Other OT-Related Information In desperate need of tuition advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaB.OT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
For the past week I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how can I get out of this situation. In less than 3 weeks I am suppose to start a 3 year bs/ms ot program at TJU. The reason I say suppose to is because I am at a standstill trying to figure out alternative ways to pay for it. I am independent student and I am 15k short after 2 scholarships and grants and fed loans. I thought I could easily get approved for a private student loan, however my credit history is bad. So I thought if I tried with a co signer it might help but both my parents weren't approved because of their credit history. And I don't qualify for grad plus loans because the first 2 years of my program focuses on the undergrad portion. I am stumped and lost for words because we all know how stressful this whole process is and how hard you have to work to get to this point. So now I am hoping that if I could find someone in my family would excellent credit that maybe I could get approved.

I need further advise on what I else I can possibly do....
Are there any known ot scholarships, grants, loans that are available?
How about are there any banks that you guys know of that might be willing to loan to someone with bad credit and a great credit co signer.
I already been denied 3 times from 3 different banks and can't help but feel discouraged. But I refuse to give up!! I didn't come all this way not to go. This is a great passion of mines that I truly believe is my destiny.
Thanks in advance for any advice....and God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest calling the financial aid office at your school and discussing with them. Perhaps there is a work study or paid research position you might qualify for? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your Admissions director, the the chair of your department, and the director of student affairs ASAP. I've heard instances where the college just waived the amount, cut tuition in half, offered housing in their own home(true story!), offered food assistance from their own pockets. Grad schools WANT you there, just explain your situation and tell them how much you LOVE their program, but it's just a money issue standing in your way. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a resident of the state you are attending school in, have you looked into state-specific grants that you might be able to qualify for? For example, Virginia (where I am) has a very small annual grant for graduate students in health professions called the VTAG, which is available through the state department of higher education, and everyone who applies for it, gets it. It's not much, but if you're in need of anything you can get, I'd look at your state's higher ed department and see if there are similar things available.

Reactions: 1 user