In light of recent threads and as promised, the guys over at the official pharmacy forum responded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AHossain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was tired of seeing arguments over and over and just wanted to get the real deal and genuine answers from the real pharmacists and students, so I asked them myself within a thread another user here mentioned to go visit. In that thread, I promised to update you guys on the responses I get from the pharmacists and pharmacy students over at the pharmacy forum. In that thread, that impatietstudent user told us to go visit the pharmacy forum to see how bad the market was and yet there were people in his thread arguing and denying his claims. Well... I stepped up and instead of taking advice from all pre-pharm, pre-do, pre-whatever...I went straight to the actual guys in the field in the Pharmacy Forum and asked myself. I received quite a few responses from several people and even a few private messages all giving similar advice. This thread is for anyone like me, who really wants answers. Not trying to discourage or take anyone's dreams away. Well...here we go.

This was my original plea for advice and insight to the guys over at the real pharm forum.

"I saw this thread because of an user from the prepharm forum warning others about the job market. I noticed that there are some serious deniers out there who think he is trying to discourage them some way. I'm asking you guys, in all honesty please...is the job market really that bad? And why are there so many people on the prepharm sub forum who don't seem to believe it?" -Me

These are the various responses I have received from them.

1)."They are in denial. If they want to work in a small town or rural area, they are golden. If they want to work in a major city, it will be a difficult, uphill battle. This is just a fact." -WVUPharm2007 (verified and working pharmacist)

2)."On a more philosophical level it could be because the grass is always greener on the other side, or because compared to the general population pharmacy is still a good field, or possibly it is cognitive dissonance (my new favorite explanation for most lines of illogical thinking). I don't think the job market is *that* bad. But it certainly isn't the golden days anymore, that is for sure. You might have to movie for a job or you might have to overtrain for one. It sucks, but it is what it is."- owlegrad (SND STAFF member/admin/pharmacist)

3). "It's risk tolerance, and it's all relative. I'll explain.

In 2005, a degree got you a job no matter how terrible you were. By the time you graduate in ~2021, we'll have been 16 years removed from these days. That's the equivalent of telling one of our older members to compare the job market (in general, not pharmacy) in 2000 vs. 1984. It's not fair to compare, so there's some aspect of that going on because 2005 is fairly recent for me personally (as I'm > 30 years old).

On the flip side, the current reality is that to have a better than average shot at getting a decent job, you need two discrete events to occur. Event A = admission to pharmacy school, event B = matching for a residency or event C = obtaining employment early & doing well enough to jump off of that.

If you only achieve A, you're in for a lot of trouble. The problem is, you can't even start working on B or C until you sign on the dotted line, plunk down a bunch of money, and commit to 4 years.

It's like driving full speed on a half-complete bridge over water and needing to invent and fire up a jet engine before you plummet over the edge."
-confettiflyer (Pharmacy Field)

4). "Don't do it. Only a fool would spend the time, money, and effort to get a degree to enter a profession where the prospect of getting a job depends on so much more than having the degree/qualification in and of itself of being a pharmacist. Keep in mind that even if you go to pharmacy school, work/hustle during school, and manage to find a job, you are almost guaranteed to have to move to some BFE state that will force you to adapt to a lifestyle that is starkly different from what you've grown accustomed to (especially if you are from the NE). Pick literally anything else." -PAtoPharm (Pharmacy Field)

5). "It's terrible. I actually visited the thread you were talking about and there seem to be quite a few individuals who just don't want to believe it to the point where they started to attack the OP in an extreme manner. Take my word for it, they're in serious denial and seem like they hate it when someone brings up the truth. The market is not crashing, it already crashed and now new graduates are wandering state to state, holding various amounts of state licenses to find a job. The saturation is real and the market is finished. The very students you saw arguing against the facts are the very same students who go into the field knowing they will be screwed over in the future and still go for it, then come back later on the forums to ask if anyone found a job or to ask if anyone knows anyone else that can connect them with others. It's harsh and facts obviously do not lie." RandomDuck (Medical student, 4th year at StonyBrook)

Other indirect responses to my initial request:

6)."On one level, I think I'm comparing pharmacy's job market to those of other healthcare professions, which are all still in much better shape than pharmacy's. Also, even though it is a good point that most other real-world jobs don't have utopian job markets that are as good as the circa-2005 pharmacy market, I think that the majority of other professions' job markets are at least better off than pharmacy's. I think the fallacy is sort of similar to trying to insist that the lawyer job market is now just a "normal" job market in a similar state to most other professions', when in reality their job market really is objectively in bad shape."- PAtoPharm

7). "One thing I didn't think of when replying was that other health professions have a degree of autonomy that pharmacy is just barely scratching right now. So even if in the future there is an oversupply of dentists (in some places, there are), optometrists, etc... you can still work as yourself in perhaps a limited capacity. That is, you don't have to rely on an employer for work the way pharmacists generally have to do (is opening your own store even a realistic option anymore? doubtful, the last person who seemed to be successful on here is about to get tossed in federal prison, I presume). Like...if you're a really lame dentist, you can still open a clinic and see patients with state insurance that seemingly no one wants to take. I had a childhood friend whose father was a dentist, and their clinic was in their house. Seriously, I'd come over to play Nintendo and this entire wing of the house was a dental office and the mom ran the office."- confettiflyer

8). NYC/Long Island pharmacist job market is appalling.-samven582
9).I hear there are literally no jobs at all in these areas, and it's been like that for a few years now... - Me
10).Jobs are there but full time is rare.-samven582

Anyways, AGAIN...this is for people who want some real insight, and are tired of hearing it from other users on this forum like I was. In the end, its your decision no matter what and no one can stop you. But at least this information is here now from real people in the field. The private messages I wont release because they're private but they all were unanimously in agreement with the public posts I shared.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did you know that your friend already made a thread talking about the very thread you are talking bout now? Gave the title of the tread and everything...

Nobody's denying the saturation, but jeez how many threads are you and your friends going to make about the field? It is highly annoying.

Please, PLEASE quit wasting your time on here. If you're in school, drop out right now! If youre not, spend your time searching for a career instead of repeating the same thing over and over and over in here.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you know that your friend already made a thread talking about the very thread you are talking bout now? Gave the title of the tread and everything...

Nobody's denying the saturation, but jeez how many threads are you and your friends going to make about the field? It is highly annoying.

Please, PLEASE quit wasting your time on here. If you're in school, drop out right now! If youre not, spend your time searching for a career instead of repeating the same thing over and over and over in here.

You obviously didn't read my post. I know that... I mentioned in that guys thread that I would ask for advice because there were concerned individuals in it who didn't really know like me. So I mentioned and promised that I would ask and update everyone for real. Again, don't get so mad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen I was following that thread for awhile and saw that you did post in it to promise people you would update them on what the real pharmacists say. I understand you got quite a few responses and it's long so maybe that's why you made it into another thread. But these people don't need more threads of it, they're obviously furious and tired of seeing it being rubbed in their face all the time (especially those guys who seem to all like each other comments at the same time in most threads). Anyways...this can be VERY useful for future or prospective students, and that person clearly doesn't understand that. But in all honesty this saturation issue/topic is getting redundant.

Reactions: 1 user
This is exactly what I was trying make them see though. They know it too. Even I think this is getting to be too much lol. But yea intelligent and good points are made.

Listen I was following that thread for awhile and saw that you did post in it to promise people you would update them on what the real pharmacists say. I understand you got quite a few responses and it's long so maybe that's why you made it into another thread. But these people don't need more threads of it, they're obviously furious and tired of seeing it being rubbed in their face all the time (especially those guys who seem to all like each other comments at the same time in most threads). Anyways...this can be VERY useful for future or prospective students, and that person clearly doesn't understand that. But in all honesty this saturation issue/topic is getting redundant.

That's not the point! You all seem to miss it. All one has to do is google "pharmacy job outlook" and bam! It's all over the internet. If they still come to SDN to ask for help on applying, clearly they don't care! If they come to this forum specifically, they'll see 10+ threads on the front page about the saturation. If they STILL ASK FOR CHANCE MEs..... they don't care!

Everyone with a smart phone who's interested in pharmacy knows about the saturation, they just. Don't. Care.

So stop trying to save SDNers because they don't want to be saved. Check out PAtoPharms thread, who was warned last year to not apply but still went to pharm school and regrets it. Ppl will do what they want to do.....

So just keep commenting on past threads, and stop making new ones

That's not the point! You all seem to miss it. All one has to do is google "pharmacy job outlook" and bam! It's all over the internet. If they still come to SDN to ask for help on applying, clearly they don't care! If they come to this forum specifically, they'll see 10+ threads on the front page about the saturation. If they STILL ASK FOR CHANCE MEs..... they don't care!

Everyone with a smart phone who's interested in pharmacy knows about the saturation, they just. Don't. Care.

So stop trying to save SDNers because they don't want to be saved. Check out PAtoPharms thread, who was warned last year to not apply but still went to pharm school and regrets it. Ppl will do what they want to do.....

So just keep commenting on past threads, and stop making new ones

The last thread I made was a little over three months ago asking for Pharmcas advice lol. I'm not making threads left and right. If this makes you so mad (which it clearly is) then why even reply to these posts. I even bolded out who these threads are for, you are clearly not in that group. So why even reply? Stop being so angry, it shows.

The last thread I made was a little over three months ago asking for Pharmcas advice lol. I'm not making threads left and right. If this makes you so mad (which it clearly is) then why even reply to these posts. I even bolded out who these threads are for, you are clearly not in that group. So why even reply? Stop being so angry, it shows.

I think she's right though. Most of the pre-pharmers are in the denial or anger phase. They will either 1) deny that there is saturation, 2) deny that they will be affected by saturation ("I'll work 3 jobs through school, get a 4.0 GPA, be the president of 2 clubs, and move literally anywhere after I graduate"), or 3) get angry at you.

It'll all be followed by bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
I think she's right though. Most of the pre-pharmers are in the denial or anger phase. They will either 1) deny that there is saturation, 2) deny that they will be affected by saturation ("I'll work 3 jobs through school, get a 4.0 GPA, be the president of 2 clubs, and move literally anywhere after I graduate"), or 3) get angry at you.

It'll all be followed by bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

For #2, it actually works for quite a few people haha. At least the ones going into residency and fellowship-based stuff. But anyways, 1 and 3 is right in terms of pre-pharmers. I'm just glad I'm done with school LOL, and I guess at least I get to do multiple things in my job ^^. Speaking of which, if anyone's looking for jobs in Boston, I have a hospital I can connect you with. You just need 2 years of hospital exp req / residency preferred :).

For #2, it actually works for quite a few people haha. At least the ones going into residency and fellowship-based stuff. But anyways, 1 and 3 is right in terms of pre-pharmers. I'm just glad I'm done with school LOL, and I guess at least I get to do multiple things in my job ^^. Speaking of which, if anyone's looking for jobs in Boston, I have a hospital I can connect you with. You just need 2 years of hospital exp req / residency preferred :).

Wait you're asking for people who need jobs in a prepharm sub forum? Uhm...maybe you should give that out to people in the pharmacy forum...they really seem like they need it there...

Wait your asking for people who need jobs in a prepharm sub forum? Uhm...maybe you should give that out to people in the pharmacy forum...they really seem like they need it there...

Oops, I'm like doing 5 things at once, my bad. Thanks! Will do LOL.

There will always a job for pharmacist, but the competition is getting tougher and tougher. Back in the old days, you can just need a BS.Pharm and get your license to practice. Then came Pharm.D. Now if you want to practice in hospital, you need residency PGY1, then came PGY2....and then came BCPS, BCCOP.
The real main issue that not many people focus on is the ridiculous expanding in pharmacy schools. This is due to easy money made from opening a pharmacy school. After all, a class size of 100 student with 45K/year/student = 4.5 million/year. Say a school has 3 year program, then you have P1, P2, P3 ...multiply them all 45k/student/year x 300 students = 13.5 million/year. Cost to hire/pay professors (say 20 professors , each 100K/year) = 2 million....11.5 millions left to pay for rent, fees, employees....easy net 4-5 millions/year left.

The bottom line: we need to stop pharmacy school expansion. As long as school expands, students will enroll. Likewise, students need to be informed about how difficult it is after graduation with job hunting. Once you have less students = school might close....then the supply will eventually ease off with the demand. Too much supply for now..........sorry if I have run-ons, grammar errors due to fast typing.

Reactions: 1 users
There will always a job for pharmacist, but the competition is getting tougher and tougher. Back in the old days, you can just need a BS.Pharm and get your license to practice. Then came Pharm.D. Now if you want to practice in hospital, you need residency PGY1, then came PGY2....and then came BCPS, BCCOP.
The real main issue that not many people focus on is the ridiculous expanding in pharmacy schools. This is due to easy money made from opening a pharmacy school. After all, a class size of 100 student with 45K/year/student = 4.5 million/year. Say a school has 3 year program, then you have P1, P2, P3 ...multiply them all 45k/student/year x 300 students = 13.5 million/year. Cost to hire/pay professors (say 20 professors , each 100K/year) = 2 million....11.5 millions left to pay for rent, fees, employees....easy net 4-5 millions/year left.

The bottom line: we need to stop pharmacy school expansion. As long as school expands, students will enroll. Likewise, students need to be informed about how difficult it is after graduation with job hunting. Once you have less students = school might close....then the supply will eventually ease off with the demand. Too much supply for now..........sorry if I have run-ons, grammar errors due to fast typing.

Yea just reading more and more of the posts from the pharmacy thread is....just straight up terrifying.

Yes, it's really sad to see tbh. A lot of my friends who graduated last year are now floating. Working two jobs that are far apart from each other like that...is just insane. No one can find a job anymore if they don't do residency. And even at that, they're aren't even many residency type positions available. Doing residency after pharmacy school? Seriously? Lol, what a joke.

Yes, it's really sad to see tbh. A lot of my friends who graduated last year are now floating. Working two jobs that are far apart from each other like that...is just insane. No one can find a job anymore if they don't do residency. And even at that, they're aren't even many residency type positions available. Doing residency after pharmacy school? Seriously? Lol, what a joke.

I mean if you're really passionate about it, then go for it haha. Residency is really fun when you're learning a ton and you really enjoy clinical aspects. Other than that, don't do it just because you want a residency/a job. Because you will be miserable and you will not enjoy it.

I mean if you're really passionate about it, then go for it haha. Residency is really fun when you're learning a ton and you really enjoy clinical aspects. Other than that, don't do it just because you want a residency/a job. Because you will be miserable and you will not enjoy it.

This is true. People should work and find if they have passion for it, because this job really calls for that more than anything.

How long has your job hunt been for a full time?