In deep doodoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthParkMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took physics 1 last year. bombed it. got a D+.

Retook it this year, and expecting a C-C+.

Since this is a prereq, I am basically screwed. What can I do at this point? I can't take classes that I get a C or better in for a grade replacement (stupid rule by my dumb uni).

Members don't see this ad.

Just make A's from here out. You aren't screwed in any way. Is your application going to be not-perfect? Yep. So is everyone else's. Just learn from your mistakes (WHY did you do poorly in physics?) and use them to get better. Pick your head up.

What did you try different this time around compared to the last? Did you revamp anything? Tutor? Physics Tutor DVD? A diff professor? What can you change for Physics 2? Personally, 2 was way better than 1. I love lights and optics. Circuits just make sense. Look ahead in your book now, before the class even starts, and get an idea of where you are headed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Since this is a prereq, I am basically screwed. What can I do at this point? I can't take classes that I get a C or better in for a grade replacement (stupid rule by my dumb uni).

If you are smart and you know it, don't worry. Physics is the type of class that, if the teacher is bad, it's hard to get it.

That is usually the case when several smart individuals do poorly, but the class still has a fair number of individuals earning high marks.

Because...

Physics (at least at that level), is explained in 200+ different ways, all over the internet....

Just google the subject and teach yourself.

I learned that too late, but when you are in a class that requires problem solving and application over basic memorization, it's usually much easier, to just hop on the internet and teach yourself.

Don't fret it. Take an advanced physics course, and do well...

Was the case for me.

A in every stats course I have taken. A in Pre-calc.
C- in Calc 1
A in Calc 2....

B+ in both physics 1 and 2.
A in both biomedical physics courses I took.

Teach yourself. Don't depend on teachers, unless they are actually known for being good teachers.

You're definitely not screwed, but you are making it tougher on yourself.

Work hard to pull up your GPA; you can definitely do that.

I'm more concerned with how you will do in Physics 2. I found it tougher than Physics 1. Also, Physics is a healthy portion of the MCAT, so you need to somewhat grasp it by then.

Not trying to frighten you; I just suggest that you take any and all means necessary to prepare for Physics 2 in your next semester.

One idea for you: Take Physics 2 over the summer at your university, or a legitimate one nearby. This will be the only class you have to focus on, so you should be able to pull the A and get a firm grasp on the subject.

Is there any possible way you can withdraw, or take an incomplete?

Is there any possible way you can withdraw, or take an incomplete?

LOL I'm gonna say no since he's probably getting ready to take his final exam about now. Anyway, why would he take an incomplete and have the class with a D on the transcript instead of bringing it up to a C? A C is recoverable, with a D you might as well toss your app in the trash.

LOL I'm gonna say no since he's probably getting ready to take his final exam about now. Anyway, why would he take an incomplete and have the class with a D on the transcript instead of bringing it up to a C? A C is recoverable, with a D you might as well toss your app in the trash.

and I thought Incompletes were only for when you and the prof worked out a deal to submit work after the term ends, otherwise the grades automatically turn to F's?

The C after the D is more damning than the D itself. Anyone can have a bad semester, but getting a C in anything you've taken before is just bad form. Every grade you make gets reported to AMCAS when you apply, so repeating the class won't help. Besides, no grade is impressive the third time through, you have to up the ante by taking a harder course and doing well.

Not to sound cliche or anything.. but have you identified why you did badly both times?

Good luck on the MCAT should you ever take it. It has physics too.

You should just withdraw if you can, figure out your problem, and aim for an A next time. Getting a C after a D is like confirming you really just can't handle material.

Good luck on the MCAT should you ever take it. It has physics too.

You should just withdraw if you can, figure out your problem, and aim for an A next time. Getting a C after a D is like confirming you really just can't handle material.

but mcat physics is easy, its nothing like the physics courses I had to take in college.

I wouldn't sweat it, not everyone is good at everything, and physics doesn't come to a lot of people. I got lucky and had a really easy Physics professor, hence my A in the course. Conceptually, I'm still not very good at it, and I definitely don't have an A-understanding of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the teaching style of the professor doesn't necessarily match the learning style of the student. Ask around, are there professors who are better at clarifying certain concepts? Are certain professors notorious for grading-breaking exams? Do some professors weigh labs more heavily than homework, etc. Know these things before you pick your classes in the future.

Dont worry man. GPA is a mixture of all classes so one not so perfect grade wont effect it much (specially since you are required to take 120 credits). make sure to get as many points as possible tho till the end of this year. a C is still better than a C- .. another important note is to learn from your mistakes. study harder if you think you are not smart enough. hard work beats smartness any day.

The C after the D is more damning than the D itself. Anyone can have a bad semester, but getting a C in anything you've taken before is just bad form. Every grade you make gets reported to AMCAS when you apply, so repeating the class won't help. Besides, no grade is impressive the third time through, you have to up the ante by taking a harder course and doing well.

I can't take classes that I get a C or better in for a grade replacement

Yes but if you see what he said the C will replace the D for purposes of GPA. He's basically got no choice now, I assume theres no possibility for withdrawal at this point. However, the D will not get factored into the GPA so there's the possibility that the D could be overlooked depending on how they send the transcript too (I know AMCAS will have it but who knows). Right now there's no choice...just suck it up and apply to a lot of lower tier schools when you apply to see who'll give you interviews.

Dental School.

Thanks for bringing your expertise in freshman.
You're civil. Oh, by the way...
Hey *other user*, how does it feel to know that there are non-urm kids with C's (i even know of one with an F) in both science and non-science classes here at HMS?

must make you wanna be real tough over the internet now, huh.

Yes but if you see what he said the C will replace the D for purposes of GPA. He's basically got no choice now, I assume theres no possibility for withdrawal at this point. However, the D will not get factored into the GPA so there's the possibility that the D could be overlooked depending on how they send the transcript too (I know AMCAS will have it but who knows). Right now there's no choice...just suck it up and apply to a lot of lower tier schools when you apply to see who'll give you interviews.
Also, this is wrong. Schools never see an applicant's institutional transcript. They don't get sent with AMCAS or anything like that, the grades are all translated into the AMCAS application and that is sent universally. The C will also not replace the D for the purposes of GPA, because AMCAS, unlike AACOMAS, does not replace grades, even if an applicant's institution does for the purposes of calculating the applicant's GPA there.

Also, this is wrong. Schools never see an applicant's institutional transcript. They don't get sent with AMCAS or anything like that, the grades are all translated into the AMCAS application and that is sent universally. The C will also not replace the D for the purposes of GPA, because AMCAS, unlike AACOMAS, does not replace grades, even if an applicant's institution does for the purposes of calculating the applicant's GPA there.

You are correct there sir I haven't filled out the AMCAS in so long that I forgot about the non-grade replacement (plus I didn't have that problem)...so he's even more screwed than I thought.

And yeah you have something by some dude online who says that one person he knows with an F goes to HMS (I have no idea where you dug that one up from). However, the people I know who had Ds were basically told by our pre-med office (which is a very good one) not to apply and bring those grades up with a post-bacc year. In fact, that might be what those people who had crappy grades did that that guy was talking about in your quote. If you're trying to roll in with Ds on your transcript, you better have either gotten an A to average it out with, done an all As post-bacc year, or given a village a new clean water supply. As is, with nothing to make up for it, yes you might as well trash a transcript with a D on it ESPECIALLY in a pre-req course...it's gonna be an immediate red flag in admissions.

Yea at this point im just pissed at the fact that I already did bad in it once. I should have learned from my mistakes and gotten an A this time, but wound up with a C instead. I know this is going to really f*** me in the application cycle, but I am wondering:

To what level will this screw me over? Will they automatically toss my app into the trash?

You are correct there sir I haven't filled out the AMCAS in so long that I forgot about the non-grade replacement (plus I didn't have that problem)...so he's even more screwed than I thought.

And yeah you have something by some dude online who says that one person he knows with an F goes to HMS (I have no idea where you dug that one up from). However, the people I know who had Ds were basically told by our pre-med office (which is a very good one) not to apply and bring those grades up with a post-bacc year. In fact, that might be what those people who had crappy grades did that that guy was talking about in your quote. If you're trying to roll in with Ds on your transcript, you better have either gotten an A to average it out with, done an all As post-bacc year, or given a village a new clean water supply. As is, with nothing to make up for it, yes you might as well trash a transcript with a D on it ESPECIALLY in a pre-req course...it's gonna be an immediate red flag in admissions.
The quote is from a well-known user here that attends HMS, but that's beside the point. I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb and wager that no one in your school's "very good" pre-med office has ever attended medical school, gone through the application process, or sat on a medical school admissions committee. The idea that a single grade on your application, even an F, will automatically disqualify you from being considered is ludicrous.

However, the fact that (from what I've heard) many medical schools will require a grade of C or better in prerequisite courses means that SouthParkMD will need to retake Physics I again, and get an A, for it to fulfill that requirement.

OP, even though you can't retake Physics I again for a grade replacement at your institution, can you retake it anyway? As in, your institutional GPA won't reflect the second retake, but the grade will be on your transcript regardless. I would hope this would be possible.

Yea at this point im just pissed at the fact that I already did bad in it once. I should have learned from my mistakes and gotten an A this time, but wound up with a C instead. I know this is going to really f*** me in the application cycle, but I am wondering:

To what level will this screw me over? Will they automatically toss my app into the trash?

If you can get an A in physics II, it won't be a deal breaker. But you really really really gotta get that A. Like, you should get Physics II for Dummies or something and spend all summer learning it backwards and forwards before you take the class.

I took grad-level quantum chemistry in my postbac and it was like resurrecting every single demon that wrecked my undergrad GPA: physics, differential equations, linear algebra, the works. (I am NOT a math person. I'm not going to ask why you did poorly in physics because I had C's in I and II, and they were not high C's either.)

It more or less consumed my life, but this was my last chance to prove that I was better at that stuff than my C's in physics would otherwise suggest. And so I bought calculus for dummies, I found more accessible alternate textbooks for certain topics, I did every single problem in the chapters we covered (and those from an older edition of the book as well) and used the solutions manual when I couldn't figure them out, I met with the professor when all that wasn't enough, and I cried when I saw that A. I'm actually getting a little watery-eyed just thinking about that moment. :oops: Basically I learned what it's like to be that OCD premed, a little late maybe, but it was the first time I ever went into a class knowing that:

a) I had no background in a rather advanced subject and my grades in the closest-related coursework were in the bad-worse range
b) my friend, who is brilliant and now works at the CDC, had to retake the class twice to pass
c) my grade would make or break my med school app

So, yeah, sleep and friends could wait until Christmas. The effort was worth it.

Not gonna talk about the MCAT, that's a long ways away and you may just learn this stuff slowly. And I'm not gonna talk about Harvard one way or the other, but who cares, point is you can still be a med student. You can start by studying like one. :D

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb and wager that no one in your school's "very good" pre-med office has ever attended medical school, gone through the application process, or sat on a medical school admissions committee. The idea that a single grade on your application, even an F, will automatically disqualify you from being considered is ludicrous.

Are you serious man? I was trying to be cool with this but you're obviously a douche. You are...let's hear it again...a FRESHMAN. Whatever "non-experience" my pre-med office has vastly outweighs your actual non-experience with anything concerning medical school applications at ALL. Btw I think its pretty funny you're reading the HMS thread when you're a freshman...come back in a couple years and the info might be more useful.

Again, there are situations in which this will not kill you. One of them may be if you got As in everything else and ran train on the MCAT. However, people who get Ds in classes usually don't enjoy this luxury. The reason they're getting a D is because they're struggling with the material. More likely than not, they don't have a perfect GPA besides that D. I don't know in this case and you probably won't be able to find out by surveying your friends because nobody wants to admit to getting a D. However, I tutored chem and o-chem and guess who was coming in for tutoring...kids with Cs and Ds. Guess how perfect their GPAs were? Yeah not stellar. If you look at another thread the OP started his GPA isn't stellar either.

So yes, if you were some perfect A student with a 37 MCAT who happened to get a D in one class then no, the situation wouldn't look horrible (although they would likely bring up the discrepancy in interviews). The more realistic case is that most someone who gets a D in a class is getting low Bs maybe Cs in a few other classes too. This wouldn't break their application alone but the middling GPA combined with a D, which will destroy your mediocre GPA and emphasize that you cannot handle the material at all, will break it. In case you haven't noticed, Ds are a cutoff for acceptable grades for a reason. Here's some advice from someone who IS on a admissions committee, not a random dude at HMS

Next we look at how you did is some major weed-out courses. O-chem and physics are two biggies. Even if you have an OK MCAT (which you don't know yet) and an OK gpa, if you did piss poor on those courses that everyone takes and that break many pre-meds, that is going to hurt you.

By piss-poor, in this situation she was talking about a C.

This situation especially looks very bad. People are gonna be wondering why the hell he had to take physics three times at the same school. So don't do it, especially combined with your other GPA problems. I really don't even know why you started this thread OP, you already know you're gonna have to take a post-bacc...start focusing on doing better in school and getting into a masters program.

Let's not make quite so many judgments.

It's one thing to say that physics is a weed-out class for premeds. It's another thing to take physics at a top engineering school where it's the weed-out class for engineers and 30% of them fail and the school removes any instructor who passes too many people, and then have your physics grade compared to that of someone who went to Kegger State.

I have no idea if this is the OP's situation but it is really irksome to imply that the only reason anyone could ever get a C in physics is that they are stupid and can't handle the material.

Let's not make quite so many judgments.

It's one thing to say that physics is a weed-out class for premeds. It's another thing to take physics at a top engineering school where it's the weed-out class for engineers and 30% of them fail and the school removes any instructor who passes too many people, and then have your physics grade compared to that of someone who went to Kegger State.

I have no idea if this is the OP's situation but it is really irksome to imply that the only reason anyone could ever get a C in physics is that they are stupid and can't handle the material.

But I thought my 3.8 at Kegger State was the same as a 3.8 at MIT :confused:

I got a C in Gen Chem 2, C+ in Physics 1, C+ in Calculus 2 and graduated with a little less than a 3.0 science/math GPA. I did a post-bacc program and smoked the MCAT, but am now in a top 20 med school and doing very well. It's possible, just stick with it and really focus...

Are you serious man? I was trying to be cool with this but you're obviously a douche. You are...let's hear it again...a FRESHMAN. Whatever "non-experience" my pre-med office has vastly outweighs your actual non-experience with anything concerning medical school applications at ALL. Btw I think its pretty funny you're reading the HMS thread when you're a freshman...come back in a couple years and the info might be more useful.
Oh look, more personal attacks.

Again, there are situations in which this will not kill you.
This seems to contradict your ultimatum earlier:
with a D you might as well toss your app in the trash.
and
the people I know who had Ds were basically told by our pre-med office (which is a very good one) not to apply and bring those grades up with a post-bacc year.
But you're missing the point, the only thing I ever said about the OP was that he would need to retake physics again, which still seems like a better option, assuming he does well in Physics II, than a post-bacc. However, I wasn't aware that:
One of them may be if you got As in everything else and ran train on the MCAT. However, people who get Ds in classes usually don't enjoy this luxury. The reason they're getting a D is because they're struggling with the material. More likely than not, they don't have a perfect GPA besides that D. I don't know in this case and you probably won't be able to find out by surveying your friends because nobody wants to admit to getting a D. However, I tutored chem and o-chem and guess who was coming in for tutoring...kids with Cs and Ds. Guess how perfect their GPAs were? Yeah not stellar. If you look at another thread the OP started his GPA isn't stellar either.
But again, I wasn't talking about the OP's situation. I was refuting your statement that a D is a complete death sentence (which you later qualified to "until remedied by a post-bacc) which I still believe to be false. I don't know why you lashed out at me like you did in this post, but regardless you didn't respond to what I said.
So yes, if you were some perfect A student with a 37 MCAT who happened to get a D in one class then no, the situation wouldn't look horrible (although they would likely bring up the discrepancy in interviews). The more realistic case is that most someone who gets a D in a class is getting low Bs maybe Cs in a few other classes too. This wouldn't break their application alone but the middling GPA combined with a D, which will destroy your mediocre GPA and emphasize that you cannot handle the material at all, will break it. In case you haven't noticed, Ds are a cutoff for acceptable grades for a reason. Here's some advice from someone who IS on a admissions committee, not a random dude at HMS

By piss-poor, in this situation she was talking about a C.

This situation especially looks very bad. People are gonna be wondering why the hell he had to take physics three times at the same school. So don't do it, especially combined with your other GPA problems. I really don't even know why you started this thread OP, you already know you're gonna have to take a post-bacc...start focusing on doing better in school and getting into a masters program.
Here, you seem to be implying that universally advising any student with a D to forgo application would be incorrect, yet according to what you said, you support your school's pre-med office in doing so. Again, I wasn't talking about the OP's situation, but note that LizzyM stated that poor performance in orgo/physics would "hurt" the applicant, not eliminate them.

Don't know if anyone else said this, but definitely ace the PS section of the MCAT (unless you've already taken it and aren't planning to retake). That worked for me...

Don't know if anyone else said this, but definitely ace the PS section of the MCAT (unless you've already taken it and aren't planning to retake). That worked for me...

Great advice! I think this should help offset those scores

Have not read all of the answers, but just ace Physics 2. I think you'll be fine.

Have not read all of the answers, but just ace Physics 2. I think you'll be fine.

Im a junior, I took physics 2 (easy physics - not calc based) already and got a B :(.

blah blah blah blah.

you have 1600 posts and are a freshman in college?

the best possible thing you could do for your application, and life, is to delete your account and not come back until a senior. i'm dead serious.

you are obviously well read. you know a lot of details easily found on the internet and this forum. that does not make you an expert in anything.

also, stop detailing your life in MDapplicants. not because i care or don't care, but because it shares way, way too much information on the internet. which you should not do.

i understand the pre-med mentality, and there is a lot of it in this thread (as there is in all grade threads), but you all need to calm down. a lot. :cool:

the best possible thing you could do for your application, and life, is to delete your account and not come back until a senior. i'm dead serious.

Seriously I don't even think I knew what AMCAS was until I was a junior...much less knowing enough detail to know about the grade replacement rule.

The end result of this thread is that the OP is going to have to do an SMP at the least. All the other people saying that he just needs to ace Physics II need to take a look at his other thread where he says he has a 2.8 cumulative or something like that.

Seriously I don't even think I knew what AMCAS was until I was a junior...much less knowing enough detail to know about the grade replacement rule.

The end result of this thread is that the OP is going to have to do an SMP at the least. All the other people saying that he just needs to ace Physics II need to take a look at his other thread where he says he has a 2.8 cumulative or something like that.

Yea well what would be the best course of action for my situation? SMP or post-bac (both in terms of money and what would increase my chances)?

you are obviously well read. you know a lot of details easily found on the internet and this forum. that does not make you an expert in anything.

also, stop detailing your life in MDapplicants. not because i care or don't care, but because it shares way, way too much information on the internet. which you should not do.

i understand the pre-med mentality, and there is a lot of it in this thread (as there is in all grade threads), but you all need to calm down. a lot. :cool:
I appreciate the advice, but I promise I have a life (you'll just have to trust me) outside of SDN, and I enjoy my time here. I don't think I'm sharing anything too specific on my MDApps profile, but if there's something that sticks out as especially revealing I'd appreciate someone pointing it out. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, I've simply been expressing my perspective on the situation based on what I've learned so far. In no way am I telling the OP to take my advice lest he throw his life away.

In light of the OP's current cGPA, (which I was unaware of until you mentioned it in your previous post) I agree that he will almost certainly need to do an SMP to have a shot at an allopathic admission. I apologize for angering you in any way in this thread; I was merely disagreeing with your statement about a D being a death sentence (as of that posting you had not qualified it with exceptions) no matter what.

Again I appreciate the concern from both of you, and I recognize that you're farther along in this whole process than a lowly freshman :rolleyes: but I do intend to stick around SDN. And seriously any advice on maintaining anonymity with MDApps is appreciated, as I'm sure it would be by anyone else here. I feel like my information is vague enough that it could apply to any number of thousands of people, especially given no one I'm aware of knows where I'm from, etc...

Yea well what would be the best course of action for my situation? SMP or post-bac (both in terms of money and what would increase my chances)?

What is your GPA? If you don't have a significant amount of sciences under your belt, I'd say do some grade repair in a post-bac since it would raise your sGPA significantly. Unfortunately cGPA is hard to raise after 4 years worth of classes. If you have a low GPA and plenty of sciences then an SMP would be worth it, especially if you have (will have) a solid MCAT. This would be more expensive though, and leaves little room for error as far as SMP grades go. I'm looking into it due to my lower GPA, but some seem to think you need exceptional grades (3.8+) in the med classes as opposed to "good" grades (3.5+). Since it's all based off of your position in the class, a 3.5 is actually quite good (means you're beating out most actual med students), but word is mixed as to whether "good" is good enough. Seems kind of rough to me, especially if 2 or 3 semesters of grade repair in post-bac can get your GPA up +0.2/0.3.

Gettheleadout: your level of anonymity on MDapps is up to you. Many people like to keep as much as possible, and often this is a good idea. I try to do this, but also have as much info as possible for people that might end up with a similar looking app. That way it can help them out hopefully. It's a delicate balance. I agree with you btw, one bad grade will never trash someone's app.

I just got my grades today, and I somehow ended up with a B in physics :confused:

I know its not great, but it is better than a C.

@Vandy: My GPA as of this semester is a 2.663. FML. Im a junior and have taken plenty of science classes, but there are post bac programs geared towards people who need a GPA boost, so idk what would be better in terms of admission, SMP or post-bac?

I opened this up and and expected to give you a litttle encouragement given the fact that you're a multiple felon who's been to prison.

^^^^ This kind of situation is actual deep doodoo when applying to med school.

A few bad grades is definitely *NOT* "deep doodoo" Your options are wide open right now... you're a junior? Really? I didn't realize schools forced anyone to graduate in any set amount of time. Improve your GPA if you want.

I opened this up and and expected to give you a litttle encouragement given the fact that you're a multiple felon who's been to prison.

^^^^ This kind of situation is actual deep doodoo when applying to med school.

A few bad grades is definitely *NOT* "deep doodoo" Your options are wide open right now... you're a junior? Really? I didn't realize schools forced anyone to graduate in any set amount of time. Improve your GPA if you want.

You never know…..I could be…..:ninja:

I just got my grades today, and I somehow ended up with a B in physics :confused:

I know its not great, but it is better than a C.

@Vandy: My GPA as of this semester is a 2.663. FML. Im a junior and have taken plenty of science classes, but there are post bac programs geared towards people who need a GPA boost, so idk what would be better in terms of admission, SMP or post-bac?

Hey I'd be happy with a B in physics this semester :laugh:. Yea it sounds like a tough situation, I'm sorry. I would do a post-bac to get as close to a 3.0 as possible, and study hardcore for the MCAT. For allopathic you will probably have to do an SMP, even if you get it to a 3.0. The AAMC MCAT-GPA chart gives you a 26% chance with a 2.8-2.99/30-32, 27% with 33-35, and 54% with 39-45. I would think that many of those people accepted out of those numbers did a post-bac/SMP.

My physics scores:
1st quarter- W
1st quarter again- B
2nd quarter- C+
3rd quarter- A

CA medical school= accepted!

(For what it's worth I have a good overall GPA everywhere else I just didn't do too hot on physics. I hated physics but managed a 10 on the MCAT PS anyways after lots of studying)

Edit already as I quickly browsed thread: I guess your GPA is low but maybe this helps somebody else in this "I have to get all A's" network.