In Memoriam: Radiation Oncology 1969-2019-A Tribute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that a new year is upon us, let us take a moment to remember those we have lost in the last year. I ran across this tribute to our old friend radiation oncology.

Radiation Oncology, the formerly competitive and inspiring specialty, died in late 2019, the American Board of Radiology announced.

The once prominent specialty struggled in recent years to attract talent. At the end of 2019 it was clear that the end was eminent. Hospice was initiated. The pearly gates opened, and Radiation Oncology reunited with its old friend nuclear medicine.

Radiation oncology was born in the late 1960s to the American Board of Radiology. The early years were quite a struggle for the specialty. The only prerequisite for admission was a pulse. “We used to have so much free time we convinced ourselves that radiation biology was useful” quipped Paul Wallner, one of the first radiation oncologists. “We continued this time-wasting charade until 2018 when residents started to understand the uselessness.”

Over time the specialty grew. Residents that spoke some English and were on the spectrum began to matriculate in the mid to late 1990s.

The heyday began in the early 2000s with the advent and growth of IMRT. The fossilized founders of the field were kicking and screaming. “You mean to tell me I have to know the tumor’s location and draw it on this computer? I’ll just keep 100% resident staffing for attendings in perpetuity instead” Ralph Weichselbaum, one of the oldest fossils in medicine, was quoted as saying at the time.

Reimbursement increased significantly and lagging not too far behind was competitiveness of the specialty. Nearly two decades of highly qualified residents followed the reimbursement increase.

Academic radiation oncologists became jealous of their ever-richer private practice friends. They went to their chairs and threatened to only remain in academia with 100% support with a highly qualified nurse practitioner. A “resident” as they called them.

Over time the academic attending’s skills died faster than radiation for lymphoma. Fortunately, Chairs protected the fossils. While the resident was doing all the work, the fossils did research to show that radiation was unnecessary. They spent the remainder of their careers advocating for omission of radiation.

Cracks began to form in 2013 when a brave resident published that physician supply may outstrip radiation demand. He made such controversial statements as “If demand decreases and supply increases the job market may be impacted” he continued his verbal assault by saying “maybe we should look into this”

The consternation was quick and harsh. “We knew he was right, but we had to pretend like everything was great. I couldn’t have attendings contouring and writing notes” said Dennis Hallahan, his former chair at Washington University. “Instead I just blackballed his a** and had the fossils play along. That probably ended up buying us about 5 more years where we could expand the residency cohort into oblivion.”

“I knew ASTRO was going to sit on their hands because I paid Ben Falit to tell them the Feds would do a raid if they advocated for their constituents job prospects.” Hallahan chuckled. “I knew they were gullible, but I didn’t know they were that gullible…hahahahah”

Over time residents caught on to their limited job prospects. It remained quiet until 2018.

“That’s when all hell broke loose” said Lisa Kachnic. “These kids didn’t know their radiation biology and Paul Wallner was mad about it. We wrote an editorial calling residents stupid. Then we failed half of them on their boards.” Lisa was becoming increasingly agitated during the interview.

“Back in my day you just kept your head down and bowed to the fossils. I said prayers to a shrine of Luther Brady. Now these residents have the gall to ask questions.” Kachnic continued her diatribe. “They even criticized me online. The millennial's call that cyberbullying. I mean, I know we failed them all, but I was the victim of some tough questions. They made me explain myself.”

Lisa Kachnic became too upset to continue the interview. When her term ended with the ABR she started a cyberbullying support group for baby boomers.

After failing worthless boards, the residents realized their colossal mistake. They went through 5 years of training in a dying specialty only to be called stupid for not knowing protein MDE876ER56821.

Attendings and residents alike gathered on an underground, dark web forum called Student Doctor.

“I tried for two hours to access it but couldn’t quite get there. I was hooking up my phone cord, blowing on it, checking for a dial tone, calling tech support, powering down power up. I even went on my roof to make sure there wasn’t any fresh Minnesota snow on my satellite dish. The neighborhood kids that won’t get off my lawn thought I was Santa. After all that I still couldn’t get dialed into Student Doctor. Instead I dialed up twitter and called them malcontents” said Ken Olivier who is one of the newest radiation oncology fossils.

When Olivier was told everyone can access and post on Student Doctor, he paused in disbelief.

“They don’t have real doctors there. How am I supposed to black ball the career of someone named ‘medgator’? I can’t find medgator’s healthgrades page. Is medgator their first name or last name? If I see them on twitter, I could personally attack them for having opinions.”

In the interim jobs continued to decline, and residents continued to complain. They started publishing papers about their concerns.

“As soon as I read that paper, I knew I had to act” said Louis Potters. “We just recently opened a program and I knew we would get criticism if residents had concerns about the job market. I pulled out my typewriter and pecked away. The first thing I came up with was “concerns”. It was ingenious. I PUT IT IN QUOTES!!! HAHAHAHAH” he exclaimed while slapping his knee.

Since his department now has resident slave labor, Potters had his resident transcribe his scroll into electronic form for journal submission. “When I was a resident, we had chalk and X-ray film. Now that I have residents, I have reverted to typewriters and stone tablets. It’s like the good ole days when residents didn’t speak unless spoken to.”

The divide between academics and everyone else increased. Some wise academics removed their heads from the hind quarters of Simon Powell. “It was quite refreshing to listen to different points of view” said Rahul Tendulkar. “I realized other people can also make points.”

This was controversial.

When we asked Paul Wallner if people under the age of 70 can have opinions he said “Lisa Kachnic and I are brainstorming and drafting a manuscript on this very topic. Since it is not yet published, I cannot divulge many details. The title will be ‘Not Only No, but Hell to The No’. The millennials like saying ‘hell to the no’, I’m not sure what it means.”

Wallner was clearly trying to placate the millennials with the title. He was still distraught after his google search of “Ok boomer” only showed pictures of himself counting money that he received from the fraudulent billing practices at 21st century oncology. “Only the government thought it was fraud, the ABR saw it as a resume building experience to qualify me to fail residents on their boards.”

As controversy increased and jobs decreased, medical students stopped applying to radiation oncology. “Why would I waste all this training to be lucky to get a job practicing on the Frontier” said one medical student.

“Neha Vapiwala thought she was helping the field when she said there were plenty of jobs in Cambodia and on the Frontier” the medical student continued referring to a recent article on alternative careers for unemployed radiation oncologists. “I couldn’t help but think to myself, ‘Why in the f**k would I want to have to be lucky to practice on a Frontier’?”.

“When Neha Vapiwala packs her Conestoga wagon and heads out West maybe I can take her job.” The medical student went on to say medical oncologists can practice in the same country in which they train. There are no publications in JAMA oncology talking about helping Russian physicians learn about chemotherapy as a career.

The final nail was bundled payments and a change in the supervision requirements. Private practices stopped hiring. When they needed more physicians, they offered “fellowships.”

The last qualified radiation oncology residents will finish up and head to the Dakotas or Cambodia if they’re lucky. The rest will leave medicine to make room for reentry of non-English speaking foreign medical graduates on the spectrum seeking visa sponsorship opportunities.

Ralph Weichselbaum was at the funeral but did not show remorse. “Residents can go be pediatricians. In the meantime, I’m going to keep terrorizing University of Chicago residents until they come with a body bag and wheel barrel into my office.”

ASTRO was also present for the funeral but declined to comment because they think they are under surveillance by the anti-trust division of the feds. “We can’t comment on radiation oncology’s death. We aren’t allowed to advocate for the specialty” they whispered under their breath.

Lisa Kachnic gave the euology. She blamed small programs for the demise of the specialty. She said the data to back up her claim is still maturing. She was confident she was right this time as opposed to the last time she claimed small programs did worse on board exams. That statement led to a forced retraction one year later. “I still make no apologizes for the ABR board fiasco and I am the victim of cyberbullying so f**k off” were her final departing words to radiation oncology.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the debt of current residents. Cambodia does not pay as well as we had hoped.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users
Either I have a touch of radiation proctitis or this was very funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that is an epic screed.

Comedy may be exaggerated but does hold an element of truth.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
F

Reactions: 4 users
This is obviously satire but theres a lot of truth in here, the best humor. Our specialty faces significant challenges and has a grave crisis of leadership. Here’s to hoping “rad onc rocks” are right!

PF38Sgw.jpg

Rumor is the official t-shirt for ASTRO 2020 has been finalized. To be included in the welcome gift bag along with a box of kleenex, a 90 day supply of prozac, a pack of newports and a fifth of johnny walker red (they splurged this year), and a self-help book titled "How to make $1000 a week selling star wars action figures on ebay"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
PF38Sgw.jpg

Rumor is the official t-shirt for ASTRO 2020 has been finalized. To be included in the welcome gift bag along with a box of kleenex, a 90 day supply of prozac, a pack of newports and a fifth of johnny walker red (they splurged this year), and a self-help book titled "How to make $1000 a week selling star wars action figures on ebay"

Man see you peeps in Miami just for that.

PF38Sgw.jpg

I sell this on ebay, and once you're out in practice a few years you realize, Matrix-like, "there is no circle" and all your contours become ovals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I sell this on ebay, and once you're out in practice a few years you realize, Matrix-like, "there is no circle" and all your contours become ovals.

I should have expected no less from the scarb. This is true, learning how to draw a circle in 10 years would be quite a feat since pi is an irrational number making the task of drawing a circle essentially impossible!

Better?

I should have expected no less from the scarb. This is true, learning how to draw a circle in 10 years would be quite a feat since pi is an irrational number making the task of drawing a circle essentially impossible!

Better?

just keep zooming in and change to high-res structure XD

Members don't see this ad :)

Better?
you know me

Funny post for the OP (in a depressing sort of way), but how could you write a fake eulogy for rad onc that didn't involve needless palliative chemotherapy and radiation up until the point of death??? Such a missed opportunity....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
When are the breadlines coming? Post your pridictions.

terrible no good programs to be hit first

When are the breadlines coming? Post your pridictions.

terrible no good programs to be hit first
Will be interesting to see how it pans out this year.

Class of 2019 was disproportionately affected by ABR malfeasance/incompetence.

Class of 2020 will be disproportionately affected by supervision requirement changes.

I think there is a close to zero percent chance that 200 radiation oncology graduates are gainfully employed this summer.

Maybe class of 2021 will get APM roll out fun to deal with during their job search. The kicking while we are down in unending.

The other issue is the utter lack of innovation.

The fixation on deescalation and omission and systematic reviews. The biggest names in the field cheer this nonsense on.

How can you in good faith want to attract students into a field you are actively trying to kill?

There’s no broad based inquisitiveness and little desire to really push the boundaries. The biggest collection of wasted talent really.

And now the bean counters are having their day in the sun with the APM.

RO probably died 15 years ago its just taken us this long to realize we’ve been walking in the walls all these years.

Reactions: 6 users
At least, we are going to take all the surg onc down with us :)

The best experimental FLASH data put the incremental benefit for tissue sparing at about 30%, meaning that is the best we could theoretically just kick up the dose and maintain similar toxicities. There is currently no way to administer flash conformally with protons (the Bragg peak is put beyond the target ie: outside the body) or with conventional linacs (the gantry cannot move that fast). Together, this means we really need to develop machines that can administer conformal FLASH to see real clinical gains.

Leadership in various forms claim they want new blood, new innovation, new ideas.

They then proceed to promote & hire old blood and old ideas, decrepit and slow-moving, from within the same circles and same closed walls.

It certainly sounds like a recipe for not only stagnation, but denial. Sycophants, rejoice!

• Love
The best experimental FLASH data put the incremental benefit for tissue sparing at about 30%, meaning that is the best we could theoretically just kick up the dose and maintain similar toxicities. There is currently no way to administer flash conformally with protons (the Bragg peak is put beyond the target ie: outside the body) or with conventional linacs (the gantry cannot move that fast). Together, this means we really need to develop machines that can administer conformal FLASH to see real clinical gains.

What is the reference?

Leadership in various forms claim they want new blood, new innovation, new ideas.

They then proceed to promote & hire old blood and old ideas, decrepit and slow-moving, from within the same circles and same closed walls.

It certainly sounds like a recipe for not only stagnation, but denial. Sycophants, rejoice!

So true. Innovation is buying up private practices to fuel growth. Exhibit A is the City of Hope ad on the ASTRO site.

FWIW, I think if for the "innovation" portion of our field we need to be really watching these prostate SBRT trials (PACE A/B)....then if we're seeing no survival difference or DFS difference between surgery and radiosurgery....

We need scorched earth NCCN, SUO, ASTRO, and CMS guidelines push from ASTRO/the field that every man with prostate cancer has to be seen by a rad onc before choosing definitive treatment for prostate cancer. None of this note from the urologist that says "talked about radiation with him and he chose surgery."

same goes for stage 1 lung if VA trial completes enrollment as well and is favorable.

There’s multiple animal studies demonstrating the effect in this range and it’s why these authors chose their doses. Read Vozenin’s papers to start with.
It’s great that this is being studied, but this does not have theoretical potential to be transformative. Hyperthermia, and maybe even hyperbaric had similar radiation enhancing ratios. Flash or sbrt for oligomets is not going to save the field. In medonc even the majority of phase II randomized trials are negative in phase 3. (This point was made by a medonc at Astro when discussing the oligomet trials.)

It’s great that this is being studied, but this does not have theoretical potential to be transformative. Hyperthermia, and maybe even hyperbaric had similar radiation enhancing ratios. Flash or sbrt for oligomets is not going to save the field. In medonc even the majority of phase II randomized trials are negative in phase 3. (This point was made by a medonc at Astro when discussing the oligomet trials.)

The oligo met debate at ASTRO this year was pretty disappointing especially when you’re own people think it’s probably BS.

Well, that's not what the article says.

18Gy single fraction to whole abdomen and not 100% deaths from it is not "tissue sparing at about 30%". (no deaths at 15, "some" 20% weight loss at 18>euthanasia). Data I saw was more like 30% more physical dose iso tox.

As is, it is at the level of peritoneal carcinomatosis cure for radio-sensitive tumors, and close to curative doses for almost everything else if we can modulate a little bit. (and all this even before fractionation...)

It was confirmed on cats with no DLT at 41Gy single fraction on skin and nasal mucosa with G2-3 acute and G1 late tox.

This can go pretty fast. Give 30Gy whole brain (imaginable, 1x30Gy on skin giving NO acute tox) and start to see GBM mice undying is all it needs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Data I saw was more like 30% more physical dose iso tox.

This can go pretty fast. Give 30Gy whole brain (imaginable, 1x30Gy on skin giving NO acute tox) and
Yes, physical dose iso tox. So if you used the same dose one would expect less tissue toxicity with FLASH. I don’t like to write technical language to a general audience.

Last edited:
Yes, physical dose iso tox. So if you used the same dose one would expect less tissue toxicity with FLASH. I don’t like to write technical language to a general audience.

No, you get it backwards.

« incremental benefit for tissue sparing at about 30%, meaning that is the best we could theoretically just kick up the dose and maintain similar toxicities. »

You say: same dose, 30% less tox
I say: 30% more dose, same tox

I’ve shown 2 references to prove my point.
You just invoked a name.
And « 30% tissue sparing » makes no sense because toxicity is function of the dose.

« I don’t like to write technical language to a general audience. »

Just be gentle on the algebra...

Last edited by a moderator:
same goes for stage 1 lung if VA trial completes enrollment as well and is favorable.
Does anyone know how the two trials for Stage I are going NSCLC (STABLE-MATES & VALOR)?

I think VALOR is accruing quite well.

Not sure about STABLEMATES

I think VALOR is accruing quite well.

Not sure about STABLEMATES
Googling stablemates, looks like the last update in Oct 2019 said they were preparing for interim analysis.

Don't remember if I saw it on the clinicaltrials.gov page or the website for the trial itself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Radiation oncology was exhumed from its grave to perform an autopsy. The academics and new medical student matchers had blamed SDN as the cause of death.

Final autopsy report shows signs of Covid.

Best of luck in the job search everyone. Let's add Covid and the subsequent economic consequences to the APM, supervision changes, residency expansion, decreased utilization, and omission of radiation.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
$1000/day slave wage rad onc locums make more than that per week
It's close. I know some rad onc locums making $1000/day. Factoring in tax-freeness for the nurse pay, the distribution curves overlap. I just never thought the curves would ever even touch. Also not to be overlooked: the nurse is making ~$5000/week for 4 days work.

I thought that was an interesting way to present it. Made me think, "what's the catch?" Perhaps they only have 4 patients on treatment, so you only get $350 for the day.

The catch is getting to West Plains, MO amid a global pandemic.

Maybe this pandemic will scare some of the dinosaurs into retirement at last.

Expanding, I honestly don’t know what next years’ seniors are going to do for jobs.

Chairs rushing to develop fellowships as we speak.

Expanding, I honestly don’t know what next years’ seniors are going to do for jobs.

Chairs rushing to develop fellowships as we speak.

Maybe

Multiple year fellowships like path. Average will be 2 fellowship years.

No. Stop with the hyperbole. We're not even at a point where 1 fellowship year is 'normal' like in DR or Path.

Next year's seniors are not, on average, going to have to do 2 fellowships to get a job.

• Haha
I’d think quite the opposite

Why? When speaking of dinosaurs I think the reptilian brain's self-preservation instinct takes precedence over the desire to continue sunbathing and feasting off the hunts of the younger lizards.