In Grad School for my Masters, debating to go back for pre-reqs for Med with Hazelwood Act?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlefoot03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the 1st year of my grad school, I am currently at University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) for Masters of Health & Kinesiology (Health Promotion as specialization, non-thesis). I am currently engaged to a military veteran who would like to transfer his Texas Hazelwood Act (basically like gi bill) to me if I plan to go back to do my pre-reqs for med school if I can since I won't qualify for financial aid due to non-degree route. I am debating if I should finish my masters and go back to school to do my pre-reqs for med school or to drop out now and do my pre-reqs? I was wondering if anyone was in my situation to where they graduated from masters and did pre-reqs for med school after? Or is it too late in my path to even do it? I am currently 23 years old, by the time I finish grad school I'll be 24 or 25, then do my prereqs which may take another 1-2 years because the only pre-reqs I really completed was bio 1 with lab, chem 1, pre-cal and human anatomy & physiology. I'll be 27, which I know there a lot of students above 27 in med school, but after med school 31, then we would have kids and all that into the mix along with residencies.. But life happens. I know it is capable but I am not trying to spend a lot of money to have in debt, I already have a few subsidized and unsubsidized loans... Would anyone be willing to give some advice or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it :)!

Members don't see this ad.