In at UNECOM but waitlisted at an M.D. school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by siednarb, May 26, 2000.

  1. siednarb

    siednarb Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2000
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    99
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    HELP! I got into UNECOM back in October (I also got into NOVA but turned it down for UNECOM) but i just got wait listed at Wayne State (an allopathic school in my home state (Michigan) and so its a lot cheaper) I need to sign a lease soon in Maine and move my stuff there if that's where I am going to be - so I was wondering if anyone has any advice...should I wait to hear from Wayne or just go to UNECOM? I really love UNECOM, it looks like a great school for me, but the cheaper tution at Wayne is compelling me to wait as long as I can. Advice anyone?
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. miglo

    miglo Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 1999
    Messages:
    379
    Likes Received:
    0
    Im in a similar situation over in CA. I'm getting ready to move down to Western in Pomona, but waitlisted over in UCDavis. Its $28k vs $6k. Only thing to do is wait... [​IMG]

    mig
     
  4. sph

    sph Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2000
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't know how it is everywhere else but I know in texas you have till may 30th to make a decision regarding which med school you want to go to if your holding multiple acceptances. Allowing some of the people on the waiting list to get an acceptance.

    Find out if there is any sort of deadline like that for Wayne State. If there is, wait until that deadline but after that I think that I would just go to the school you were accepted at especially if your not really high on the wait list.
     
  5. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    31
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Go to UNECOM. It's a great school, great reputation, and (from what I hear) great people. Being waitlisted could or could not mean acceptance. The sooner you decide, the sooner someone else who has not yet been accepted will find out their status.

    Best of luck!

    [ AIDS...it doesn't only happen to bad people. We can beat it. ]



    ------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"
     
  6. uflake

    uflake New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2000
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey there,

    I am actually in exactly the same situation as you at the moment. I was accepted to KCOM and Nova and placed on the alternate list at the University of Florida (my undergrad school). I threw out Nova as a possible choice and paid all my deposits to KCOM. I am still, however, holding out on UF for a few more weeks. My advice to you is to set a date when you won't consider Wayne State an option anymore. I set a date for two weeks from now when I will fly to Missouri to pick out an apartment. There is only so long that you can wait and let these schools jerk you around. The tuition at the public school in your home state is probably awesome when compared to the DO school, but there comes a time when you have to finalize your decision of where to go.

    I know I will be happy at either school, but I want things to be finalized (as I am sure you do too). Good luck with your decision!
     
  7. cet

    cet Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 1999
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    have you contacted wayne and told them about your situation? they would certainly look favorably upon you if you told them you would ABSOLUTELY go there if you were taken off the waiting list. sometimes this makes a difference and might hurry things along at your state school. it is certainly better to be in less debt if you can. but call wayne admissions department for sure. good luck!
     

Share This Page