In bed by ten?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading LVPharms post and now i'm wondering: what kind of hours are you working as a clinical intern and what are the hours of clinical pharmacists?

Do you cover a lot of swingshifts and graveyard? I'm not into that. I'll do it, but that's one of the reasons that med school sounded a$@ to me.

Members don't see this ad.

The pharmacy supervisors where I work seem to be out the door by 4PM every day. I work as an intern, per diem. They'll only let me do 8 hour shifts as per diem staff, so I can only work saturdays and sundays on alternating weekends (between exams). They gave me the choice of working part time (if I needed the benefits, medical/dental, etc.) but I would have to commit to 20 hrs/week...can't do that with my class workload. They gave me the choice of day shift or swing shift, I chose day shift so I'm out the door by 2:30 PM and I still get some of my weekend to goof-off (or study ;) ). IDEALLY, I would have liked to have 12-16 hrs/week, but my hospital won't let me work 4 hr shifts as per diem.

There is some discussion in our class about california state board requirements for sitting for the exam, and whether or not we need to accrue ~900 hrs under the EMPLOYMENT (ie, paid) of a pharmacy (see page 5 of their "pharmacy licensure examination" pdf file). :confused: This is one of the reasons so many of my classmates are working. If anybody here can clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it...save me from talking to someone at the board.

I'm working for additional hospital experience, regardless of the state board requirments. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
They gave me the choice of working part time (if I needed the benefits, medical/dental, etc.)

That's f$%kin bangin' that they offered you benefits!! I never even thought of that before. This is in retail right?

I'd almost be tempted to do 20 hrs/wk at SC for bennies. I could opt out of the student insurance.

Do you know anymore about that LV?

Yeah, but don't get too excited, Triangulation! ;) I work in a hospital pharmacy (Sunrise). I don't think every hospital that actually hires interns will hire them part time...UMC, the other hospital here in Vegas that hires interns seems to only hire per diem. (actually, to my knowledge, they haven't hired any new interns since around august) If you wanted to work retail, I am not at all sure about that...maybe they do hire part timers w/ benefits; but something makes me think that's not the case.

You can't be in bed by ten! You'll miss the Daily Show. :)

I was in bed by 6:30am last night, and up at 8am this morning if that counts. (term paper and finals here)

Jd
:sleep:

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I was in bed by 6:30am last night, and up at 8am this morning if that counts. (term paper and finals here)

Jd
:sleep:

I know where your coming from. I turned in my 29 page research paper yesterday. Tomorrow, I have to present another paper that I did last month at "academic excellence day". Then, starting Friday I have 10 more exams (including finals) and I finish on May 6th. It is going to be hell.

Then, starting Friday I have 10 more exams (including finals) and I finish on May 6th. It is going to be hell.

Yikes. good luck w/that!! It's been a long time since I had to deal with anything like that. Probably, 1st or 2nd quarter of soph year at U-dub.