In need of advice: 502 MCAT, 3.88 cGPA, 3.85 sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oppie9192

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in July for the first time and received a 502 today. I am devastated since I spent so much time studying and scored much higher on the practice exams (509 on Kaplan, etc) - I have no idea what happened because I felt well after taking the exam. I have pretty good extracurriculars too, and I feel like the MCAT is the only portion holding me back. I also submitted 15 applications to top, mid, and low tier schools.

If I retake the MCAT on August 19th (one final push). Will I have a chance for some US medical schools such as some of the SUNY schools and some much lower tier schools? I'm horrified right now. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a decent shot for DO this cycle. If you take the MCAT in August that'll put you pretty late in the game for MD schools this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a decent shot for DO this cycle. If you take the MCAT in August that'll put you pretty late in the game for MD schools this cycle.

I wish I could apply to DO, but my prehealth committee packet has been prepared for MD only. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in July for the first time and received a 502 today. I am devastated since I spent so much time studying and scored much higher on the practice exams (509 on Kaplan, etc) - I have no idea what happened because I felt well after taking the exam. I have pretty good extracurriculars too, and I feel like the MCAT is the only portion holding me back. I also submitted 15 applications to top, mid, and low tier schools.

If I retake the MCAT on August 19th (one final push). Will I have a chance for some US medical schools such as some of the SUNY schools and some much lower tier schools? I'm horrified right now. Any advice is much appreciated!!!
I had essentially the same stats and received plenty of love from DO schools. You're not too late!!

It will depend on your state and the rest of your ap.
I had essentially the same stats and received plenty of love from DO schools. You're not too late!!

Did you also apply to MD schools? I'm worried that my applications to all the lower tier MD schools will go to waste now. :(

I'm going to retake the mcat August 19th (one final push) and pray it's higher (like my practice exams). Then, When the scores come in on September 20th, I'll update all of the schools with the new score. I feel like this is all I could do.

I'm going to retake the mcat August 19th (one final push) and pray it's higher (like my practice exams). Then, When the scores come in on September 20th, I'll update all of the schools with the new score. I feel like this is all I could do.
Rapid fire re-takes usually pile up into a serious impediment to success.
A single weak score can be overcome; multiples, not so much.
I have just finished screening a bunch of them...

Did you also apply to MD schools? I'm worried that my applications to all the lower tier MD schools will go to waste now. :(

Would you rather your MD apps go to waste with no acceptance, or get into a DO school?

A 502 is, I believe, circling the drain for MD schools. I can't recommend, except your state school.

Thank you! I've done a lot of thinking and I know I can do much better on the MCAT. I thought more about the mistakes I've made and I know what to change in regards to my studying habits now. If I don't get in this cycle, I want to retake the MCAT for a more competitive score for MD schools and apply for the 2018 cycle.

Considering my cGPA/sGPA (3.88 and 3.85) and consistent clinical experiences, would you advise this path? I'm curious to know because I highly doubt that I will be getting in to a medical school this cycle.

You're fine for a number of DO schools. So your path to being a doctor is one year shorter than by waiting a cycle to up your MCAT and aiming for MD. But if you're boning for that MD, then apply with the best possible app, even if it means skipping this cycle.

Thank you! I've done a lot of thinking and I know I can do much better on the MCAT. I thought more about the mistakes I've made and I know what to change in regards to my studying habits now. If I don't get in this cycle, I want to retake the MCAT for a more competitive score for MD schools and apply for the 2018 cycle.

Considering my cGPA/sGPA (3.88 and 3.85) and consistent clinical experiences, would you advise this path? I'm curious to know because I highly doubt that I will be getting in to a medical school this cycle.