in defense of kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theedaddy77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
kaplan gets way too much heat. It is a great source to start with that allows most people to hit the 20 mark. also the online questions, at least for the ochem and chem are very nice and tricky to make sure u know whats up.. pat sucks though and bio u always needs more than one source.

Members don't see this ad.

kaplan gets way too much heat. It is a great source to start with that allows most people to hit the 20 mark. also the online questions, at least for the ochem and chem are very nice and tricky to make sure u know whats up.. pat sucks though and bio u always needs more than one source.

iam with you, kaplan is pretty good specially their new online resources...iam currently taking the class and found that if you started studying before and know things well...their job is to pretty much nail everything in your head and make sure you know the basics...after that its your job to study. Except i would like to mention that they suck for bio buuut everything else pretty good

Kaplan is a great resource if you use it to its fullest: classroom, complete all assigned readings, work through the online material and take all assigned tests. I think kaplan does its job and as many have said at least gets studying kicked off and your brain working toward understanding the basics.

im sorry but disagree....kaplan is a scam and that's all it is....sure it helps u with orgo and chem but thats not even half of the test.....they suck miserably at biology, PAT, qr, and reading....their roadmap thing is worthless considering the fact u got a laminated paper and sharpy which kinds makes it more difficult to do a roadmap on the real exam....even if u do need other sources for biology their practice test and subj test ONLY test u on the bio stuff from THEIR books which gave me a false sense last time i took it that i was doing really well.

im sorry but disagree....kaplan is a scam and that's all it is....sure it helps u with orgo and chem but thats not even half of the test.....they suck miserably at biology, PAT, qr, and reading....their roadmap thing is worthless considering the fact u got a laminated paper and sharpy which kinds makes it more difficult to do a roadmap on the real exam....even if u do need other sources for biology their practice test and subj test ONLY test u on the bio stuff from THEIR books which gave me a false sense last time i took it that i was doing really well.

I'm really gonna have to diagree. I actually teach a Kaplan course, and sure I may be "biased" but I wish I would have taken the course. Sure, ppl aren't going to score 22+with Kaplan alone. It would be almost impossible, because the difference between 21>22>23>24 etc... may just be like 2-4 questions. BUT, Kaplan is a great source to get started with and the online resources are ENORMOUS. If you really read the review book, do all your online stuff, and come to class, YOU WILL benefit.

Hindsight is 20:20, so you could always say "I would have done that anyways" or "I would have known that", but I know lots of things that Kaplan teaches that are truly insightful.

Also, the "roadmapping" that they say to use WILL work, but you have to have the right instruction with it. I get the feeling some instructors are too "by the book" and tell you to write down too many things on the map, or even the wrong things, but if you do it correctly (which is VERY CONCISE and in your own words) the roadmap can help!

Again, Kaplan isn't for everyone, but for many, it is a great learning tool that teaches things you can take with you for the rest of your life.