in love with anesthesia! should I pursue any further?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi...

I don't know how this happened but in the middle of my medicine rotation, I fell in love with anesthesia. I doing a rotation in a big hospital in NY and I got into talking with a few anesthesiologists and spent some time with what they were doing and LOVED IT.

My question is: I'm a Ross Univ student (Caribbean) and my step 1 score was 234/98. Do I have a realistic shot at matching into a good program? I ask because I don't know many people in this field and was hoping for some guidance. Is it within my reach? I'm not sure what the scores anesthesia residencies look for. I read that the average was around 220, but I'm assuming that may be a bit misleading in my case since most are US grads. Any advice would be awesome. Is there anything I can do in the next year to make myself more competitive.

thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

How does one "fall in love" with a discipline of medicine? :rolleyes: No, you're in the infatuation phase. Love is not just about how cute you think he is and how he makes your naughty bits all tingly. That's infatuation. You don't know nearly enough about the discipline to be "in love" with it yet.

Isn't there a Caribbean forum? I suggest going there.

-copro

Last edited:
competitive programs in desirable locations are, at this time, as a rule, not accepting IMGs.

however, you should be able to match somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have a realistic shot at matching into a good program?

Probably not... BUT... do not limit yourself to only good programs. I left a career in another field looking for an open CA-1 spot. All I found was a very low ranked program. 3 years later, I had my residency certificate, a top 5% passing board score, and arranged many electives to get extra training in areas we were weak in. In the end I made a point to have training as good as anyone else. Don't rule out the field if you can't get into a "good program."

hi...

I don't know how this happened but in the middle of my medicine rotation, I fell in love with anesthesia. I doing a rotation in a big hospital in NY and I got into talking with a few anesthesiologists and spent some time with what they were doing and LOVED IT.

My question is: I'm a Ross Univ student (Caribbean) and my step 1 score was 234/98. Do I have a realistic shot at matching into a good program? I ask because I don't know many people in this field and was hoping for some guidance. Is it within my reach? I'm not sure what the scores anesthesia residencies look for. I read that the average was around 220, but I'm assuming that may be a bit misleading in my case since most are US grads. Any advice would be awesome. Is there anything I can do in the next year to make myself more competitive.

thanks for all your help!

Rock step 2. You got an uphill battle being an IMG, but persistence and hard work will pay off. Apply to 40-60 programs broadly. Do away rotations. Good luck! Take a look at charting the match outcome data for IMG, will give you an idea on scores and competitiveness.

Do well at external rotations. Get good letters. Do well on step 2. Apply broadly. The worst they can say is no, but all you need is one to say yes on match day. Don't let the cranky negative people get you down. I've seen people from Ross interviewing at competitive places.

I'm a little surprised people are being so negative! Your step scores and IMG status won't get you into the top 10s, but it should get you into a "good" program, where "good" is:
Humane program with fun residents and decent career opportunities

If you're aiming for the top 10s, you're fighting an uphill battle. But if you just like the field and are happy to train somewhere generally respected, a lot can be accomplished with some good away rotations, letters, and a slight increase on step 2. Never underestimate the essay, and apply widely.

Really good advanced planning can go a long way. Good luck!

If you are a hot chick with a pleasant personality, you'll likely get in wherever you rotate.

Word on the street is that there is some solid truth to this as far as gas admissions go...Except at super-competitive places it's not all-or-none, more like it will just give you the upper-hand over the occasionally less attractive male applicant. Definitely one of those areas the charting outcomes refuse to account for, unless that's what all those unknown scores are all about. :rolleyes: