that help you figure out how to get from A to B, and then to monitor your progress along the way. Working memory I would probably describe as a your ability to work with information "on the fly," to attend to information and keep it in mind while you also manipulate it and draw on information you already know. In my work, when I describe verbal comprehension, it's basically just being able to understand verbal information (e.g., what people say to you).

Reactions: 2 users
decision making, thinking with words, thinking visually, lateral thinking, and how much of a space cadet you are.

Reactions: 1 user
My explanation is similar to WisNeuro for EF (although depending on who you ask, there are folks that don't view EF as an actual cognitive domain, in part because it's so multi-faceted). I'll describe it as higher-level thinking skills like multi-tasking and problem-solving. And in general, the skills that help you figure out how to get from A to B, and then to monitor your progress along the way. Working memory I would probably describe as a your ability to work with information "on the fly," to attend to information and keep it in mind while you also manipulate it and draw on information you already know. In my work, when I describe verbal comprehension, it's basically just being able to understand verbal information (e.g., what people say to you).
I use cartoons as an example when describing it to parents. "You know those old cartoons where bugs bunny is about to do something naughty and an angel and a devil pops up on his shoulder. Forget the devil part. EF's act a lot like that angel on your shoulder, but they help you plan, thinking ahead, organize, etc. - they remind you that your doing x and need to get back to work, etc."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It might also be helpful to use tangible illustrative examples of what it looks like in a practical sense for kids who perform high, average, and low on measures of these functions and then compare it to where their kid is at. E.g., a child with lower executive function might be more impulsive and take a cookie cooling on the counter even when they've been told to wait until given permission by their parent. Or a kid kid higher in it might be better able to plan out how to get all their homework done in the day or to balance various demands, like school, sports, and hanging out with friends.

Reactions: 3 users
I use cartoons as an example when describing it to parents. "You know those old cartoons where bugs bunny is about to do something naughty and an angel and a devil pops up on his shoulder. Forget the devil part. EF's act a lot like that angel on your shoulder, but they help you plan, thinking ahead, organize, etc. - they remind you that your doing x and need to get back to work, etc."
That’s actually an excellent analogy for a succinct explanation I think! Thanks for the idea- definitely plan to use that in the future - thanks for the idea :)

That’s actually an excellent analogy for a succinct explanation I think! Thanks for the idea- definitely plan to use that in the future - thanks for the idea :)
BTW- this even works with spanish speaking parents - looney tunes are not just a cultural to america.