in-house calls in anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLCoolK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
do most attending anesthesiologists work in jobs with in-house call? or is it mostly call from home? does it really just depend on what service you're on (i.e. OB)?

Members don't see this ad.

do most attending anesthesiologists work in jobs with in-house call? or is it mostly call from home? does it really just depend on what service you're on (i.e. OB)?

It’s a mix. All big hospitals have in house call, so do some small hospitals.

I dont know about smaller hospitals but we rotate thru a large academic hospital and a smaller community hospital and both have attending in house call everyday. The backup stays home. Theres 1 general call in house attending, and 1 OB attending daily. Then there is home call for cardiac, transplant, backup, peds attending daily. Though the anes attending in the VA took home call. I'm going to guess most take in house call unless its a really small place.

It doesn't have to be a really small place to have anestgesioogists take call from home. My last hospital (no OB, no trauma) had home call. I did moonlighting at two local hospitals (one tiny, one not) where the anesthesiologists took home call. I did locums with a hospital-employed group in a mid-size midwest city where the anesthesiologists took home call (two docs covering two hospitals a few miles apart, one of which was the trauma center, with a third as backup for the other two). In my next job (no OB, no trauma), the anesthesiologists take call from home.

Now, none of these are tertiary referral centers, doing high acuity cases all night. But with one exception, they were not small, critical access hospitals, doing only a couple of cases a day.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile