In general, what's like being an Intern? + Making the switch from being a Technician to Intern at Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CocoxLoco

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working as a technician at Walgreens and will be beginning Pharmacy school this Fall. I had a few questions.
-What is the transition like? / How greatly did your duties change?

-I am worried I won't genuinely know anything the first few months after starting school and with little information, counseling patients is going to be difficult.
---When did you feel like you knew what you were talking about?

-Were you able to stay at your current store, or were you transferred to another Walgreens? I'd like to see what I can do to stay at my store if possible. I really like the store I am at, but I know they already have two interns, and two techs (including me) who will be starting pharmacy school soon. I understand why it would it could be hard for me to stay at the same store, but I really like my coworkers- so I'd be sad to go. They're the reason I don't completely dread retail.

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

While I wasn't a tech before I became an intern, I did pick up an intern position with Publix almost immediately after pharmacy school started and stayed at the same pharmacy throughout school. I'm breaking down your questions below.

What is the transition like? / How greatly did your duties change?

Your job duties as an intern are HEAVILY-dependent (IMO) on what year in school you are in. If you're a first-year student with little/no pharmaceutical knowledge, you're basically a glorified tech who can do transfers, take rxs over the phone, and maybe some counseling on whatever medication classes you went over during school. A fourth-year/grad intern can do everything above in addition to greatly increased medication counseling breadth, immunizations, and MTM/CMRs.

I am worried I won't genuinely know anything the first few months after starting school and with little information, counseling patients is going to be difficult. When did you feel like you knew what you were talking about?

Stop worrying because you honestly will know squat about drugs for the first few months. At the start, you won't be expected to know pharmaceutics in great detail and any normal pharmacist will be standing beside you or at least be within earshot of the conversation to make sure that what you're saying is correct.

Were you able to stay at your current store, or were you transferred to another Walgreens? I'd like to see what I can do to stay at my store if possible. I really like the store I am at, but I know they already have two interns, and two techs (including me) who will be starting pharmacy school soon. I understand why it would it could be hard for me to stay at the same store, but I really like my coworkers- so I'd be sad to go. They're the reason I don't completely dread retail.

I stayed at my current store as an intern since there were no other interns there. While it is nice to be working at one pharmacy, especially when you like your co-workers, I'd recommend working at other pharmacies as well. You'll see differences in management technique between pharmacists and you'll have a better idea on what works in the pharmacies and what doesn't. The knowledge of a first-hand account of just how bad retail can get with crap management (if you haven't experienced that already) can be just as useful as knowing how good it can be with a stellar team.

Reactions: 1 user
While I wasn't a tech before I became an intern, I did pick up an intern position with Publix almost immediately after pharmacy school started and stayed at the same pharmacy throughout school. I'm breaking down your questions below.

Your job duties as an intern are HEAVILY-dependent (IMO) on what year in school you are in. If you're a first-year student with little/no pharmaceutical knowledge, you're basically a glorified tech who can do transfers, take rxs over the phone, and maybe some counseling on whatever medication classes you went over during school. A fourth-year/grad intern can do everything above in addition to greatly increased medication counseling breadth, immunizations, and MTM/CMRs.

Stop worrying because you honestly will know squat about drugs for the first few months. At the start, you won't be expected to know pharmaceutics in great detail and any normal pharmacist will be standing beside you or at least be within earshot of the conversation to make sure that what you're saying is correct.

I stayed at my current store as an intern since there were no other interns there. While it is nice to be working at one pharmacy, especially when you like your co-workers, I'd recommend working at other pharmacies as well. You'll see differences in management technique between pharmacists and you'll have a better idea on what works in the pharmacies and what doesn't. The knowledge of a first-hand account of just how bad retail can get with crap management (if you haven't experienced that already) can be just as useful as knowing how good it can be with a stellar team.

Thank you so much. Your insight is super helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
On a legality standpoint, some states don't actually give you intern privileges during your first year of pharmacy school (despite having the intern license in hand) such as the state I am in. Even with that, you're not going to be expected to counsel on your first day as an intern while starting out fresh in pharmacy school (unless perhaps its a fast-mover OTC product but even then not necessarily). As mentioned, you'll be a glorified technician for awhile until the knowledge base in school is a bit more broad. If you know the computer/insurance side of Wags you may have the ability to do a transfer a bit sooner rather than those who have never worked in a pharmacy before.

I worked some years as a tech for the Department of Defense (ie military active duty) and started working as an intern last year at a retail chain. I simply maintain my duties as that of a technician only with a white coat and nametag with my school logo. Once my first year is finished after next month I'll start doing transfers / counseling as well as give vaccinations (which I did anyway in the military with a different specialty). Point is you'll be fine since you have some experience as a tech. Just stay a tech and focus on schooling. Your preceptor will know your limitations.

FYI: If your school gives the option of name-plates vs sewn names on your white coat, avoid the name-plates as I find them to be a bit of a hassle long-term.

Reactions: 1 user
It's like being a tech except you counsel, give vaccines, and take phone-ins for the pharmacist

Reactions: 1 users