in constructing list: "Low yield", state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haaaaaaaaaaveyoumetted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of us constructing our lists of schools for this upcoming cycle, around what % interviewed/accepted would you qualify as low yield? It's hard to tell from an MSAR comparison of mid-tier schools.

Also, what % OOS accepted would you recommend for applying to state schools for which you are OOS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends also on your stats and your "mission fit" to the schools in question. Many OOS schools are notoriously low-yield for most OOS applicants, but make a lot of sense for some...

Reactions: 1 user
I based my school list on reasons to apply and influences to attend.

For example, Philadelphia schools? Strong support system (my brother lives there). New York schools? I'm a legal resident. Creighton/Georgetown? I attended a Jesuit undergrad. Then—of course—sprinkle in some reaches and you have a great app! Keep in mind, they are not particularly low-yield if you fit the mission statement. Put in the time, do the research, and you will be fine. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A nice shortcut is that a school that does not grant IS preference and gets >9000 apps (I thing goro said this but am not sure) is sure as hell low yield. Stereotypical low yield schools IMO would be Tulane or Georgetown.

A school that has a reasonable OOS acceptance rate would be somewhere like Arizona.

I suggest anything 15% or higher of interviewees from OOS is worth going for.

The higher your stats, the wider your net can be cast.

Hi all,

For those of us constructing our lists of schools for this upcoming cycle, around what % interviewed/accepted would you qualify as low yield? It's hard to tell from an MSAR comparison of mid-tier schools.

Also, what % OOS accepted would you recommend for applying to state schools for which you are OOS?

Thanks!