In desperate need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watchmenaenae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have about 25 days left to my exam and I haven't taken any NBME yet. I haven't touched anatomy/embryology yet. And I have to repeat micro and biochem. Still have about 500 uworld questions but I don't do them random those 500 are all micro and anatomy and few from other topics. How well is my progress? Am I in a bad situation? Any suggestions to study anatomy/neuroanatomy/embryology in a fast rapid sufficient review? Or should I postpone my exam and do the rest? Any reply is appropriated. Thanks guys.
I'm an IMG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ok 25 days is almost one month….how many times have your covered FA? also try to to do micro questions quickly while doing your FA micro since u said you have to repeat it. then you an try to do a review of biochem FA maybe 2 hrs every night since u said you will need to repeat it. this should take you maybe 3 to 4 days then quickly take an nbme. you want to take an NBME asap so you know where you stand. the reason i am saying u quickly do micro again before NBME because nbmes always have a lot of micro. and i don't want u to feel defeated if your score isn't high enough because of micro.

or u can just take an nbme now to see what you need to work on. i am an IMG too and my exam is also close by. but after this name try to use another 1 week to work on your weakness and take another one in a week. its your NMBE that will let you know if you need to postpone.

I have done FA 5 times and familiar with most of the topics but I haven't read anatomy from FA or any other source. Micro and biochem I still have to do them for another time especially micro since I haven't done the questions in Uworld maybe they're over 200 questions on micro. It takes me a lot of time to do a block with all the explanation takes 3-4 hours since I read and write everything for a later review. But I have no idea where I stand in general overall. I know I still have to read all of anatomy and redo micro and biochem and I don't know if I have the time to do that. I'm really stressing out about it.

Last edited:
wow if you have done FA five times then you can go ahead and do an NBME quickly. i have done FA five times too and i took an name a while ago and got a 200 on NBME 15 after reading FA 3 times at that point. but now i am on my fifth read of FA at eh moment and redoing my 2nd round of UW questions. it took me a while to go through UW the first time too because i was writing notes. this second time redoing UW has taken me about 3wks or a little over. i try to do few pages of micro every night or every other night on FA just to keep micro a little fresh in my memory because i forget things easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will take an NBME next week after repeating micro and biochem for the last time. Though after that I will have to do anatomy from scratch. And I wish you good luck with everything :*

Take an NBME NOW

It is the only way you can estimate your score. Even if you do poorly the first time, you will know your weaknesses if you buy the extra report, and you can study those. If you take it now and your performance on anatomy is through the roof but micro is lacking, it will dictate your study approach during this crucial time.

If your NBME 1 week away from STEP is far below a passing score, defer.

If I'll do an NBME now I might not get a good mark and I don't wanna get depressed at the moment I need to study hard specially this week.

I am not usually tough on people, but would you rather feel depressed now when you get a poor NBME back or when you get your Step results back?

Putting off an NBME because you are scared of the score will be detrimental. NBME scores are the only way you can gauge where your real Step score may be and what your weaknesses are.

It is ultimately your decision, but I urge you to take either NBME 15, 16, or 17 NOW, find out your weaknesses, and focus on those first.

Reactions: 2 users
Im really stressed but I'll take an NBME tomorrow for the first time and I'll let you guys know what's gonna happen and I'm really freaking out about the remaining 3 weeks of studying. Wish me luck.

Edit: and I can't really tell my uworld average because I do them subject wise cuz I'm trying to use uworld as a learning tool. But most of the time I'm in the 70s average.

Reactions: 1 users
Since you asked about embryo, I thought I'd mention that I had 5 questions on embryo in my exam and all straight out of FA.

Yeah I think I'll have time only for FA and uworld if I'll do anatomy. Hope it would be sufficient at least partially.

Take an NBME practically each weekend (skipping the day of your exam).

Anything in FA Anatomy and uWorld is more than enough, just don't confuse your lower limb nerves and arteries like I did on test day.