In doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yudid

WorkS HarD, PlayS HarD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As many of you i am a pre med and i thought of myself like that since 7th grade. Here is my little background: i am in my twenties, major in biochemistry, volunteer at the hospital (in general have bunch of different activities), and work. Almost done with all pre reqs thus, almost ready to take an mcat.

Everything would be great but the last weekend when i was volunteering at the hospital i felt that i don't want to be in there anymore, see people that are in pain or busy nurses, hear patient's whines, and be around doctors that dont smile and do not even look happy.

Since that time i am in doubts about medicine and becoming a doctor. I am not sure that i want to spend my best years in school, graduate with big loans, and most of all i am not sure if i want to be around people that are sick and in pain. How i am going to be happy if i will see on the daily basis kids that are going to die or serious ill; work and try to prolong the life of old people and hear their anger?

Also, I dont want to go to school for so many years and afterwards to pay big income tax to the government, and to buy a very expensive malpractice insurance. I am just not sure if i want to have a future like that. I think until it is too late i need to spend more time with my family, help to parents and brother and simply sometimes cook at home.

I aways was a full time student and every year take summer classes. Am i just burnt out and thats why have these kinds of thoughts? Is medicine really for me or should i change my mind? Have you been in the same situation?

Please advice or critique.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I advise you to think for yourself.

As my doctor says: "Where else would you graduate and find a job guaranteed at $150k/year? Even my brother in law who's a lawyer doesn't make as much as me."

He's also fond of saying: "Worst patient EVER!"

If you think about it, people will remember you for your love. Whatever else you do in life is for yourself. If it doesn't make you happy, don't do it. However, anticipate regret if you do things impulsively.

Tired of pre-med? Take a vacation! Finish up junior year, take a vacation, then finish senior year and apply. That way you appear to keep busy while applying.

Hi everyone,

As many of you i am a pre med and i thought of myself like that since 7th grade. Here is my little background: i am in my twenties, major in biochemistry, volunteer at the hospital (in general have bunch of different activities), and work. Almost done with all pre reqs thus, almost ready to take an mcat.

Everything would be great but the last weekend when i was volunteering at the hospital i felt that i don't want to be in there anymore, see people that are in pain or busy nurses, hear patient's whines, and be around doctors that dont smile and do not even look happy.

Since that time i am in doubts about medicine and becoming a doctor. I am not sure that i want to spend my best years in school, graduate with big loans, and most of all i am not sure if i want to be around people that are sick and in pain. How i am going to be happy if i will see on the daily basis kids that are going to die or serious ill; work and try to prolong the life of old people and hear their anger?

Also, I dont want to go to school for so many years and afterwards to pay big income tax to the government, and to buy a very expensive malpractice insurance. I am just not sure if i want to have a future like that. I think until it is too late i need to spend more time with my family, help to parents and brother and simply sometimes cook at home.

I aways was a full time student and every year take summer classes. Am i just burnt out and thats why have these kinds of thoughts? Is medicine really for me or should i change my mind? Have you been in the same situation?

Thank you

You will not escape.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's any consolation, I know a few people in residency who have at times felt similar; IMO you are feeling "burn out," but only you truly know if that's what it is.

What are your alternatives? Can you see yourself being satisfied in another profession? If the answer is no, and you can't see yourself anywhere profession-wise, I'd say it probably is burn out related.

Give it a few days...

Although you are going to be around sick people during clinical years of medical school training, you could duck into one of the medical specialties where 1) almost no one dies, 2) very few people are very seriously ill, 3) very few people are very elderly, 4) law suits are rare (and thus malpractice insurance is relatively low).

A few ideas:
general pediatrics
dermatology
radiology
physical medicine and rehabilitation
occupational medicine

With the exception of derm and rads, these specialties don't pay as much as some of the others which also takes care of your desire to avoid paying a lot in income taxes. :smuggrin:

Hi everyone,

Since that time i am in doubts about medicine and becoming a doctor. I am not sure that i want to spend my best years in school, graduate with big loans, and most of all i am not sure if i want to be around people that are sick and in pain.How i am going to be happy if i will see on the daily basis kids that are going to die or serious ill; work and try to prolong the life of old people and hear their anger?

Thank you

You're too idealistic. Yes, you have to enjoy what you do, but every job has its ups and downs. People are unhappy in all sorts of jobs, and they look like they're in pain even though they may not be in the hospital. Unless you don't want to earn an income, you will always have to pay taxes. It's unavoidable...like death.

I suggest you dig around for what you would like to do and speak to and shadow someone who does it. That should help.

Questions to ask yourself...

1) Why do you want to be a doctor?

2) What else could you see yourself doing?

3) Is there a specialty that could give you "the best of both worlds"?

I went through a similar phase where I questioned if I really wanted to do medicine. (Mainly because I doubted my ability to succeed.) I switched my major for awhile and found myself absolutely miserable after two quarters. Needless to say, I was right the first time and can't see myself doing anything else.

In the end, you'll figure it out, even if you have to do what I did to realize what you really want. Best of luck. :)

The decision to become a doctor should be a personal one. Yes, you have seen the dark side of medicine -- dying children, people in pain, big loans, unhappy doctors, high taxes, etc. If after seeing all of that, and balancing that with the good you can do as a doctor, you still want to become a doctor, then go for it. Many premeds do not yet know what they are getting themselves into. At least now you can make an informed decision. Best of luck!

To the OP: "Resistance is futile." -- Locutus of Borg.

When in doubt, GTFO! :zip:

Go take a break, keep doing the same thing over and over causes you doubting or worse, burn out.

At least, I'm sure you like science, wrose you can end up is biochemist. Not bad. I have the same major as you, and everytime when I'm doubting this or that I always know I'm into science. Therefore, if I don't make it to Med school, I'm fine with that! I'll try my best, of course. My backup is getting a doctor degree in biochem if I don't make it to Med school after serveral try. Doctor in Biochem earns 80k/yr...average...how is this bad?? With experience, it makes things even easier, 100k+/yr is reasonable. ( Speak in California, idk salaries outside of cali.) Good luck tho.

Have you ever had another job, where you had to work 8-5, every day? Were your co-workers happy all the time? Why do you think your 20's are the best years of your life?

Have you ever had another job, where you had to work 8-5, every day? Were your co-workers happy all the time? Why do you think your 20's are the best years of your life?

Because is a "she"? lol:D men careless about age, marry at age 30 seems ok to men. just guess.

I appreciate all of your replays. Now i know where i stand and what i need to do.