erohde23

10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Status
I have a "problem" I would love advice on - I have a few acceptances and now I want to goof off for the next 4 months 'till med school starts but I'm afraid that if the med schools find out they may take back my acceptance!!! Am I being paranoid? I heard one must maintain good standing in all areas of their life up until they matriculate to maintain their acceptance to that school.

I especially want to quit my hellhole of a job (the job that made me a strong applicant...) and my boss wont be too happy so who knows what he'll say if admissions committees call and do background checks.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Quit your job, just make sure that you keep above a 3.0 overall your last semester.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
erohde23 said:
I have a "problem" I would love advice on - I have a few acceptances and now I want to goof off for the next 4 months 'till med school starts but I'm afraid that if the med schools find out they may take back my acceptance!!! Am I being paranoid? I heard one must maintain good standing in all areas of their life up until they matriculate to maintain their acceptance to that school.

I especially want to quit my hellhole of a job (the job that made me a strong applicant...) and my boss wont be too happy so who knows what he'll say if admissions committees call and do background checks.
1. Make sure you keep your spring semester GPA above a 3.0. Any less and you may have questions.

2. Don't screw up your credit! This is a big one.

3. Don't get arrested for anything. Could be an issue.

Outside of that, have fun!

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
4. Don't cheat. If you get caught, you'll be out.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Kazema said:
4. Don't cheat. If you get caught, you'll be out.
Although at this point in his career he either doesn't cheat or #4 should be "Stop cheating"

Reimat

Friend of talking skulls
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That's awesome- I can't wait until next year this time. I'm gonna be relaxing like no ones business.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
erohde23 said:

it won't matter... just do what the other have said and give leave your job on good terms- 2 weeks notice or whatever they prefer. That way, if they do call and do background checks, they wont have anything bad to say about u.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
My friend smoked weed literally everyday and went out every night from Wed to Sun, once he found out he was accepted. He found out early, so that second semester, he was a waste of life. Smart guy though, he kept around a 3.0 and didnt get arrested or kill anyone. You could do that!

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Addicted To SDN said:
I just called the Director of Admissions at the school I am going to and he said that I can do whatever I want as long as I don't kill someone or rob a bank. Then he called me a "knucklehead." :laugh: So, I just quit my job. :D
While it's true that you don't have to do anything except keep your grades acceptable and avoid criminal behavior, I don't think I would call someone in administration at my school and say "hey Im gonna f-around untill I matriculate..just how much of an idiot can I be and still get in? I want to know because Im a huge moron and chances are if I don't know the exact limits I'll do something that warrents me losing my acceptance, by the way, I really put one over on you guys with my 'upstanding student' act didn't I?"

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Blue Scrub said:
My friend smoked weed literally everyday and went out every night from Wed to Sun, once he found out he was accepted. He found out early, so that second semester, he was a waste of life. Smart guy though, he kept around a 3.0 and didnt get arrested or kill anyone. You could do that!
That might be going a bit far, but that guy definitely had the right idea: enjoy your second semester senior year!!!!!!!!!!!! Many people I know look back on it as the best time of our lives.