In need of academic advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determinedyouth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 20 years old and having difficulty figuring out what my next step is, everything is seeming a bit difficult to manage. I went to an early college high school and entered my freshman year of college with 60 credits. I've always wanted to enter the medical field in hopes of being a sports medicine doctor. I know that I still stand a chance in achieving this goal but i'm not to sure how.

My current situation is that I am a senior with a low GPA and because I have to many credits (114). I have been notified that my GPA doesn't have much of an opportunity to improve. I was told to apply for a second degree, or a post bacc program. My dilemma is that the process to taking any of those routes aren't being explained to me properly and i'm reaching out in hopes of getting some clarification on what I can do to achieve my goals of getting into medical school or a DO program

I have not taken the MCAT yet , my current cgpa is 2.3 and my sgpa is 1.5 I do not have all of my prereqs. I am currently shadowing and volunteering. The reasons for my low grades is because I wasn't aware of how the credit system worked regarding to being able to retake classes and cumulative gpa. The advisors at my school aren't the best,when I go into their office all they say is that they can't help me. i've basically been going through school trying to figure things out on my own. Now that its coming down to the end and I found out this information about how credits and gpa actually works I feel extremely stuck. I'm 20 years old and can really use some guidance, hopefully i'm not to late.
Your advice will mean so much to me,thank you in advance I hope to hear from you soon !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am having difficulty figuring out what my next step is, everything is seeming a bit difficult to manage. I went to an early college high school and entered my freshman year of college with 60 credits. I've always wanted to enter the medical field in hopes of being a sports medicine doctor. I know that I still stand a chance in achieving this goal but i'm not to sure how.

My current situation is that I am a senior with a low GPA and because I have to many credits
(114) my advisors told me that my GPA doesn't have much of an opportunity to improve. I was told to apply for a second degree, or a post bacc program. My dilemma is that the process to taking any of those routes aren't being explained to me properly and i'm reaching out in hopes of getting some clarification on what I can do to achieve my goals of getting into medical school or a DO program

Your advice will mean so much to me,thank you in advance I hope to hear from you soon !
We need to know your stats.

What is your current cumulative GPA? Science GPA? Have you taken the prereqs for most schools? Why did you perform poorly- has the problem been alleviated?

What was the trend of your GPA across each year of university (by credit)?

Have you taken the MCAT?

Have you shadowed a DO? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO or MD? Do you have clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not knowing how a credit system works doesn't give you low grades, being bad at the work or not doing it is how you get low grades.

Can you get all As for a semester? Have you? Those two questions are important moving forward

Not knowing how a credit system works doesn't give you low grades, being bad at the work or not doing it is how you get low grades.

Can you get all As for a semester? Have you? Those two questions are important moving forward
you're absolutely right, I have been retaking the classes i've done poorly in , so that I get into the next courses. I have succeeded in improving those grades. I know it is possible for me to get As that is my goal for this semester

you're absolutely right, I have been retaking the classes i've done poorly in , so that I get into the next courses. I have succeeded in improving those grades. I know it is possible for me to get As that is my goal for this semester
What is your last semester gpa?

We need to know your stats.

What is your current cumulative GPA? Science GPA? Have you taken the prereqs for most schools? Why did you perform poorly- has the problem been alleviated?

What was the trend of your GPA across each year of university (by credit)?

Have you taken the MCAT?

Have you shadowed a DO? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO or MD? Do you have clinical experience?
I am 20yrs old I have not taken the MCAT yet , my current cgpa is 2.3 and my sgpa is 1.5 I do not have all of my prereqs. I am currently shadowing and volunteering. The reasons for my low grades is because I wasn't aware of how the credit system worked regarding to being able to retake classes and cumulative gpa. The advisors at my school aren't the best,when I go into their office all they say is that they can't help me. i've basically been going through school trying to figure things out on my own. Now that its coming down to the end and I found out this information about how credits and gpa actually works I feel extremely stuck. I'm 20 years old and can really use some guidance, hopefully i'm not to late.

I only have 12 credits towards my sGPA
That's good news. As of now, there is no MCAT score that will get you into any school. My guess is you'll need 60 credits of 3.8+ postbac to get your cGPA up above a 3.0. The key to fixing GPA for DO schools is get your GPA above the screens (usually 3.0) and string together a couple of fantastic 3.8+ semesters. I got in with a 3.1 GPA and a great upward trend.

That's good news. As of now, there is no MCAT score that will get you into any school. My guess is you'll need 60 credits of 3.8+ postbac to get your cGPA up above a 3.0. The key to fixing GPA for DO schools is get your GPA above the screens (usually 3.0) and string together a couple of fantastic 3.8+ semesters. I got in with a 3.1 GPA and a great upward trend.
would you advice going to another school for my postbac?

would you advice going to another school for my postbac?
I don't think it matters. Just do whatever you can to get the prereqs done while maintaining a 3.8+. My postbac was at my local state school, my degree was from a University.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it matters. Just do whatever you can to get the prereqs done while maintaining a 3.8+. My postbac was at my local state school, my degree was from a University.
Thank you so much for your help

Thank you so much for your help
Good luck! I was in your boat two years ago (better GPA but way more credits). Here is my post asking about my odds from when I got my MCAT score back a few months ago. My low GPA never came up in either of my interviews which I'm guessing is a sign that adcoms don't care so much about overall GPA as long as you have a really good upward trend.

DO - 3.16 cGPA 3.44 sGPA 505 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user