in desperate need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slazar4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be as brief as possible.

ME:
Senior majoring in PR, minoring in biology (for now)
Expected uGPA: 3.3-3.45
Expected sciGPA: 3.6=3.8
Average ECs
VERY good LORs
Not that it really matters but Dempartmental honors in PR

First off, I'm sure I'm going to have to do some extra school somewhere to drag my piss-poor GPA up (because freshman year is for partying right?).
Here are my options, please let me know which sounds best for a realistic shot at US med schools (preferably allo).

1) Get my bio minor (biology 101-104 and chem 101+102) and get my orgo, math and physics requirements done at my state school (5 classes total). Bear in mind one can't take orgo (or physics) I and II concurrently so it would have to be over the course of a year. Apply

2)Drop the departmental honors and pick up phys I and II for senior year and go back to state and get orgo and math. Apply

3) Drop my senior year biology and chem courses (16 credit hours) and apply to postbac as a student with "little or no science background". Do postbac. Apply.

I would REALLY appreciate some suggestions and if neither of these three plans sound good PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be as brief as possible.

ME:
Senior majoring in PR, minoring in biology (for now)
Expected uGPA: 3.3-3.45
Expected sciGPA: 3.6=3.8
Average ECs
VERY good LORs
Not that it really matters but Dempartmental honors in PR

PR as in public relations?

Your "VERY good LORs" -- who will be writing them (in what capacity?). It does make a difference...

Yes, public relations.

My LORs will come from docs (including the department chair) in the cardiothoracic surgery department of a large, teaching hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been shadowing them over the last two years (about 300 hours) and plan on continuing to do so over the next year.

Yes, public relations.

My LORs will come from docs (including the department chair) in the cardiothoracic surgery department of a large, teaching hospital.

Piece of advice: Do get LORs from people who know you in an academic capacity. While your shadowing gets you some exposure, med school admins want to hear that you can handle the work load. Say, if you can submit 3 LORs, 2 should be academic (from professors who formally *taught* you), one from shadowing or research. If you just shadowed a person, they can't really convincingly speak to your academic capacities and performance, especially compared to other students in your peer-group (of pre-meds). The "shadowing" LORs can basically only say that you are nice, punctual, attentive, culturally aware, ... that's the stuff they would want to check out at your interview. :D
As a "non-science" major, the LOR from your science professor should basically say "I am so sorry that I could not convince him to major in *my* field, he is the brightest and most inquisitive student I taught in X years. You will have a great pleasure having Slazar4 at your med school."

Best of luck!

Last edited:
You need recommendations from science. They're even a requirement for alot of schools, unless you have a committee letter.

Unless you stand out for some reason, academic recommendations are boring. Mine just said what grades I earned compared to the class distribution, a few words on their impression of me, and that they recommend me highly for medical school.

But to be honest, that's what med schools are mostly looking for. Alot of them just want a committee letter for that reason, which I heard will just put you to sleep if you actually try reading it and is mostly for ranking premed candidates at the school.

I don't know about using more than one letter from your shadowing, should ask around about that. Unless you went above and beyond shadowing, I don't see how much more than one letter can help you. And if you did go above and beyond, I'm not sure it'll be reflected on the LOR, might be embarassing to the hospital and the doctor supervising you if you're not supposed to for liability purposes.

If you're wondering how I read my letters, I asked them if they could write a recommendation that I can bring with me to med school in case I need them for something. All three professors just gave me the letters they sent last fall.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't ever considered that aspect of the process, one more thing right? :)

Anyway I really do appreciate that counsel but I was hoping someone could comment on my primary inquiry.

Thanks again!