in danger of failing (research credits).. help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

handsanitizer2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
a little background info.. i am a sophomore at a pretty prestigious undergrad school. i didn't do well at all freshman year, no Cs but only a few As and mostly Bs. this semester and while taking orgo over the summer, i've really turned it around and gotten only As and A-s, and am looking at a 3.8-3.9 this semester.

so HERE'S MY PROBLEM (sigh). at my school you can register for independent research credits with a professor as a freshman/sophomore, and they are pass/fail (s/u). i signed up for 3 credits last semester while learning the techniques and i got a pass from my PI pretty easily. this semester i'm taking 17 credits so i only signed up for 1.5 research credits since our credit max is 18.5. my PI told me i haven't done enough work this semester (in terms of data and experiments) and she told me she plans to give me a fail for those credits. HELP i'm scared i will get continuously questioned about this throughout the application process. it won't affect my GPA and i'm a good student but she thinks i haven't done enough. technically 1.5 credits that she is grading me on means coming in for 4-5 hours/week which i have definitely done, even if it isn't enough work for me to stay in the lab, i still have spent enough time in lab to pass. i will talk to my advisor about withdrawing from the research and if that doesn't work i'll try to talk to my PI. but what if nothing works and i end up with an unsatisfactory on my transcript? how bad will that affect my application? what can i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd definitely talk to your advisor or whoever is in charge with research.
It's not your fault she didn't give you enough work.
You put in the time so you deserve to pass.

i'd definitely talk to your advisor or whoever is in charge with research.
It's not your fault she didn't give you enough work.
You put in the time so you deserve to pass.

i'm talking with the dean to see if i can withdraw from the class for personal reasons. if that doesn't work, not sure what else i can do. PI is being really stubborn about this and i really don't have much say. she said my mentor said i didn't have enough time even though there were numerous occasions where i came in and he wasn't there or he told me to take it easy bc i had exams.... i really just dont know if theres anything more i can say or do.